Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Warrenton/Woodbridge VA BRs 1st

rroaryh

So I was able to go to two battle roads this weekend. On Sunday I went to Warrenton with the other Ivy guys. I had been talking about Bellawesome the week before. Unfortunately I had not the chance to play test and knew nothing about Bell. I eventually (as I fall asleep Fri night) decide to play Torterra. It was a pretty simple list. In August I was playtesting it DP-LA against HP-MD GG and Empo so I felt confidant in it. The list was like this

4 Turtwig
3 DP Grotle
2 MD Tort
1 Dp tort
1 Tort X
2 Treecko
1 Grovyle
2 Sceptile
2 Chatot
2 Claydol
2 Batlo

4 SSU
4 Bebe
3 Dawn
4 Oak
3 Roseanne
2 NM
4 Rare Candy

9 Grass
4 Call

So we are on our way to Warrenton and get Waaaay lost. Mapquest is actually WRONG and we have to keep calling he store to find our way and of course the store directions are LESS then perfect .. like near useless. So we arrive there barely in Time. Nick is playing AMU, Nate Magleaf, Johnny Plox. I feel confidant looking around, A LOT of kingdra.

Round 1 – Dave – Torterra

So the mirror first off? This guy was sort of pokedadish, but totally a cool dude. We had a few laughs. He ges a t2 Tort and I set up relatively speedy, but in the end I have Claydol, He doesn’t, I have scep, he doesn’t GG.
1-0

Round 2 – Jon A – Kingdra

Apparently Jon is playing a budget Kingra after coming back to the game with such jank as … 4 potion? Anways, I t2 earthquake after gong first and WRECK his set up. He eventually gets some semblence of a setup but I have the game BY far.
2-0

Round 3 – Johnny R – Plox

I hate plox …. Ugh. I feel I can take him since I good give old GG a run with this deck. Well I get the treecko start. Which seems to mean with torterra, that whenever you start with treecko … your hand blows. Mine does, I hve teecko and a bunch of Grotle evos .. o claydol optio, a warp point, and a grass energy …. Ugh. I SORT of set up, but Johnny has a nice set up, GG
2-1

Round 4 – Mike P – Tort
I knew Mike was playing Tort before this match and didn’t look forward to the mirror since Mike is VERY good. Well it turns out I have nothing to worry about, I have like a baltoy and chatot start … smething meh. He goes first, attackes and attacks. On his second turn he goes, Candy Tort, Candy Scep …. Yeah, no recovery from that.
2-2

Round 5 – Rogue Archetype – AMU
Well I had a REALLY fast Tort and was pretty pumped as I got claydol and scep shortly. He is sort of getting set up but he Azelfs and finds out he has 2 Uxie and an Uxie X prized. A few turns later we realize, he didn’t take his Uxie X! May have cost him the game as he had to go godblastless, I had an army of torts … GG
3-2

Well 3-2 dpesn’t make cut but I am happy with my winning record. I walk away knowing a lil more about the meta

Sat slops –
Exploud winning?
Johnny wasting our time :p
Luke playing Ape
Losing Wager + Psychic Lock
Azelf LA
T2

Props-
Tim F, that was awesome to watch
Johnny getting 2nd
Mike playing pokeball
Jon playing potion and trading for 17 bebe and like 10 roseanna
Jav’s sweet Rogue

After having a scope at the Meta, I was dying to bring Magmortar in the fold. Unfortunately, the area played too much Kingdra for straight Mortar so I had to go Magleaf, unfortunently, this didn’t occur to me until 5 minutes before we registered my deck on Sunday. I had just been beaten by Nate’s Magleaf and I was VERY convinced that Tort was a good play, but not THE play. SO I asked my buds if they htought we could scrap together a magleaf in 5 mins. They said no but eventually I wanted to see every card we had and what we needed. We needed 2 leafeon and two leafeon X, which I was able to borrow from Tim C and Steven S. So I had never played Magleaf before, and this was Nate’s list. Oh well, here we go.

