Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Vilegar takes Coral Springs FL - 1st Place Masters Report

Rob-GAJP

I was very happy as yesterday Melissa from our league ( Outland / Miami ) had taken the Lauderhill, FL Cities with BLG beating another Outland Player, Jorge . So today another fun day of Pokemon was ahead of us, and out of 3 options I decided to go with my Vilegar version with a few techs. Andres went with his own one of Vilegar, and Juan Pablo went with Machamp / Donphan. So some 22 masters and 5 rounds … here we go,

Round 1 with Dawn / Luxchomp + DGX
She started strong to my bad start + a Roserade GL lock that did not allow me to retreat for 3 turns , so she was able to use trainers long enough to set up a couple of Dragon Rushes and take 3 prizes, but once I set up and lock trainers I came back strong, lost-zoned Lux X and Garch X and hit poltergeist for a ton for all my prizes.
1-0

Round 2 with Brad / Machamp + techs
Brad is a great Orlando player and a great guy, we seem to always play each other regardless of tournament, which is always a pleasure. So He got a scary T-1 Machamp SF and 3-straight take outs to my spiritombs while I was setting up, but the key moment was when I was able to lost zone his Machamp prime on hand, to then poltergeist my way to the rest of the prizes.
2-0

Round 3 with Robert / Uxie Donk
Robert is a player from my league that has improved a ton in the last months. Just trainer lock was deadly for him as his deck is basically all trainers. When I flipped Spiritomb as my starter and got Plume set up in turn 2 he scooped. Sorry Robert ☹
3-0

Round 4 with Kevin / Regigigas Lock
I had horrible draw loosing prizes since turn 1 with my Unown Q start, and Kevin played a smart match taking as many quick prizes as he could before I had a chance to set up, so I was only able to take a couple of prizes + a heads in fainting spell before loosing to a final Regi drag off to my damaged spiritomb in the bench. Well played Kevin.
3-1

Round 5 with Jorge / Gyarados with techs
Jorge is another player and good friend from my league, so I was sad it came down to whomever looses misses the cut here. His deck was a very cool Gyara version, which unfortunately for him was trainer heavy, and he did not start fast to my turn 3 Plume and Gengar ready to roll , so game was sealed after shadow rooming Regi , seekering his lone benched basic and Poltergeisting his active Mew for game .. Jorge had taken 2nd the day before at Lauderhill with a great performance.. Sorry my friend ☹
4-1

So swiss finished with a bunch of us at 4-1, I made 1st due to resistance, with Robert V on second, Kevin on 3rd and Brad in 4th ( played them all in swiss .. weird ) . So top 4, here we go,

Top 4 with Brad / Machamp + techs
1st game was like our swiss match , with SF Machamp taking out my spiritombs early , but his bench was not too strong and after the 1st poltergeist he could not keep up. 2nd match was about the same, with weakness and no trainers the entire game it was hard for him. He’s a great player and I’ve lost to him in the past, so this one came down to the wrong matchup for him.

Top 4 with Robert V / Uxie Donk
I knew that these matches would come down to who went second, and whether I was able to lock trainers from turn 1. So unfortunately for Robert game 1 was a spiritomb start with collector in hand, and 2nd one was a Gastly start ( both by the way going 1st ) with pitch dark, also with collector in hand for turn 3 Plume .. He scooped right after Plume setup in both games. Sorry Robert , and it was great to see you making top 2 already in Cities , after your earlier top cut in BR’s . Hope to see you cutting many more times in the future !

So here it is, Vilegar does it again. There are many new/improved though decks out there, but with trainer lock + the right techs the purple Ghost can give a lot of trouble to many of them.

Andres went 3-1 in Seniors but did not make top-2 due to resistance, and Juan Pablo went on to take Juniors with his Machamp Donphan build. Not a bad Sunday for the family !

Props,
Another smooth tourney from Heidi, Michelle and her team , great work !
Congrats to Danny who took the win on Seniors
The Miami crowd growing larger in representation at the premier tournaments .. not only Robert, but also Melissa, Julio, Gio, Grether, Samantha, Emil , Petros .. along with the regulars Benji, Jorge, Gaby, and Kenny coming back .. I’m happy to see them all having fun an doing well
Vilegar is indeed a contender this winter
The weekend in South Florida was taken by Miami Outland , with 1-2 in masters both days !

Slops,
None

Thx for reading. Hope to see many more Vilegar wins over the Cities season.

Last edited:
grats again Roberto :) sad i got 5th seed both days... lol see ya next week.

Thx much Jose ,

I am sure you'll take one of the remaining ones , your deck is really good and it's certainly in the right hands.

Suddenly our plans for Orlando are likely not happening, so hope to see you, Brand and the Orlando crowd in January in Outland ! take care.

Last edited:
Good job Roberto on your cities win. All the best to you and your family!

Hey Alex, thx man , all the best for you, Lorenzo and the rest of the family !

and congrats for Destiny's win on Juniors also , well done !

see you in States early next year . Take care.

Last edited:
Good Job. BTW. No one should ever feel the need to apologies to a Uxie Donk player for trainer lock. With out Vile-gar out there, Uxie donk is completely broken in the format.

I'm curious, was Gengar Prime very helpful or would you rather play another SF?

Gengar Prime is very situational , but if you use it at the right moment it can indeed swing the match in your favor with no return for your opponent .. it combos great with Lookers to make sure your attack will be worth it sending some juicy stuff to the lost zone vs. another potential prize with poltergeist. Also, if that one Gyarados or Machamp Prime or Blaziken X is 2, 3 or 4 counters from being KO, then Cursed Drop can also be devastating .

Like with any other deck, best advice is to throw it into your Vilegar version, and playtest extensively vs. your Metagame to see if it fits your playstyle.

I personally like it a lot.

Back