Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Weekend Battle Road Report!

Cyrus

Iron Chef - Master Emeritus
All right, so because my name isn't "Eric Craig," I'm not in a position to sit these ranking opportunities out, so...I played in two of the four tourneys this Memorial Day weekend (the fourth and final is tomorrow, but it's likely I won't go): Garland and Lewisville.

Pre-tourneys: I helped tweak Billy's Lunarock, and he headed to the Fort Worth Battle Road. Once again, he narrowly missed the cut with a 3-2 record...so now we were ready to with something new, lol.

~~~Garland Battle Road~~~

I decided to go with Metalix at this tournament, only instead I decided to mix it up a little and run Meganium instead of Nidoqueen. My brother, tired of narrowly missing cuts with Lunarock, was set on playing Lanturn HL/PK at an event. So with my help, we invested considerable effort into creating a perfect Banette ex/Lanturn list!

Round 1: VS Adrian (Bandoom)

My start is semi-decent, but way too heavy on the trainer cards. Although he is energy screwed for a couple of turns, a turn two Houndoom just murders me. Because I wasn't running Latis, and because I was thin on counters (only windstorm, briney, and tauros), this was a loss. My PRIZES didn't make it any better (Latias* and Briney). Somehow I made this a close one, but I lost in the end...(0-1)

Round 2: VS ??? (Shfitry ex)

Long story short, Mega Mega is too much for this deck to handle. (1-1)

Round 3: VS Weldon/Rokman (Flycatty)

I absolutely destroyed with Latias*, Crystal Shard, and Steelix ex. Sorry buddy :( (2-1)

Round 4: VS Devondrick (Flycatty)

Oh wow...another one? His was virtually identical to Weldon's, and just like the previous matchup, I killed Flygons due to Latias and co. However, I didn't need to play shard once. GG (3-1)

Because of my round one loss, my resistance was hurting...however, I still made it in as fourth seed! Billy's Banturn performed exceedingly well, going through a variety of legitimate decks (including Weldon...who lost to him before me ;x).

~~~1st Seed: Billy/Banturn VS 4th Seed: Johnny/Metalix~~~
~~~2nd Seed: Adrian/Bandoom VS 3rd Seed: Mike/Empoleon~~~

Top 4: VS Billy/Drrty Byl (Banturn)

Awwww man! Why do I have to play against my older brother?

Game 1: In a close contest, I dominate with Meganium d swarming, as well as carefully-timed shards and Latias*.

Game 2: Due to abysmal prizes (two Castform and a Farmer) and a weak setup, I struggled to hang in there. However, I fought as long as I could, and apparently it paid off. Since I'm a slow player, and since Billy is extremely slow, this went to time, and unfortunately I pulled this out due to the clock. I don't know how the sudden death would have gone, but we both had many things going our way...fortunately though, we'd settle the score the day after (4-1 matches, 5-1 games)

T2: VS Adrian (Bandoom)

Game 1:
Murdered by Houndoom and as usual, I could never hit anything to stop it.

Game 2: I put up a bigger fight, but after I sharded a Meganium to keep in the game, I was overwhelmed and taken out. Not wanting to play it out, I scooped to leave early...bad sportsmanship I know, but I knew it was over. :(

Well that was Garland for ya: severe failure vs Bandoom using Metalix, and major success vs everything else. Because Adrian's ranking wasn't too high, I most likely lost 10-20 off of this day (before this weekend, I was 1934.19). However, with a newly edited list, as well as a special new/fun deck to play...I boldly headed into Lewisville with my eyes set on the prize (the INTANGIBLE ranking prize, rofl -_-).

~~~Lewisville Battle Road~~~

Another tourney: this time it was a longer drive for me (but not bad at all!). I got there in perfect time, borrowed cards from various homies (thanks a lot to all who offered :)), and walked boldly in with...Infernape/Delcatty!!!

Round 1: VS ??? (sorry forgot your name, with Infernape/Delcatty)

A better setup, plus some careful playing on my part, made this a quick win. Sorry :( (1-0)

Round 2:
VS Billy Kettler (Banturn)

Oh boy! This was much closer than our fun games before, but he got a quick start...typical turn two Lanturn. Keep in mind I was in jeopordy of being T2'd by Billy, but fortunately I topdecked a mentor on my first turn (no trans in hand previously), and setup just fine. This was a classic back and forth struggle, but eventually with an insane three pluspower Max Energy Source move with Delcatty, I take the lead and win this, 6 prizes to 3. GG! (2-0)

Round 3: VS Clay Carney (Rhyperior)

His setup is a little mediocre, but is just absolutely terrible in the long run 'cause his Milotic does nothing in copying supporters. Meanwhile, I'm building all of my guys up, and taking serious board control. Although this lasted a while, I won quite comfortably, never giving him the opportunity to deck me out with Rhyperior's Poke-Power. GG dawg. (3-0)

Round 4: VS Andy Meier (Metanite)