Round 1 – Kenton A – Garkiss

I knew what he was playing because of the day before. I get a decent start, calling and setting up, he t2s with togekiss but has nothing else. I get up a mortar and take out his kiss, then he starts to set up a Gar and a cress X. I drop a dawn just in time to heal my leafeon he wants to spread to. My leafeon X tanks him with no weakness and leafguard so ya Gar swings for 50 with my dawn? Twas done. Apparently he misplas for his last ditch effort to get a kiss in the game but the dead was done.
1-0

Round 2 – Rogue-Archetype – AMU + Swalot

So we play again! This time he gets a bit of bad luck after I mull a bunch. He gets his unown E as his starter. I get a decent start, going with a fast mortar. He starts to setup and the like. However, on t4, I snipe his mesprit, and then snipe his next mesprit. He spends some time flailing about but without godblast, the deed is done. GG man
2-0

So we go to lunch, subway is tastey. Nick had to play Josh in the first round and so that was lame. Johnny got t1d by kingdra and Nate somehow lost to a kingdra with his magleaf. Josh is 0-2 Nick is 1-1 after having to play 1 of the 2 luxray decks in the whole tourney with his AMU, so lameness abounds.

Round 3 – David A – Kingdra

This match made me smile. Leafeon with dawn = GG kingdra. I setup my leafeon fast, his setup is decent, using phione like a pro. I start guarding and getting ready to verdant dance spam. I power up a magmortar for a nifftly lil trick. I warp it active, he brings up a seadra, I KO the seadra wth flame blast. He brings up a kingdra and hit magmortar for 90. I level up, burn him, and snipe his only claydol. He does Aqua Stream for 2 next turn but that slowed down his chance of aqua streaming leafeon for big. At one point he KOd a claydol but I got a new one on the NEXT turn. At the end of the game im going Verdant Dance spam, good tmes.
3-0

Round 4 – Mike P – tort
I went into this round very cocky, perhaps a little too cocky. I mean the matchup is simple right? Burn big turtle? Sadly no. I am soo glad I got to play this match against Mike. It helped me a lot later in the day, and the knowledge of his list was always handy. The game is kind of a blur. I know that I get some early plays, ad take the lead. I remember sniping his sceppy and a few turns (2?) It was impressive how well he recovered from every single slap. He does have a crucial turn. I try to tank with leafeon for a turn or two. This ends in him vigours dashing to knock out espeon and therefore leafeon in the same turn, that seals the deal. GG
3-1

Round 5 – Stephen M – Gardy/Gallade/Garch
Interesting deck. I heard he won his last game on time dur to his INCREDIBLY slow play, so I was cautious of that. He opened with ralts, t2 kirlia. I fear the psy lock so I warp his cladyol active, and bind down with leafeon. He evolves his ralt sinto gallade. I can kill his Claydol but decide to let him have it and let BOTH of us set up so that we can let it come down to skill. I set up and right before he retreats the claydol, Fireball Bazooka it for the KO and spread to his gardy and gallade. He brings up gallade and kos me. He does play REALLY slow. He decides to announce every little thing he does before he does it and then does it, slowly. Well the game DOES go to time but the judges speed him up and with spread/snipe and leafeon tanking, I win the game pretty handidly, he does make the clutch move to restore a gardy but oh well, I win on time by about 2-3 prizes. GG
4-1

So I make top cut with Mike P (tort) Jon A (tort) and Helen M(Lux/Vire). I play Mke in t4. Nate lost his last match to miss cut, Johnny lost to Nick, nick played BOTH Luxrays, Josh bombed, oh well oh well t4.

Mike P (tort)
Game 1
This game goes great for me. I get a fast mortar (t2) and start to slaughter everything. He tries to get setup but the pressure is tough. He starts to mount a comeback but my 2nd mortar seals it, he scoops fast.

