Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Wartortle Thin 1st Edition Stamp

smpratte

I received one of my PSA orders back in the mail and I noticed something curious that I have never seen before, a Thin stamped 1st Edition Base Wartortle card.

While I am not a collector of the Thick/Thin stamped cards, I have to acknowledge the fact that there are collectors who are after them. More importantly, it is easy to distinguish between the two types of stamps. I discussed the stamps with other serious collectors and have researched them on my own and I have never seen an Uncommon or Common Base Set card with a Thin 1st edition stamp.

Here are the photos of the card next to a standard 1st edition stamped Wartortle, 1, 2:

:water:

:water::water:

Let me know your thoughts.

I saw a Wartortle with a thin stamp sell with a PSA 10 1st edition stamp last year. I don't know if it's the same card you have but it's the only time I have seen a common card with a thin stamp. I just assumed commons cards were thin and thick stamped.

Frank, That is actually a thick stamp in the photo you provided. There are cards with lighter stamps which are the Thick version. They are usually referred to as gray stamped.

DarkPersian, do you know for sure that it was thin? I have never seen a thin stamped common card. I have personally handled many 1st edition base cards, in the high hundreds, and this is the first one I have seen like this.

Frank, That is actually a thick stamp in the photo you provided. There are cards with lighter stamps which are the Thick version. They are usually referred to as gray stamped.

DarkPersian, do you know for sure that it was thin? I have never seen a thin stamped common card. I have personally handled many 1st edition base cards, in the high hundreds, and this is the first one I have seen like this.

Hey brother.
Yes, I found one too years ago. I remember i was looking for light stamps for a light stamp set and found it. Very rare for sure. I'm going to try to find it and ill get back to you and we'll compare notes:)

Hey brother.
Yes, I found one too years ago. I remember i was looking for light stamps for a light stamp set and found it. Very rare for sure. I'm going to try to find it and ill get back to you and we'll compare notes:)

Sounds good. I wanted you and Rusty to stop by and check this one out. Let me know what you find.

It's a full heal and nm.
I tried to post a pic of it but pokegym doesn't let me post attachment lol.

Last edited:
Sounds good. I wanted you and Rusty to stop by and check this one out. Let me know what you find.

I am pretty sure I do not have any. I have went through my extras a few times looking for the gray stamps and 1st edition back cards... but I was not really looking for any thins specifically.

When I zoom in on your picture it goes a little blurry, but I can't tell for sure whether it is thick or thin.

Here are the pictures with better quality:

If you still can't zoom I can send them to your email. I am still not used to the new photobucket.

Ah ok. I took the photo with an SLR camera but the new photobucket makes everything one size. Probably because it is trying to mimic nonsense like instagram.

Anyway, pm me your email and I can send you the raw photo's. I uploaded them again but I think it is converting them automatically, even when I selected upload as original: 1

Back