Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

WailordEX - Laugh, then read....Newman's Folly

Status
Not open for further replies.

meganium45

OK, here is the deck list for what I feel is the most red face paint deck to do well in the City Championships thus far.

2nd overall in Chicago, 1st age division, 2nd overall in Collinsville, IL

The strategy of the deck is simple, hide and go seek with fossils, while you power the big boy up to levl 100 damage on your opponent. Not even the great Amphy EX can take this out in a shot.

Decklist:

4 WailordEX
4 Wailmer

That is all

Trainers
4 Mysterious Fossil
4 Root Fossil
4 Claw Fossil
4 Potion
4 Moo Moo Milk
4 Oran Berry
3 Nurse
1 Crystal Shard
2 Fisherman
1 Weakness Guard
1 Switch
4 Oaks Research
4 Copycat

Energy

12 Water Energy

Before you blow this off, realize this deck did well at two events with excellent players...escaped a few close calls, but dominated some excellent players....

With a CC record of 10-2 at this point, few decks can claim the same success.....

For your reading pleasure....

Meganium45

the only thing I can think of is Super Scoop, but it looks like it could work rather well, watch out for other big hitters though.... Especially Rayquazza and Magneton, I personally have taken down this big Whale with both of these Pokemon.....

It seems ok, but i guess you just fold when you see a wobbuffet? And i know it has 200 HP but thats simple for BR/BAR, etc. they just sit there power up their quaza and OHKO u for two prizes, bring up wobbs and its gg. I dunno. Nice idea though.

Hey Megs
Cool deck. You may be faced with a maximum allowed mulligan time though. They only allowed 5 minutes @ garden CC for mulligans specifically aimed at this deck. As far as amphy, I play mine with buzz to pick away at bench riders. Btw, did you see any amphy in Chicago?

OK, actually, hitting a whale on the bench for 40 is meaningless. It can heal 30 every turn.

Second, a GOOD player knows to keep one of his wailmers around and ready in case of Wobby, or it is game over. I had to stretch to take out 3 wobby in one game before they were all gone....

Electric is a problem, but it gets to be a hide and heal strategy...and Amphy does not hit THAT hard thank goodness.

RaQ, well, RaQ is not a problem for this deck.. play hide and seek until the Ray comes up, then it only has 100 HP, and if you are hurt a bit, that is what the surprise shard is for.

I am not claiming this is the end all deck, just another big deck that is moving from Rogue to accepted as it does well.....

Just glad to see we live in a world where NOTHING out there is beating everything....makes the game require thought.

Meganium45

well vince,

i have suffered that deck's wrath, but i still think that the deck has it's limits and a good bench hitter can really turn this deck inside out........

my omastar/steelix deck would have won had i not gotten screwed by my nrgs in prizes

i don't know, i guess we'll see, i'm sure i'll have to play it saturday...

now what is the name of that energy card that devolves a Pokémon for you? Its another way of getting a wailmer back when they think that their wobby is safe, plus it can be used to conceede a single prize rather than two by devolving an active wailord that is in trouble.

-------

Meg45: How many Bothans (Fossils) had to die to bring us this information?

Warp Energy NoPoke and Meganum I mean after your opponent gets Cradily you switch to Fossil then opponent Warp Point WailordEX out if that is your bench if not they can rapeat Proses.

The Nurse would be good if you could get the energy off Wailord EX (maybe using Energy Switch).

But if you're going to Nurse Wailord EX and have to dump the energy, I'd rather use Briney's, get everything back, then start rebuilding on the bench (or use the retrieved energy to power a 2nd Wailord EX that I had already put on my bench) while hiding behind some Fossils.

Great idea and I like the use of the Shard in here for the reason you gave.

Take a look at Pokemon Park. That's a stadium that would probably help you more than it helps your opponent (since healing increases your attack as well as reducing damage) and it will toss away some of those High Pressure systems the Amphy people play.

Amphy still is a problem. Face it, ether does 80 and paralazed or 140. Super deep dive, go ahead. You still have 110 and you have to bring up a fossil. That only last for one turn. You can nurse but then you have no energy. But this deck does look fun and ineresting.

Ancient Pokemon Trainer said:
Warp Energy NoPoke and Meganum I mean after your opponent gets Cradily you switch to Fossil then opponent Warp Point WailordEX out if that is your bench if not they can rapeat Proses.

APT--- warp nrg??? last time i checked, the nrg that de-evolved the poke was retro nrg, but maybe i'm mistaken :D

i'm just harassin ya

DAVE-- can't briney EX pokes, too bad

NoPoke said:
now what is the name of that energy card that devolves a Pokémon for you? Its another way of getting a wailmer back when they think that their wobby is safe, plus it can be used to conceede a single prize rather than two by devolving an active wailord that is in trouble.

-------

Meg45: How many Bothans (Fossils) had to die to bring us this information?

sorry APT, nope........ lol

Vince
Thanks for the explanation. I have not played this deck nor have I played against it. With all the healing (3 nurse, 4 moo moo, oran, and potion) and super deep dive it is clear that the 200hp ex whale is tough to kill. Sick. What did your 2 losses come from?

Meganium45 said:
RaQ, well, RaQ is not a problem for this deck.. play hide and seek until the Ray comes up, then it only has 100 HP, and if you are hurt a bit, that is what the surprise shard is for.
Ok now I have to disagree with that. Hide and seek behind what? Fossils? They can just stall forever and make you discard your fossils if you want to even attack with Wailord ex. And why would Ray even come up? They should just be attacking with Blaziken or some other pokemon....Also 3 or 4 Wobbuffets should beat it because wailmers can only do up to 40 damage, so they can retreat the wobbuffet after it has taken some damage and just KO the wailmer. But other than the hands down loss to Rayquaza Sceptile Ninetales Wobbuffet and Ampharos it could do good against rogue decks.

Last edited:
Doesn't rayquaza resist water, too? It'll take a hit from your wailord -ex any old day, given that info, and return it twofold. If the rayquaza player isn't playing an aerodactyl -ex, and fear your crystal shard, they'll just do as Venusaur said, and not bring the sucker up until they're ready to take down your wailord -ex.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back