Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Wall of Fire / Whirl Islands

eriknance

I'm putting these gems in here - a couple of nice fixes for the format. Anyone notice any problems with these (I mean, other than the fact that you'd probably have to stop playing SP, Gyarados, and VileGar)?

Rapidash (90 HP/Fire) [Pokemon]

Poke-Body: Wall of Fire
Each player's Pokemon must pay CC more to attack unless that player has 2 or more evolved Pokemon in play.

[F] Sweeping Flame - 30
Until the end of your next turn, ignore all Poke-Bodies on your opponent's Pokemon.

[F][C] Rushing Impact - 60
Rapidash does 30 damage to itself.

Weakness - Water
Retreat Cost - C

-----------------------------------------------------------

Whirl Islands [Stadium]

You can only play 1 Stadium card next to your Active Pokemon during your turn. If a Stadium with a different name comes into play, discard this card.

Any time a player's discard pile has more than 1 Pokemon with the same name in it, those cards are shuffled into that player's deck.

Mostly wording things.

Sweeping Flame should probably be "All Poke-Bodies on your opponent's Pokemon stop working until the end of your next turn" (see: Shiftry RR), and Whirl Islands sounds like it's worded for a different game, but I can't see how it wouldn't work.

I really like the ideas. They're clever and would make the format quite interesting.

Mostly wording things.

Sweeping Flame should probably be "All Poke-Bodies on your opponent's Pokemon stop working until the end of your next turn" (see: Shiftry RR), and Whirl Islands sounds like it's worded for a different game, but I can't see how it wouldn't work.

I really like the ideas. They're clever and would make the format quite interesting.

Hey thanks Kayle, the wording you gave for Sweeping Flame sounds a lot better. :thumb:

Whats the point of the stadium / what does this do against gengar? Maybe im just stupid but I dont get it xD

I imagine the stadium can be read as "haha no magikarps in the discard for YOU, bucko"
And that first attack shuts down the body of Vileplume.

^Yeah, that's the purpose of Whirl Islands, to put pressure on Gyarados decks every time it comes into play. Even though Gyarados can abuse Junk Arm to get multiple BTS in play, it still has to search out its two Magikarp again. Between Whirl Islands and Rapidash, I think Gyarados would face quite a challenge from Stage 2 decks (though I could still see the potential for Gyarados to start running DCE as a way around Rapidash).

May I just suggest Whirl Islands and Jumpluff? You take down one of my Jumpluffs? Odds are its not the first, thus I get a free Night Maintenance thank you very much...
This works for other swarm decks too so I'm not sold on Whirl yet.

What if whirl allowed your opponent to choose? That'd kill swarm decks while still making gyarados much less effective.

May I just suggest Whirl Islands and Jumpluff? You take down one of my Jumpluffs? Odds are its not the first, thus I get a free Night Maintenance thank you very much...
This works for other swarm decks too so I'm not sold on Whirl yet.

I could see Whirl Islands being a problem down the road, kind of how Jumpluff wouldn't have been good without the perfect mix of Claydol/BTS/Night Maintenance. I don't know if the card creators have another Claydol-like card in the mix. If not, it might be fine. I agree with Kayle though, I don't see a problem with swarm decks. Plus, Whirl Islands won't kick in until you've knocked out two of the Pokemon. You could play a Judge to keep Whirl Islands from hitting the table. Hmm...

Back