Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Werewolf Issue Resolution

Sandslash7

<a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=
NEW ISSUE.

SEE POST #81 for details. Please share your thoughts about this here

Disclaimer! Since you are here you probably have a vested interest in Pokegym Werewolf. I commend you for that and wish that we all move past these incidences quickly. Of note is that this thread is NOT to be used to discuss the set-up or play of players during its run. The WW XVIII thread should hold any post-game discussion of role power, set-up, faction perspective, thoughts, funnies, and the like.

During the course of WW XVIII Dimensional Clash there were some significant issues with the game, which you will likely remember. Due to these issues and the tempers that flared over the game there will need to be ramifications for these wrongdoings to preserve the integrity of the Pokegym WW community. Breaking of rules, anger, arguing, and actions against the Spirit of the Game of Pokegym WW are taken seriously, and through this thread the primary movers behind Gym WW wish to curtail further infringements.

Thus, a commission of Ikrit, Myself (Sandslash7) and Absoltrainer convened to discuss these issues and have issued our conclusions based on the vast evidence collected and analyzed in an exhaustive fashion.

The goal of this thread is not to publically denounce such players as bad people. The point of this thread is to enforce the guidelines that are already stated in the rules of Gym WW. Each player agrees to abide to these rules when they sign up to play a game of Gym WW. When such rules are broken, penalties must be handed out.

Furthermore, it is not wished that the punished players are in any way treated differently than any other player in terms of attitude or playstyle during any game going forward. This is only to hold players accountable for their actions in game and out of game, as well as to acknowledge wrongdoing while extending a way for transgressions to be forgiven and moved past.

As players we should all hold each other to the utmost standard of personal conduct, regardless of the arena upon which our actions unfold. All penalties are handed out at the discretion of the Gym Werewolf Leaders.

PIKAMASTER
For reactions to players that were unprofessional (Example One) and actions not befitting a moderator, we find that revocation of Pikamaster’s Mod Status is necessary* (to be elaborated on later). Henceforth Pikamaster must restart the Moderation Prerequisite form if further modding on the Gym is wished.

JPULICE
For posting game related information during the Night Cycle (Eample One) in violation of rules 2c and 4h, we find that a One-Game Ban in necessary. This One-Game Ban will served on Werewolf Balance Committee* (to be elaborated on later).

CABD
For revealing/speaking about game/role related information outside of the game (Example One) in violation of rule 4b, and for speaking in-game to numerous times after death to argue with living players or take part in discussions (Example Two) in violation of rule 5 and 2c, we find that a Two-Game Ban is necessary. This Two-Game Ban will be served as a One-Game ban followed by one game on Werewolf Balance Committee*.

DARTHPIKA
For speaking at night, pejoratively arguing with players about their actions/motivations (Example One) in violation of rule 2c, we find a One-Game Ban is necessary.

DIAZ
For speaking at night, pejoratively arguing with players about their actions/motivations (Example One) in violation of rule 2c, we find a One-Game Ban is necessary.

This concludes the penalties agreed upon by the commission. These players must be held accountable for their actions, and we wish that this time swiftly go by wherein they may return to the active player-base and continue to partake of the great game of Werewolf. Of note is that Werewolf is a game, and must remain as such. Pejorative argumentation, hurtful insults, public accusations without proper evidence outside of correct conduits, undermining game balance, and generalized angst have no place in Werewolf. Ikrit, Absol, and I hope that through this thread we may stamp out the seeds of division within our community.

As a community we should have no tolerance for arguments and incidents like those which occurred in WW XVIII.

Other business:

There is now a definitive method for becoming a moderator of a Gym WW game.

Moderation Pre-Requisites Form
1) Have played in at minimum TWO Gym Werewolf games.
2) Have served on a Gym WW Balance Committee, and satisfactorily balanced a game that is run on the Gym.
3) Have submitted the game in question to a Gym WW Balance Committee and it be certified balanced by the committee.
4) Have a dedicated Co-Mod who will take care of Narration duties if the original mod cannot, or who participated in game creation and works together with the “original mod.”

Or:
1) Be of Previous Mod Status (Defined: A Moderator who has successfully moderated a Werewolf game since WW X; Parisian Intrigue: Absoltrainer, Shellshock929, Cardzmaster2004, Ikrit, Lucario EX, Arcanine/Arbok Master, Sandslash7)
2) Have submitted the game in question to a Gym WW Balance Committee and it be certified balanced by the committee.

