Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Volt Rush

Status
Not open for further replies.

Napoleon

I stopped playing for about 6 months so I am far behind all the new stuff that has come out. I heard about Kingdra and Regigigas decks and thought of a way to counter them. I realise that this deck is far from perfect. It is merely a work in progress. Here is my deck:

4-2-2 Luxray DP
2-3-2-2 Raichu Lv.X
2-2 Claydol

Pokemon - 21
4x Roseanne's Research
4x Bebe's Search
2x Rare Candy
4x Poke Drawer +
2x Professor Oak's Visit
2x Energy Restore
3x Night Maintenance *Edit* 1x Night Maintenance
2x Time-Space Distortion
2x Premier Ball
1x Luxury Ball
*Edit* 2x Conductive Quarry
*Edit* 2x Switch

Trainers - 26

11x Lightning Energy

Energy - 11

I will go into futher detail for each important Pokemon card.

Luxray DP

Luxray is the first of the main attackers in this deck. It has a good 120 hp so it can take a blow or three. It is a lightning type so decks like kingdra will be devastated by weakness. Luxray also has a Pokepower. The text reads:

"Once during your turn, when you play Luxray from your hand to evolve one of your Pokemon, you may look at your opponent's hand. If your opponen'ts bench isn't full, choose 1 Basic Pokemon from your opponent's hand, and put it onto his or her bench. Then, switch it with the Defending Pokemon."

What does this mean? Put simply, when you evolve into Luxray via candy or Luxio you can pick any Basic Pokemon in their hand, put it on their bench and whack it into the active position. This has many qualities. First, it allows you to get rid of any "big guns" that are hitting your pokemon hard. Second, It allows you to force your opponent to waste and energy on retreat, and may give you a free kill via snipe. Finally, it brings up a weak, defenseless pokemon which you can normally ko in one shot. You are now one step closer to winning, all thanks to a power.

Now, the attack is very different. It does 80 damage for 4 Lightning energies. That may be considered meagre by some, but wait. The attack has an effect, which reads as follows:

"Move all lightning Energy attached to Luxray to 1 of your Benched Pokemon. (Ignore this effect if you don't have any Benched Pokemon.)"

80 damage may be considered small for 4 energies, but it adds up. The effect also allows you to go straight into what I call a "Rai Rush". I will talk about that in the Rai Rush section.
The only downsides to Luxray are its retreat cost of 1, which is still not much of a setback as the energy can be recovered, and it's weakness to Fighting + 30. The weakness is not a problem either, as the energy from Luxray's attack will be given to another Pokemon and not lost with Luxray if it is Ko'd.

Luxray also has a resistance -20 to steel.

Raichu Lv.X

Raichu Lv.X is the second of the main attackers in this deck. It has 110 HP, slightly less than Luxray but still a good amount. Raichu spends less time attacking than Luxray, but when it attacks, it is devastating. Raichu Lv.X has a Pokebody called Link Lightning. This Pokebody reads:

"Once during your turn, when you put Raichu Lv.X onto Raichu and use Voltage Shoot, you may use another attack or Raichu afterward. This power can't be used if Raichu is affected by a special condition."

A great Pokebody. This lets you do 2 attacks in a row! How much better can you get?
Forgive me for being cliched but it can get better.

Raichu Lv.X has the single attack Voltage Shoot. The attack costs 2 lightning and 1 colorless. The attack is as follows:

Discard 2 lightning Energy cards from your hand and choose one of your opponent's Pokemon. This attack does 80 to that Pokemon. (Don't apply weakness and resistance for benched Pokemon.)

This works well with Luxray's power. If Raichu is active you can evolve into Luxray on the bench, bring up a weak Pokemon to the active postition and snipe a strong one on the Bench.

Raichu has got a drawback. I will not deny that Fighting x2 is a lot for a weakness. But look on the bright side. In a battle against Machamp Lv.X, for example, Luxray will hit for 140, pass the energy on to Raichu, Luxray is Ko'd, Energy is still in play because of Luxray, Raichu can hit with a weak attack and deal with Machamp. 1 prize for 1, one Stage 2 for a Lv.X. AND Raichu can still use a powerful attack on the next Pokemon sent up.
Raichu has a resistance -20 to steel. I will say right now that EVERY SINGLE POKEMON IN THIS DECK HAS A RESISTANCE -20 TO STEEL. Hehe, Magnezone, bring it on.

In addition to all of this, Raichu has a free retreat cost. Very good for manoeuverability.

Raichu

I use the MD Raichu, mainly because as is stated at the top of this article, I have not played for a while and I need to get some new cards. It's not bad, though. It has 90 health which is good for a Stage 1, it has an extremely powerful attack and has a free retreat cost. Raichu's "extremely powerful attack" Thunderbolt, is the final part of the Rai Rush.

For 2 lightning and 1 colorless you can deal 100 damage at the cost of all of the energy cards attached to Raichu. This is very quick to charge up and is POWERFUL.
If I had them, I would definitely use the Stormfront Raichus so that I only would need to discard 3 energies and from any of my Pokemon.