Attendance was good, but I still had to be paired against a 3-0 in 11-14...whatever though, this kid's good, and he's roughly around my ranking for his age group. He gets a very average "Castform for a bajillion" start, but my turn three KO on the casty puts him in a troubled position. I gain massive control, and although he fights back some near the end, Constrain+pwnage was instant win...didn't help much that he never got to use his Laitos against me! As I said...too bad he was a different age group :( (4-0)

~~~1st: Johnny/Infernape VS 4th: Donovan/Shiftry ex~~~
~~~2nd: Billy/Banturn VS 3rd: Clay/Rhyperior~~~

T4: VS Donovan (Shiftry ex/Lickitung)

Game 1: Wow...I'm so glad I play the exact list I do. He went first with a Seedot, grabbed an energy, and then, with a normally UNPLAYABLE hand, I t1'd him with Chimchar. My goodness!

Game 2: This was much closer than the previous game. He actually got stuff out, and put up a huge challenge with two Shiftry ex's out at once. Luckily, though, a few decent Infernape flips kept this from being a considerably close game. (6-0 games, 5-0 matches, 4-0 ranked matches)

Well what do you know? I've been predicting this since January, but for the first time, we finally had a Kettler/Kettler finals at a tournament! MAJOR!!!

Finals: VS Billy (Banturn)

Game 1: I turn one him.

Game 2: Awful start with no trans/mentor/basics/draw; I get turn three'd.

Game 3:
This is a considerably better game. Both of us setup decently, but my Infernape/Level X were just too much for his Banettes and Lanturns. Good games, and great going Billy! (8-0/6-0/5-0)

Second and first? Eh, I can deal with that. By combining my Saturday loss with my Sunday mega gain, I should be around the 1950's now...yes!

Props:
-The staff. Everyone involved with this four-tournament weekend is doing so much good for the game, and really, this is something that's NEVER been seen before in Pokemon!
-Everyone who let me borrow stuff/offered to let me borrow.
-My opponents for all being great sports.
-Adrian for winning Sunday.
-Obv myself.
-A BIG prop to my brother...not only did he go second and third this weekend, but his only losses PERIOD were to me. Although you still have a lot to learn, you're doing exponentially better with each tournament. With your playing better than ever, let's fix your deck theory, eh? Lol.

Slops:
-Weldon for his bad luck :(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Records:

Garland Battle Road: 2nd w/ Mega-Metalix (4-2 in matches, 5-3 in games played)
Lewisville Battle Road: 1st w/ Infernape (6-0 in matches, 8-1 in games played)
Dallas Battle Road: 1st w/ Infernape (7-0 in matches, 9-1 in games played)
Tom Bean: 1st W/ Infernape (4-0 in matches, 5-0 in games played...yeah, this was actually not an above average attendance [20+] event...not as glorious as the past few, but I'll take it x_X).
Plano: 1st W/ Infernape (7-0 in matches, 9-1 in games played. Great attendance!)

Last edited:
Johnny, in that game I got no Dragonairs, Candies, or Metangs until way-late game, when you were already doing 120+ w/ Upstream and Infernape. Latios* had nothing to do w/ it.

And just for the record, I think you played Donavon's girlfriend in Round 1, not his daughter (I'm pretty sure we didn't pair up that far out of age groups for rd. 1).

S.

I'm sure Donavon'll be thrilled to know you think he's THAT old. . . . . .

TY to Rew, Hitmon, and Pichu

TY to Andy, but I didn't say that had to do with your loss...all I said was it "didn't help" that you never got the opportunity, 'cause I've played this matchup a lot and know how critical every possible edge is for Meta.

Lol @ Spotter

Nice job Patriarch.
So for your Infernape build did you just abandon the Budews for 4 Pluspower to enhance speed and KOs. Sounds interesting, I am gonna have to test out different builds.

Infernape/Delcatty? Interesting... Good job!

I am confused how you were able to turn one people. I guess if your going second, you could plus power and with weakness KO something. But how do you KO something on the first turn without using trainers?

Infernape/Delcatty? Interesting... Good job!

I am confused how you were able to turn one people. I guess if your going second, you could plus power and with weakness KO something. But how do you KO something on the first turn without using trainers?

Nah...trainers are key to it, no matter what. Rare Candy, Strength Charm, Wally, Pluspower...etcetcetc, something has to give for that ftko. :)

ty once again! Looks like I'll soon be competing in one this next weekend (Dallas Battle Road...here we come!).

i wasnt there or in your metagame but, great job to you. yeah that bandoom matchup is an autoloss. so anytime you can at least make a game out of it, then that's something good. that's pretty cool that you used meggy ex in MSN.

unless people tech in their sceppys, those meggy exs are way hard to deal with. nurture and heal for the win. good job again.

Well, that was my point. You can't play any trainers on t1. So you couldn't rare candy or strength charm, or wally (especially wally), etc etc. Unless you meant your first turn (while going second). I think that is what you meant, I was just clarifying.

WTG!

Yea, had my start been like one of the other rounds, I might have actually deck'd you. Like I did 2 other people that day...

Nice Showing This Weekend!

Back