Game 2 – his t2 erthquake terrifies me. He comes out hard and fast. I have a t2 leafeon X leafguard but when he answers that I have 0 cards in hand, fast loss

Game 3 – A much more interesting match. I have a speedy setup, t2 doll, his isn’t bad. Remarkably this game I am unable to keep his sceppy KOd, whether I can kill it at all. Instead I go to KO EVERY single one of is torts, keeping him behind on energy. I go through 3 Mortars this game, ty Night Maintenance. I get ahead and stay ahead, not letting forest murmurs get me down, he realizes I am low on fire nrg and tries to draw it out but I get him in the end, he scoops the turn before I take it.

5-1

Jon A – Tort
So jon beat Luxray, good. I get to play another Torterra, ugh. Jon is a cool dude, we have some laughs

Game 1 –
Similar to my pramawat game 1, although MORE to the extreme. I destroy him hard, having a Mortar acive for about 3 of my prizes. I destroy the setup, he scoops fast

Game 2 – We both have awful set ups, that being in Tort’s favor. I decide to let it play out and see if I can’t pull it out of nowhere. After his 3rd prize and me getting nothing (I kept cosmic powering into energy and oaks, over and over) I scoop.

Game 3 – Fun game. T2 I have a mortar with two energy and two claydols. T2 he has a tort with 2 energy and 2 claydols. We both get the perfect setup. It goes back and forth for a while. Something I noticed throughout our match was that the judges were a little harsh. They were on Jon’s case about stuff and I kept quiet. However, they all agreed instantly and I think they made the right call. It was just a shame to see such judge interaction, but also a GREAT sign. Anyways, when we both setups, its an easy match for me. I get about 4 prizes when he takes his second. He knocks out his own claydol for my 5th prize with earthquake. He has a tort with 50 damage on it and the judges are rushing me. I know I can win this but I need to count energy and figure out who to attack with for the final prize and what to night maintenance and every 10 seconds I am old to make a play. However I am able to pull it out with verdant dance for 90, GG Jon

So I get a Mesprit X in my packs and enjoy my win. Woodbridge seems to be my sweetspot, Look forward to more BRs.

Sun Props/slops

Props
Winning
Tim C and Steven S
Good efficient judging
A well run tournament
Not losing to time against Stephen M
Getting Magleaf in 5 min
Picking Magleaf

Slops
Unown E
Azelf being prized
Efficient Judging
Fire weakness for Tort
Nick playing Josh and Johnny
Josh’s record

Sat slops –
Exploud winning?
:rolleyes:

Johnny wasting our time :p
You need to complete that sentence by adding "losing to Tim" :biggrin: .

Props-
Tim F, that was awesome to watch
The one against Johnny, right? I didn't know you were there for that. I didn't see a lot during that game, except Johnny and the judges.

If you lost to torterrible, does that make Nate's loss to Kindgra a little more understandable?

Why is it lame for Tim to do well with one flippy card, but okay for me to do well with 2-3 flippy cards?
So Nick played against all the Luxray decks in the tournament with AMU?! Weeeeeird...

tim i was johnny's ride so i was there, and he wasted out time :) that was such a loong match, great though and yeah it was the finals. And no, it is harder for magleaf to beat torterrible (faster and hits way hard despite me having half fire in the deck, really almost a third) but magleaf has an AUTOwin against kingdra unles su get donked

charchar - wont be at fairfax, will be at va beach and richmond comix

lucario ex - ya nick was pretty upset amount his luxray matches, and tim was waaayy more flippy than u

ROr

lucario ex - ya nick was pretty upset amount his luxray matches, and tim was waaayy more flippy than u

That explains why he was acting so annoyed after our match. I had just assumed it was my fault.

Nobody is more flippy than me! Nobody!

I didn't specify this BR. I think you'll agree that my States deck is flippier.

Back