Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Voltorb/Electrode DP3?

fieryseraph

So I've been thinking about this card, trying to figure out how it would be used. I really like to play cards that are a little unconventional, or that will frustrate/surprise the opponent, and I think this one fits that description, but does it meet the functionality test?

So it suicide-bombs itself... with an added bonus of the one-energy acceleration. If the basic stage was the one that provided the acceleration, I think I might run to stuff a few of these in my deck, but by the time you get the stage one built up... seems like there are better ways to accelerate, and it seems too slow to do multiple times just for that purpose.

Perhaps this is an early-game disruptor? Someone is relying on thier castform/budew/chingling, and you blow it up? At least it keeps you even on the prizes.

Maybe this is useful after you get ahead on prizes? Then while your opponent is recovering, you blow up a few electrodes to accelerate the end of the game...

I had the idea to combo it with the DP Machamp for his revenge attack, but after re-reading the card, it specfically says that the KO has be caused by your opponent. D'oh!

So what are the other ways people are going to use these cards?

===============================
Voltorb L.29 – Lightning – HP50
Basic Pokemon

[L] Speed Ball: 20 damage.
[L][C] Explode: 50 damage. Voltorb does 50 damage to itself.

Weakness: Fighting (+10)
Resistance: Steel (-20)
Retreat: 1

-----------------------------------------
Electrode L.42 – Lightning – HP80
Stage 1 – Evolves from Voltorb

Poke-Power: Energy Shift
You can use this Power once, when this Pokemon’s HP is reduced to 0 by damage from an attack. This Pokemon is Knocked Out, discard all cards except this card, and attach it to 1 of your Pokemon as an Energy. As long as this card is attached to a Pokemon, treat it as a Special Energy card providing 1 Energy of every type.

[L][C] Ion Blast: 40 damage. You may do an additional 60 damage. If you do, Electrode does 100 damage to itself.

Weakness: Fighting (+20)
Resistance: Steel (-20)
Retreat: 0
=====================================

here's the list i posted a while ago

QueenTrode

23 Pokemon:
3 Nidoran F MT
2 Nidorina d
3 Nidoqueen d

2 Magnemite DP
2 Magneton PK
1 Magnezone

3 Voltorb SD
3 Electrode SD

4 Corsola SD

21 Trainer:
3 Plus Power
3 Windstorm
3 Team Galactic's Mars
3 Rare Candy
3 TVR
2 Night Maintenance
2 Celio's Network
1 Double Full Heal
1 Crystal Shard

16 Energy:
4 :metal: (Sp.)
4 :lightning
4 DRE [for Trode]
4 Scramble

So... it looks like your strategy is to provide energy acceleration to magneton and provide a boost to nidoqueen's attack by blowing up the electrode?

yup. pretty much, and when he blows up you attach him to queen and Voltorb gets discarded still, so you get extra damage and energy if needed

Back