Players who are interested in hosting a game must fulfill EITHER the first or the second criterion. History and games from other websites are always a positive, but they cannot substitute Gym games for any criterion.

Werewolf Balance Committee
It is obvious that there is a desperate need for third-party validation and verification for games played on the Gym. Many games have been horribly unbalanced either for or against certain factions with unjust and unfair playing fields being the result. This was touched briefly in the Werewolf Metagame Analysis Thread, but the primary thrust of that thread was player behavior, and game balance must now be dealt with.

As such, with games like XV; Pokémon Wars!, and XVIII; Dimensional Clash cannot be allowed to remain the standard of balance for Gym Werewolf. Each game was broken and tilted the odds of factional victory towards one or more factions completely unfairly.

It is necessary for some kind of third party oversight in WW games, so it is resolved to create a WW Balance Committee with the job of double-checking the balance already present in the proposed game and giving feedback about positive or negative attributes.

The Balance Committee will be responsible to give the final say as to game-play readiness for each set-up. The Committee will be composed of any number of willing players. Each game will have two members from the Committee go over all roles of the game, rules, hidden rules, priority, and setup to determine its balance. Once a go-ahead is given, the requesting mod will be allowed next in line to narrate a WW game.

The Balance Committee will be made up of players who are adept enough to handle over-all game balance. Thus, a minimum of 2 games of WW played is a prerequisite for volunteering to be in the Balance Committee. Each volunteer must also read the Werewolf Metagame Analysis Thread for adequate background on game balance and game theory. Each volunteer must be familiar with topics mentioned here regarding game theory Mafia Scum’s Modding Guide: 2010 edition.
To volunteer to be on the WW Balance committee, please submit a short application PM to myself and I’ll add you to the list (updated in the New WW Compendium thread) if you have the correct credentials and are approved.

Any questions and or recommendations will be discussed. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Jp ~ Thank you for being willing to help with this process. You will be a great asset to getting WW balance back on its feet.

I'm adding your name to the Balance Committee list on the Compendium.

Like I said before, I posted what I did while accepting the consequences. I only hope that everyone else realizes the same.

Cabd ~ Thank you for your acknowledgement.

Kirbyking ~ If you have played in at least two Gym werewolf games, please submit links to said games, along with your role, faction, personal thoughts on your role, as well as what your own PERSONAL thoughts on the balance of your faction and the game were. Please also state whether you have read the WMAT as well as the Comprehensive Modding Guide and understand their points and intentions. After that, stay tuned. Your application may take some time to be processed as it is Death Month for me in school. Each application will be considered by all members of the current committee and then voted upon. This may take a significant amount of time, so please be pantient.

Another thing we as a community need to really consider is activity. This game is predicated on activity. We should consider including rules into the base state that player MUST post every few days. Once a game day is just not frequent enough. It also enables those "low" posters to forget about the game.

Also, it allows for "prods" and a system to institute clear expectations for all players. For example:

Rule X Activity. This is a social game. When signing up for this game you are making a commitment to play this game and to the other players to stay active. Therefore in this spirit you must post at least every 72 hours. Failure to do so will result in a prod / warning. Failure to pick up your prod in 48 hours you will be force replaced. If you are prodded more than X times you will be force replaced. You may avoid prods by announcing V/LA. If your V/LA will last long than 1 week (or X days) you may need to be force replaced, but this will be discussed in private. Do not sign up for this game if you can not maintain this level of activity.

Another thing we as a community need to really consider is activity. This game is predicated on activity. We should consider including rules into the base state that player MUST post every few days. Once a game day is just not frequent enough. It also enables those "low" posters to forget about the game.

Also, it allows for "prods" and a system to institute clear expectations for all players. For example:

Rule X Activity. This is a social game. When signing up for this game you are making a commitment to play this game and to the other players to stay active. Therefore in this spirit you must post at least every 72 hours. Failure to do so will result in a prod / warning. Failure to pick up your prod in 48 hours you will be force replaced. If you are prodded more than X times you will be force replaced. You may avoid prods by announcing V/LA. If your V/LA will last long than 1 week (or X days) you may need to be force replaced, but this will be discussed in private. Do not sign up for this game if you can not maintain this level of activity.

It's a great idea, but what happens if the mod runs out of replacements?

