Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Wash State Gym Challenge May 29. 2004

Pokeplayer

WASHINGTON STATE POKEMON GYM CHALLENGE

Seatac Mall (The Commons at Federal Way)
Federal Way, Washington
May 29, 2004
Registration Starts: 10:00 a.m.
Entry Fee: $10

Tournament Structure
Three Age Divisions - 10 & under / 11 to 14 / 15 & over
Format - Modified Constructed Deck (bring your own deck)
Age Modified Swiss (all players play in every round) Number of rounds depends on
Turnout. Tournament will be single game rounds with 6 prizes.
30 minute time for swiss rounds. Cut to Final Playoff - Single Elimination Rounds (Top 4 or Top 8 depending on turnout) These rounds will be best 2 of 3 games. One hour time limit except for final round.
Additional Information - Call 253 874 2261 or email [email protected]

Prize Structure
The top 8 players in each of the three age divisions (10 & under, 11 to 14, 15 & over) get the following prizes (boosters will be EX Team Magma vs Team Aqua):
1st Place - 1 Box of Pokémon Booster Packs plus an invite and paid travel to the World Championships
2nd Place - 18 Pokémon Booster Packs
3rd Place - 9 Pokémon Booster Packs
4th Place - 9 Pokémon Booster Packs
5-8th Place - 4 Pokémon Booster Packs
Prize Drawings between every round for Pokémon items!!!

Side Events:

GAMEBOY ADVANCE TOURNAMENT: BRING YOUR GAMEBOY ADVANCE!!! Throughout the day, there will be a Gameboy advance tournament going on. The tournament will require you to bring your own GBA and Ruby/Sapphire game. Prizes will be Pokémon TCG booster packs. We will structure this tournament in a way that those people participating in the Gym Challenge can still participate in the GBA tournament. RULES - You are allowed 3 Pokémon of level 50 or lower; No two of the same Pokémon; Groudon, Kyogre, Jirachi, Deoxys and Rayquaza are banned; ALL Shining Pokemon are banned; Entei, Raikou, and Suicune (obtained through Story Mode of Pokemon Colluseum) are also banned; No duplicate held items allowed; Certain powers (Rest, Recover, etc) are not allowed after 8 minutes into the match; "Modified" GBA cartridges are not allowed (i.e. Game Shark). Entry fee - FREE (Link cables will be provided)

Booster Draft: After the Swiss rounds of the main event end, we will run a Booster Draft tournament. This will be a sanctioned event. Players will be given 5 Team Magma vs Team Aqua Booster Packs. Players will open one pack, take a card and pass the rest of the cards to the left or right. The player will then take a card from the cards passed to him/her. This type of play continues until all 5 booster packs have been opened and passed around to all players. Players will build a 40 card deck out of the cards they draft. Players will play age modified swiss a minimum of 4 rounds. Basic energy will be provided. Prizes will be Pokemon TCG Booster Packs. ENTRY FEE: $10

How to get there: Take exit 143, S 320 St exit off I-5 and head west. Mall is located ½ west of I-5.

There will be door prizes... I will annouce that some of the new Pokemon EX value packs with the new Ludiculo promo card will be given away....

Hope to See you there!!!!!!!!

Pokeplayer

Last edited:
Hello all.

I updated the Wash Gym Challenge information...

How many playres would be interested in a Modified Constructed Side event playing the two active pokemon rules???

I have yet to see this type of game played in any tournament setting....

Just coming back to the scene I have a question on the new rules.

Now I know that you can only switch once, but does that mean paying the retreat cost only once or overall once? What I mean is, is there a point in having more than one switch trainer card in your deck, or does the switch card not count as your one switch?

Also any deck making tips? :p I am going to try and make it on the 29th and I have a deck to use but I have limited amounts of cards. What cards do you think I need, or need to watch out for?

Last edited:
Peachoyto

The new rules state that you get one retreat per turn....

That's where you pay the retreat cost by discarding the energy if needed or playing a trainer like Balloon Berry that pays the dost of the retreat.

Using switch, Warp point, warp energy, etc. these cards and other similar cards do not count as retreating....

For decks see the Decks and strategies section of Pokegym...

BTW that question probably should have been in the ask the masters forum. Just so you know =)

Yeah, I'll be there, my little brother won't he'll still be on the trip.

Oh and forget that stupid 2 vs. 2 format, just have an unsanctioned team mulitplayer (sealed, just like at worlds!!!) or something and I'm sure there will be some players

Hello all........

This is your last chance to win a free trip......

Gym Challenges being held this last weekend are located in....
MD
AZ
CA
FL
IL
KS
NJ
NM
OK

and Washington

Hope to get a great tournout...

I have received calls from Canada for this upcoming event...

Welcome all players from up North....

coming to try and steal one of our trips, eh? (sorry I couldn't help it)

Yeah, I'll be there, of course, maybe I'll have better luck in my home state than I did in oregon.

There are OTHER players from Canada coming other than me? OMG OMG Gufginbfdiukbfdsgksugib I wanna know who they are RIGHT Now lol

prolly not, I think Terry just heard about me, and never knew that I was there before, or even from Canada, but now he heard about me cuz I got to the final. Im guessing thats what happened.

I got a call from persons in Alberta and a call from a person on Vancover Island...

Wether they come or not is another story, but I got called....

joner nothings guareenteed, take my milford experience as a lesson and dont under-estimate your oppponents...

So can they pay their tournament fees in rainbow colored canadian money?

Okay I'm done with the stuff aboot the bad canada jokes, eh?

Back