Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Volbeat Missle (MD-on)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunchris

Ok so here it is. I told those at the Prerelease that I would totally make this work and I think I found a way. Its meant to be a fun/semi-competitive deck and tournament legal of course. Feel free to comment but please don't bring up the Machamp issue...no one plays that at my league so far...:eek:

So here is the list:

Pokemon:18
4 Volbeat TM
4 Illumise TM
2-2 Masquerain SV
1-1 Landmin X
1-1 Vespiquen UD (SF Combee)
1-1 Metapod HS

T/S/ST:28
3 Bebe's
4 Pokemon Collector
2 PONT
1 Switch
2 Interviewer's Questions
2 Twins
2 Flower Shop Lady
2 Great ball
2 Black belt
2 Expert Belt
2 Pokemon Rescue
2 Warp Point
1 Luxury Ball
1 Judge

Energy:14
2 Rescue Energy
12 :grass:

Strategy: The Objective of this deck is to get as many Volbeat as you can onto your bench. Hence the Great balls, Collector, etc... with a Illumise as your active. At most times I can get 3 on the bench then I use Illumise's Vulcan Beat for 1 :grass: and you flip a coin for each Volbeat in play and for each heads the attack does 30 damage. Also Illumise has a Sweet Scent attack that lest you remove 3 damage counters from 1 pokemon. By having 4 volbeat in play your max damage would be between 0-120 damage (140 with expert belt, 180 with BOTH expert Belt and Black belt if behind in prizes) but again its a risk and I like risk but that is some pretty good damage for just 1 energy. The Volbeat are also the sniping pokemon for it can hit any bench pokemon for 30 if Illumise is in play.

The Techs:
1-1 Vespiquen UD: This pokemon is to help with the sniping that a certain "SP" and other pokemon can do to my bench by protecting my benched :grass: pokes. I'm very familiar with this strategy so this is a main tech in the deck. Also if one of my Volbeats/Illumises are in the discard when I play down the Combee I can get one of them back.

1-1 Landmin X: Of course this is for adding those extra precious HP to my pokes. At first I was going to play Snowpoint but decided against it but with snowpoint, expert belt and Landmin, my Volbeat and Illumise have a max HP of....150! :eek: But I decided to keep the Snowpoint out cause otherwise it makes it harder to take out those pesky basic pokes at the beginning of the game

1-1 Metapod HS: Okay so with Triumphant I saw a addition of fire pokemon to everyone's arsenal of cards but of course that pesky Blaziken FB will just love this deck considering almost all my pokes are x2 weak to :fire: but with the addition of Metapod even Blaziken will have trouble!

2-2 Masquerain SV: So I had a hard time finding another poke...I didn't want Sunflora casue it would just clump up my bench and its attack is horrible. Considering I'm running a deck with little energy I decided to go with this poke. Only requires 1 energy to attack, its a deck drawer attack, and it can help reduce damage by 20 to all pokes when its active, and a free retreat cost. Its like a bundle! :thumb: :lol:

Deck Changes:
-2 SSU
-1 Switch
+2 Warp Point
+1 Pokemon Collector

Last edited:
Black Belt is good, but I think that this deck is more of a speed deck than a setup deck, so you will almost always be ahead in prizes. There is a pretty good chance you will have a Pokemon Collector in your opening hand, so you will hit up to 140 on your first turn.

Speaking of Pokemon Collector, add the 4th; you need to spam your basics as early as possible to get set up to do mass damage.

Also, I feel 2 SSUs aren't worth it; either drop them or add 2 more. If you only run 2, you won't draw into enough of them to reliably flip heads to return a Pokemon to your hand.

Er, wouldnt bench space be a very big problem? Considering that u will have ur landmin out and a vespiquen out, you only have space for 3 volbeat on ur bench. And if u face a fire deck, u need a metapod out, which means only 2 spots for volbeat. And this is considering that you are not saving another bench space to set up a second illumise.

Lol, I played Illumise/Volbeat at my prerelease and it was sooo broken. I think that the 1-1 Landmin only slows down your deck. Maybe try Dual Ball instead of Great Ball

-2 Great Ball
+2 Dual Ball

-2 Switch
+2 Warp Point

-1-1 Landmin
+2 Uxie maybe?

so ready to see it in action... you followed through from the prerelease statement of building this and you did!

Black Belt is good, but I think that this deck is more of a speed deck than a setup deck, so you will almost always be ahead in prizes. There is a pretty good chance you will have a Pokemon Collector in your opening hand, so you will hit up to 140 on your first turn.

Speaking of Pokemon Collector, add the 4th; you need to spam your basics as early as possible to get set up to do mass damage.

Also, I feel 2 SSUs aren't worth it; either drop them or add 2 more. If you only run 2, you won't draw into enough of them to reliably flip heads to return a Pokemon to your hand.

Yeah he SSUs were a small controversy when first building but after testing I found out that I really didn't need them. So I'll take them both out and replace them for a 4th Collector and maybe something else.

Drop the 2 switch for 2 warp points. Perhaps run an azelf seeing as you run multiple 1-1 lines? Good deck, I like it.

The switches are a personal preference but I do see the point for the warp points that others are making when playing this deck. Most of the time the switches are for the techs...In this case they get brought up. Since I'm taking out the SSUs I'll maybe go 2 warp points and 1 switch with the 4th Collector

Er, wouldnt bench space be a very big problem? Considering that u will have ur landmin out and a vespiquen out, you only have space for 3 volbeat on ur bench. And if u face a fire deck, u need a metapod out, which means only 2 spots for volbeat. And this is considering that you are not saving another bench space to set up a second illumise.

I see the point that you are bringing up with the bench space but most of the time my maximum Volbeat on the bench is 3. By the time I get that setup my opponent takes out 1 of my volbeats. I also have to determine what situation that I'm. Will HP and bench protection be enough or am I dealing with a situation that has weakness as a problem. There are many different bits of strategy and combination for the different situations.

Lol, I played Illumise/Volbeat at my prerelease and it was sooo broken. I think that the 1-1 Landmin only slows down your deck. Maybe try Dual Ball instead of Great Ball

-2 Great Ball
+2 Dual Ball

-2 Switch
+2 Warp Point

-1-1 Landmin
+2 Uxie maybe?

:lol: Of course its BROKEN thats why I play it! For now until they change the effect of Great Ball its going to stay in it. Yest Dual Ball is fine but its flippy just like the rest of my deck and I prefer to keep that flippyness down to a minimum as much as possible. Again I'm already switching out the Switches for warp points. Would the Uxies actually help the deck...sure it lets me draw cards but I almost always have the full hand with this deck. It also take out the tanking ability for my deck...So I think Landmin will stay for now.

so ready to see it in action... you followed through from the prerelease statement of building this and you did!

I tend to always follow through on ideas. Who knows I might show up at Cities with this to see how it runs in a competition. :lol:

-2 Interviewers Questions
+2 Cyrus's Conspiracy

-1 Judge
+1 Crobat G

-2 Flower Shop Lady (you are already running 2 Rescues and 2 Rescue Energy)
-1 Switch
+3 PokeTurn

Crobat really works well with Volbeat's attack, plus adding extra damage with Illumise can be handy. The only problem with adding Crobat would be over teching issues, as you are already running a lot of techs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back