Raichu has Fightning +20 weakness and -20 Steel resistance. The Rai Rush also works with the SF Raichus and it is better with the SF Raichus. If anyone wans to make this deck, I recommend you use the SF Raichus.

The way to decide which Raichu to use is like choosing the right Regigigas in a Gigas deck. Which one supports the Lv.X the most?
The MD one has the possibility to become invincible for a turn, which is all well and good, but the the SF one can hit 30 for free, 50 for 3:colorless and move one energy to the bench and can also hit 100 and choose where the energy gets discarded from. SF Raichu > MD Raichu.

Claydol

Claydol is here for straight draw power. Nothing more than that to say.

Pichu

Why is Pichu in here, the important card section? Not to evolve into Pikachu, I will tell you that. Pichu is NOT here to evolve, or to deal damage. It is here for its awesome attack, Electric Circuit. It is free, which allows you to stall for a turn with Pichu and allows you to get UP TO 4 lightning ENERGY FROM THE DISCARD PILE. FOR FREE. All those discarded Thunderbolt energies? No Problem. Paying for Luxray's retreat? A walk in the park. Pichu will probably get knocked out, but not after you have refreshed your hand and your Pokemon.

Time-Space Distortion

Technically this card is not a Pokemon but I will talk about it anyway. I am sure that most of you know what it does, so I will not go into great detail about it. In this deck, it revives Luxrays and Raichus and most imporantly Pichus. With TSD you can get back a knocked out Pichu and keep getting back those discarded energies.

That is the end of the detail section. Next up is the Rai Rush.

The Rai Rush :lightning:lightning:biggrin::lightning:lightning

What is the Rai Rush? :confused:

Put simply, the Rai Rush is a combo using the Pokemon Luxray and Raichu Lv.X. It allows you to KO almost any Pokemon on the field OR get two KOs in a single turn.

How do you do it?

During the following sequence you need to have 3 Lightning energies in your hand OR 2 Lightning Energies and a form of switching OR have 2 Lightning energies and be ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE that your opponent will have to kill your Luxray. Just by the way, the Rai Rush BURNS energy.

First of all, you need a Raichu on the bench NOT LVLED UP!:nonono::nonono::nonono:
Next, you need a Luxio with 4 Lightning Energies on it.
Put the Luxio into the active spot. Evolve! GLEAM EYES an opponent's weak basic into the active spot (something with 80 or less health for maximum shock effect, or something that could become annoying, like a Machop or a Magnemite).

KO the Pokemon with Lightning Star. YAY! Free Prize!:thumb:
After that, send all of your energies onto Raichu.
During your opponent's turn they will either kill Luxray or not kill Luxray. If they do, they get a prize and are even with you. If they don't, you are one prize ahead and about to PWN them. Let's say that they don't kill Luxray.

When your opponent is done, immediately bring Luxray to the bench with Switch etc. or with the retreat cost. Bring up Raichu. Slap on your Raichu Lv.X. The next bit is tricky.

If your opponent has a powerful Pokemon like Regigigas, Mewtwo Lv.X etc. (NOT INCLUDING MACHAMP LV.X, I will explain later) in the active position, you need to get rid of them so that the rest of your game is not threatened by them. Hit them with Voltage Shoot and then with Thunderbolt. We have just gotten 2 prizes very quickly. This is the Rai Rush.

If your opponent instead has a Pokemon with 100 or less HP and no resistance to Lightning, you can do the True Rai Rush. Hit a benched Pokemon for 80 damage with Voltage Shoot and KO it. You now have taken 2 Prizes. Next KO the active Pokemon with Thunderbolt! You have taken 3 Prizes in the space of 2 turns. :eek:

There is one other combo in this deck. This I call Chain Star.

You start like you are doing the Rai Rush, except you need a Luxio on the bench.
In your hand you need as many Lightning Energy as possible as well as two Luxrays.

First you get a Luxio with no energy on the bench and a Luxio with 4 energies active.
Evolve the ACTIVE Luxio and GLEAM EYES to get a weak Pokemon active.
KO and pass the energy to Luxio.
Retreat Luxray or use Switch etc. to get Luxio active.
Evolve into Luxray and GLEAM EYES to get a weak Pokemon active.
KO and pass the energy to Luxray.
Retreat Luxray, bring up Luxray, Lightning Star, pass energy to Luxray, rinse and repeat.
To get the energies back use Pichu or Night Main or Energy Restore.

This deck does take some time to set up, but is a killer when combos are activated.

Matchups:

Regigigas

This depends on how fast you can get a Chain Star or Rai Rush happening. If you get a Rai Rush and then link that into a Chain Star you can get a win without much hassle. If you were reading the article and soaking everything in you would remembe that the Rai Rush can take a lot of prizes and restrict a Regigigas's Sacrifice chances. Note that the Chain star is infinite as long as you have Lightning Energies or a method of retreating for free. This is why I include a lot of Energy Retrieving cards.

Kingdra

You want to start with a few basics. Kingdra gets smashed by the True Rai Rush, Rai Rush and by Chain Star so you want to stall with anything possible so that you can get a combo happening.

