Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

W via concession

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry, too tired to think of a good name right now

well this deck was thought of just a few days ago, and when it gets set up, people just give up against it, unfortunately it doesn't always get set up....

4 seadot
3 nuzleaf (2 dark, 1 SS)
4 shiftry (3 holo-SS, 1 non)
3 baltoy
3 claydol (HL)
2 absol
1 chimecho
-20-

6 grass
5 psychic
4 multi
-15-

4 stevens
2 POR
2 wally's
3 brineys
3 ER2
3 switch
3 AQUA's hideout
3 reversal
2 rare candy
-25-

well the point of the deck is ABSOLUTE CONTROL..... and when it's set up, it does just that......

claydol requires you to pay 1 more to attack, so no matter what, u have to have 2 nrg to attack, and shiftry makes that nearly impossible, especially for basics...... aqua stadium is there to make ur opponent work even harder to get out of nrg locks, forcing everyone to waste their trainers to retreat.....

to give an example of the lock, i played yesterday with it....... they started with a sparce, me with a baltoy..... i first turn candied into a claydol and dropped the stadium....... now Sparce must retreat for 2 and attack for 2 for either attack, next turn removed the nrg, and third turn i dropped 2 shiftries, and the person just conceded.....

i'm not sure how to make this deck run smoother, but if i can get it to run smoother, i think that this could really be at least a tier 2 deck.....

any suggestions?

Last edited:
hey scott, this is a really nice idea, I'll definately be trying this one out, I'd try and fit DRE's in here, to power up Shiftry cause they're pretty much useless for Claydol's cause they don't add to its attack.

well if thats the muddy eye claydol, which i believe it is, it only affects evolved pokemon...great idea but basics get around it

yeah, just kinda realized that, oh well, i still love the concept....

pablo- i've been thinking that, but if i did, i'd have to lose the absols.....cuz i don't think it'd be a good idea to run such few basic nrgs....

hmmm, if i did take out the absols, who do u think that i should put in for it?

well after some discussions and comparisons with pablo (Mudkip) i decided on a new version...

4 seadot
3 nuzleaf
4 shiftry (3 H, 1 NH)
3 baltoy
3 claydol
2 pidgey
1 pidgeotto
2 pidgeot
-22-

8 grass
4 psychic
4 DRE
-16-

4 stevens
3 Celio's
2 POR
2 brineys
3 switch
3 candy
2 VS seeker
2 hideout
1 atm rock
-22-

basically i gained speed at the expense of some control, but i still have enough to disrupt my opponent........ it runs much smoother.......

any other suggestions?

Shiftry only affects the active, correct?
So somebody could just power up a benched Pokemon and send it out eventually right?
I still see how it would be cruel though. Even if they can get someone up and running, it takes a lot of effort to do so, and once they send it out to attack, you can start lifting off the energy again. That's pretty nice.

I can see this creating major problems for some decks, but hardly any for others. For example, most any Blastoise ex deck would be able to take you down easily. But stuff like WailWallEX would just suffer.

well the one thing about blasty that this deck counters, is that i am returning that nrg from their actives, so they'll be taking more damage from re-attaching....

Bigpoppabeatdown said:
well the one thing about blasty that this deck counters, is that i am returning that nrg from their actives, so they'll be taking more damage from re-attaching....
However if I'm palying Magneton vs your Claydol, I only have 3 energy on him, so I only have to Dance 2 energy max and that's if you have Claydol out and 3 Shiftries benched and they all get heads. 10-20 damage isn't much for all that effort. I still think this deck pretty much folds to Blastoise.

I am not saying it is a bad deck, or a failed idea, just that every deck has a weakness and this deck's big weakness is Blastoise ex.

On the contrary, I think it is a wonderful deck idea and is quite possibly tournament worthy.

this might be random but HL pinsir can help with ur basic problems, although he isnt the greatest card his crust could be enough to pull through

i dont think he should be afraid of basics. He should be afraid of basics that are brought out and evolved that turn that has the potential to severaly hurt his shiftry or even OHKO it (Blaze, etc) I'd actually try to fit an attacker in here. Im never a big fan of splashing Pigeot into decks. It takes a lot of effort to set up, but doesnt always give you the best results. I like your initial one more than your other one. I'd try to use Gorebyss as your attacker. A lock can also result by destroying their most well-built pokemon. As for the hideout, i'd try Ancient Tomb to prevent your Shiftry (which should be your active most of the time) getting hurt from Fire, which is still alive

and one thing this can have problems with BED ;)

Physics- yeah, i admit, i think that it would be a great match, with me losing most of them, but i know i'd give it a run for its money....

RR- yeah, i don't see a basic that i couldn't mess with enough to worry about...... A/M decks shouldn't pose too much of a problem if i can get established.....

David- blaze can't OHKO shiftry, it's got 120hp..... i didn't really splash in pidgeot, i chose it over absol and chimecho because i switched to DRE, so absol was of no use... and why in the world would shiftry be my main attacker??? claydol only works while active, so i WANT CLAYDOL ACTIVE..... that's the whole point of the deck, whatever claydol can't handle, shiftry should be able to..... yes, BED should pose problems, but not as much as u might think..... they'll be forced to think things through more....

any other suggestions?

9 basics doesnt cut it IMO thats why i was playing 4 baltoy, to up my count to 10, ull be mulliganing too much and starting with pidgey alot with 9 basics

well i wasnt saying there was any basic to fear or worry about but there are enough basic hitters like TM Groudon, Groudon ex, Mewtwo ex, Deoxys ex in the Crashing Blue Sky, and so on that maybe claydol can't handle them, but shiftry will be able to so i take back what i said

great deck and i can see why people would give up against it, but the pidgeot is a good idea. It may slow down the deck, but he'll help fill up the bench with Shiftry and cause havoc

-ror

Mudkip said:
9 basics doesnt cut it IMO thats why i was playing 4 baltoy, to up my count to 10, ull be mulliganing too much and starting with pidgey alot with 9 basics

well pablo, starting with pidgey isn't all that bad, i have the search and draw power to get that thing evolved, so then i could really start my searching for baltoy and seadots.....

if i had room, i was thinkin of a lanette's since i play 3 different types..... but that's kinda hard to squeeze in....

Monarchy may have trouble with this deck, but then again it gets set up so fast where as this deck can take a while to set up.

yeah, tho it gets set up faster than u would initially think.....

but i have made one small change

-2 Aqua gym
+2 ruins

i have come to realize that it hurts me just as much as it helps, so i'm gonna try this way for a bit....

also, i found a weakspot in this deck...... SWAMPERT/suicune............ i played against psyduck today...... 2 games, we split....... but the 2nd game, when he got set up first........ my shiftries couldn't hold back the pain of being able to attach 3 nrg's a turn to his active, with no consequences.....

i'm not so sure that claydol is the best choice for this deck....... any other suggestions that would fit with this theme?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back