Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

VG Nationals Tip of the Day - Kaboom!

mysterioustrainer

One combo that is going to catch everyone by surprise every time you have to face it has to be explosion protect combo. Now there are ways around it and you can sure take a quick advantage by avoiding it.

Anyone using Explosion is bound to use it right off the start of the battle and are sure not going to use it if its their last one or two Pokemon in the battle. So the first step is preparing your potienial leads with the ability to avoid or survive Explosion damage. The move Protect is often used on an Explosion team in two on two play in order to prevent losing the Pokemon bound to suffer its team mate's wrath. So why you use Protect or Detect? If you can squeeze either of these moves on at least two of your Pokemon you are bound to survive alot better against such nasty combos.

If you can't afford to squeeze in at least two Protects then make sure one of your Pokemon has a Focus Band. It usually kicks in on such a nasty attack.

Now there are other ways to counter Explosion when it comes. First it will help to learn each of the top-evolved Pokemon capable of learning Explosion:

Golem
Muk
Gengar
Electrode
Exeggutor
Weezing
Sudowoodo
Forretress
Steelix
Corsola
Smeargle
Shiftry
Nosepass
Swalot
Camerupt
Torkoal
Lunatone
Solrock
Claydol
Glalie
Metagross
Regirock
Regice
Registeel

Now while any of these have a potienial to knock out your Pokemon in a single hit look out for Electrode alone since it outruns most Pokemon, and also look out for Shiftry if Sunny Day is in effect. If a Groundon comes into play right off with Shiftry its a guarentee Explosion tactic to predict. Shiftry is virtually faster than anything out there with its synthesis ability which increases its speed when it sunny. Yeah, these two Pokemon your best bet is to kick in Protect before they launch their attacks.

If you know a Pokemon is going to blow up with Explosion, and you don't have the means to block its attack, focus all of your attacks on the Exploding Pokemon and not the other, because most likely that Pokemon will use Protect, Dive, Dig, Fly, Detect, or anything else to avoid the attack. Also watch out for Ghost Types as they make great partners to Exploding Pokemon. If you see a Ghost Type come out try and knock it out before the other Pokemon Explodes, you may get lucky and take another of your opponent's team member out with his own attack!

Well that is it for today. Best of luck, and get ready for a bang when you go to J.A.A.

Also look out for Snorlax, it learns a STABed Self Destruct making it more brutal than most Exploding Pokemon with its already great Attack power.

Another Groudon team up to look out for is Exeggutor, since it also gets the Synthesis Speed boost.

And to all those using the Exploding teams, dont forget in XD its possible to catch Duskull, Bannette, and Sableye with Helping Hand!!!! Just plain WRONG!!!!

Ermm, you say Electrode is your best bet for an Explosion Pokemon? Well, errmm I would rather have a Pokemon with a higher attack. =/ The 3 best Pokemon I think that can be used in good combos for the 2-2 metagame are:
Shiftry
Exeggutor
Metagross
Snorlax

Yeah, don't use Electrode to explode.

Ancient Pokemon Trainer said:
Ermm, you say Electrode is your best bet for an Explosion Pokemon? Well, errmm I would rather have a Pokemon with a higher attack. =/ The 3 best Pokemon I think that can be used in good combos for the 2-2 metagame are:
Shiftry
Exeggutor
Metagross
Snorlax

Yeah, don't use Electrode to explode.

Electrode can still do Damage, but 99% of the time it will be Choice Banded, it really needs the extra boost!!! Its so Fast little outspeeds it

Shiftry and Exeggutor are best bets in a Groudon team. In Sunny weather, same as Electrode, little out speeds it

Meta and Lax are a bit slow, but there defenses/HP help keep them alive long enough to Blow Up. The Regi's also fit this catergory.

Gengar is semi speedy with a decent AT too

It's chlorophyll btw, not synthesis.

You got the shiftry wrong. if they're smart, they'll have fake out on shiftry and swords with groudon, then do the sexplosion combo next turn, only to end up killing everything with groudon later with his insane uber attack. watch out for that. and I have protect on ALL of my pokemon.

My goodness people, will you stop it with that? -_-;

Back to the topic, I think that explosion is a good strategy... I may plan to use it in my team to some extent... but it kinda hurts knowin' that my pokemon is faintin' itself for me ^_^; I know, I know, ya'll think I'm crazy... but when you love Pokemon as much as I do, and while trainin 'em to lv 100, you'll no doubt get attached to em. ^_^

Protect is really a must for at least some of your pokemon on your team, even if you dont use explosion, b/c you know other people will, and ya gotta protect!

Oh sweet, I didn't know Protect was a TM... eheh ^_^; I know that probably sounds stupid coming from a veterin player like me... but hey, we don't know it all, right?

in the planning stage right now, but come sunday, I will have an Emerald version to work off of and Ho! Will I ever be busy preparing, but I've already started the tech work.:biggrin:

Sounds cool. ^_^ I'm still deciding what Pokemon to use for sure, but like I said previously, I'm definitely gonna use my good ol' Snorlax. It's level 91 now... just 9 more to go!

Back