Scizor/Cherrim

This matchup is difficult. The way to play is to use pokemon like Luxios and Pikachus while building up a True Rai Rush. Chain Star does not work because after you have dealt with the Scizors, the Cherrims will damage you badly. You need to do the opposite of Regigigas. You need to Chain Star for as long as is safe (not too long or you will be crushed) and then do a True Rai Rush to clean out all of your opponent's Cherrims. Without Cherrim, Scizor is easy to deal with. Note that if you let Scizor get an Accelerate kill then you will be getting smashed for a turn.

Machamp

Oof. They have weakness on you as well as speed. There aren't many pluses for you - expect the Rai Rush to come in handy. As I mentioned before, Machamp decks are different for Rai Rushing. You can actually do a True Rai Rush on Machamp because Machamp Lv.X's power means that Thunderbolt OHKOs it.

I haven't tested against Dusknoir or Gengar, AMU or Mewtwo yet.

Ideas to put in:
Raichu SF
Luxray LA (Problem is, no more Rai Rush, Tru Rai Rush or Chain Star.)
Switch
Warp Point
Lake Boundary

I have decided that I will take out one Raichu and put in another Raichu Lv.X. This means that I can do 2 Rai Rushes more easily and also gives me a better chance of getting Raichu Lv.X in the deck.

Thanks for reading the whole article.

It took me a while to do this and I would appreciate all comments. :thumb:

Just by the way, don't flame me about my matchups. That is what I have experienced against those decks. I might be lucky or my deck might just be good. I appreciate people telling me about their experiences but let's keep it clean.

I particularly would like comments on the decklist and what to put in and take out.

Napoleon

Last edited:
As much as the Rai Rush combo seems powerful, I have a feeling that to maximize consistency and speed you'd have to choose between either Luxray or Raichu.

How is this better than Luxray (Stormfront) though and a few Energy Pick-Ups (Legends Awakened)?
You could add one of those for tech. You could also use some Conductive Quarry (Stormfront) if you want to use Raichu and Bronzong (Stormfront) to get energy in your hand.....

Maybe:

-2 Night Maintenance
+2 Conductive Quarry

How is this better than Luxray (Stormfront) though and a few Energy Pick-Ups (Legends Awakened)?
You could add one of those for tech. You could also use some Conductive Quarry (Stormfront) if you want to use Raichu and Bronzong (Stormfront) to get energy in your hand.....

Maybe:

-2 Night Maintenance
+2 Conductive Quarry

Because the Rai Rush and True Rai Rush enable you to get 2-3 fast KOs and have powerful pokemon on the field. Luxray LA is good, but you can only have 4 Energy Pickups in your deck. Shock Bolt and Plasma are good attacks, but provide only single KOs. Furthermore, Luxray LAs strength will die down after a few turns, while the Luxrays and Raichu in my deck work well together and keep working well together.

I agree with the Conductive Quarry idea and now that I think about it,it is good for getting rid of Dusknoir Lv.X.

Edited Decklist.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

I actually completely overlooked that line.

Yes, drop that for 2-2 Claydol and 2 Uxie, and see how that treats you.

Hehe, I thought it was kind of weird when you didn't mention the Manectric.:lol:

I didn't think of Claydol when I made this, though it is a great idea. I'll put that in.

Do you think that 2-2 Claydol 1-1 Uxie may be better though? Or even 1-1 Claydol 2-2 Uxie? Although that may be going a bit extreme.
The thing is, with Uxie Lv.X on the bench you can keep getting more and more cards rather than a one-off thing. Plus, Zen Blade could be the thing in a time of strife.

For now I will put in 2-2 Claydol 1-1 Uxie.

Edited Decklist

Last edited:
You seem to need your bench, you might not even want to run Uxie. But Uxie Lv X is probably not too smart here - you either wait for a KO to happen, Lv X, and retreat, or burn a switch, or leave it up front for a turn... and no matter how you slice it, that's not a winning proposition for how you've stated you want to run your deck.

You seem to need your bench, you might not even want to run Uxie. But Uxie Lv X is probably not too smart here - you either wait for a KO to happen, Lv X, and retreat, or burn a switch, or leave it up front for a turn... and no matter how you slice it, that's not a winning proposition for how you've stated you want to run your deck.

I agree. Uxie uses up vital bench space. Electric okemon have the least Hp of all pokemon in the TCG so I need all the space I can get. I think that I will get rid of the Uxie line and put in two Switches.

My 2 cents worth...

As said you need to choose Raichu or Luxray.
If you want an OK Raichu list look at another list I just fixed.
If you go for Luxray here is a fix.

4-2-4 Luxray DP
2-1-2 Magnazone(super conductivity)
2-2 Claydol
1 unown g
1 chatot
Pokemon - 21

3x Roseanne's Research
4x Bebe's Search
4x Rare Candy
2 cynthias
4x Professor Oak's Visit
2x Night Maintenance
1x Luxury Ball
2x Conductive Quarry
2x warp point
Trainers - 24

11x Lightning Energy
4 call
Energy - 15

I see your point but still, the Rai Rush combo does work. I like the Magnezone idea of yours. I might be able to do:
-4 Poke Drawer +
+1-1-1 Magnezone
+1 Lightning energy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back