Eclipse, for starters the game size should not "over-power" the site for players. There should NOT be slots for "everyone" in the initial set up. There will always be slots which will need to be replaced so your game size needs to account for this. One should factor in upwards of 20-30 percent will need to be replaced. So if everyone doesn't get it at the beginning, theycan sign up for replacements with a good understand they'll get in. If you run out of replacements, Im of the opinion you let the players deal with the slot.

Being on the replacement list should not be looked at as a negative. Besides, one of my favorite things to do is replace into a game and turn it completely around. Replacing in, isn't a negative, but can be a HUGE game changer for your faction. A fresh perspective is gold to your faction.

One thing I feel important to note for JP, Diaz, DarthPika, and anyone else who in the future that may fall under a ban is that it is perfectly fine to play elsewhere while you "cool down" and await re-entry into the gym metagame. Additionally, with smaller game sizes going forward, the duration of a game ban is not prohibitively long, as it would have been for the past few games (excluding ss7's most recent one)

Other sites that play werewolf with varying levels of flavor include, but are not limited to:

Sixprizes (mostly 20-man games, similar lamguage policy to gym)
HT (mostly 30ish player games, no profanity restrictions)
Mafiascum (Most 9 player games, no profanity restrictions)
Serenes Forrest (No clue what their average game setup is like)
Epic Mafia (No clue what their avergae game setup is like)
Play Werewolf (Pokemonplayer101's website of smaller games for younger players, language rules similar to pokegym)
xkcd (smaller games, math geeky slant)
Order of the Stick Forums (Mostly D&D themed games, 9-16 players each, most profanity banned)

Serenes has no profanity restrictions and has small games that are 14 or less and large games which are above 14 players, the largest of which recently has been 21 players.

Edit: We're actually looking for maybe one more player for a current small game, plus we're always looking for subs if anyone's interested.

Last edited:
Definitly check out Play Werewolf for anyone that can't sign up for games here or not. The link is in my sig, we are having signups for a new game now. It provides a great, laid back game of Werewolf.

Let's not have this thread turn into "advertise my favorite ww site" If your site isn't on the list in my post, just ask me to add it. No need to clog up this thread with ads.

This thread isn't for advertising, so please do not post random places to play. This thread is for the enumeration of the punishments established by the Committee and discussion therein. Everything else please take to PM or other methods of communication (Cabd this means you too).

You do not have to delete your previous comments, but speak no more of them in this thread please.

Thank you.

Being on the replacement list should not be looked at as a negative. Besides, one of my favorite things to do is replace into a game and turn it completely around. Replacing in, isn't a negative, but can be a HUGE game changer for your faction. A fresh perspective is gold to your faction.

While I do agree with this, that sort of attitude is probably not the best thing. Ideally a game should be played to competition with the original lineup. No replacements. Like you said, replacing in at the right time can be highly advantageous, both for the replacee and their faction. I remember once (hope umbreons not here to tell me off for referencing a past game), that a skilled player was getting replaced in for the town during a night phase, and tub wolves killed him just because they didn't want to give him a change to share all the info he would have gathered watching from the sidelines.

I guess what I'm saying is that using the replacement system to your advantage seems against the spirit of the game. As such, maybe some guidelines are worth noting.

A) a player should not be replaced unless they are unable to continue playing.
B) a player should never intentionally aim to be on the replacements list rather than the initial signups.
C) just because there will be replacements available, a player should still properly consider whether or not they intend to and will be capable of playing the game to the best of their ability, understanding that replacements are be part of an ideal game and should be avoided where possible.

I know as well as anyone that dedicating lots of time to an involved game can be tough. But if you put your name down on the initial thread, you are essentially making a promise to the rest of the community that you are going to do your best to contribute to the quality of the game.

From my most recent games, the rules we use for replacements...

Replacements/Temporarily Offline
When you sign up to play in this game, you are certifying that you are willing to play and intend to do so for the duration of the game. However, conditions may arise where you must leave the game. If such is the case, please notify us via your role PM. Do not post so publicly upon the thread. Please note that if you replace out of a game, you may only join the next game as a replacement. This is to ensure replacements are only done for serious matters, and not just on a whim.

From my most recent games, the rules we use for replacements...

I like this

The only change I would make is that if you must be replaced for a legitamate reason (use common sense on what is legitamate) then you are not restricted to a replacement slot for the next game

^We handle that on a case by case basis, but the full version of the part I quoted has a section for legitimate things such as a death in the family. Exams are not a good excuse, as you know those are going to happen when you're signing up.

Back