Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

What Are The Rules For Reusing Old Cards?

readmyusername

Could someone explain exacly what are the rules to reusing old cards? Such of being allowed to use the old Double Colorless Energy, or using an old Professor Elm's Training Method. Do the cards must have the exact same name and have the exact same text? Or can they be slightly different? Could somone post a link or explain what are they rules when it comes to using old cards that are in the format but and not from the current format? I searched and could not find anything. The more you can tell my the better, I have never been to a Pokemon Organized Play with official judges and such so I really have no idea.

Edit: I will post more information if you are not 100% sure of what I am talking about

Somewhere on the Pokemon website they have a list of playable cards - I believe they have one here on the Gym as well.

I don't know the official rules, but if they have the same name and basically the same text they are legal, but you have to see the list of playable cards first.

You're right. There have been a lot of cards reprinted over the years, and having to get ahold of them each time something is reprinted is ludicrous. Fortunately, Pokemon has been able to make things a little bit easier on us, by allowing us to use older cards as long as the text has not changed. There are some examples of cards that have entirely different effects, where a translation would need to be played. So you could have 4 of the older card in the deck, and have one "translation" card that you bring with you and have out when you play the older card, so the most current rulings can be made if needed.

Hopefully that is able to clear some things up for you!

Note: The rule is not that the text hasn't changed, it is that it hasn't significantly changed.

For example, old copies of Great Ball excluded Pokemon ex. New ones don't mention them.
Since there are no Pokemon ex in modified play, the old ones can be used without a reference.

Potion has also gone through a number of minor wording changes, none of which are significant changes, and so all copies can be used.

Older cards must be played using the new rules and any reprint errata. For example, you can't play Bill as a trainer anymore but as a Supporter.

I believe you have several questions regarding the TCG and that you are an old player who got interested recently in the game, am I right?

Yes!

@evil psyduck THANK YOU SOOO MUCH! That was exactly what I was looking for!!!:smile::thumb:

@Soujiro Elric Yeah, I was only able to get one of my friends to play with when I was first into it and so it died pretty quickly. So few years after that we were a bit bored and I brought up the idea of playing it and since Storm Front we have all been having an awesome time! Only thing was almost all of the cards we had were out of the format and we didn't really want to spend a trunk load of money on new ones so we have been playing with mixed formats. And WOW I didn't know you were allowed to use so many of the old cards! I might just go to a tournament now that I know I can still use some of my old cards. J-wittz pointed out this site and now that I have found it, WOW we were misplaying allot of things. We thought the Banette with Spiteful-Pain could be used from the discard pile.:nonono:

@PokePop So any cards on this like not marked with "Major text change. Requires reference." on the list http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41415 can be brought to a tournament or organized play and use it by itself (without any reference) in a deck?

Last edited:
Three Site Moderators answering questions in the same thread.

I can feel the love in here :)

*holds out arms and waits for group hug*

Great job helping out everyone!

Thanks!

Back