Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

What are your "MUST HAVE" cards?

I'd like to try my hand at deck building, but don't have many cards to work with (except for a bunch of really old cards). So, if I were able to scrape up the cash to order a batch of cards from an online dealer, what cards would you recommend for a basic set of MUST HAVES for deck building.

I'm on a limited income so the cheaper the better, but please don't let price limit your suggestions if you think a card really is a "must have."

If we are just talking about staple cards that can be used in most decks . . .

Absolute Must Haves

4x Roseanne's Reasearch
4x Bebe's Search
2x Night Maintenance
1x Luxury Ball

Very Nice to Have

2x Warp Point
4x Rare Candy
4x Broken Time-Space
2x Cynthia's Feelings
4x A good draw Supporter (Volkner's Philosophy, Felicities Drawing, or Professor Oak's Visit)

Needed for Tournament Decks

2x Baltoy GE
2x Claydol GE
2x Uxie LA
1x Azelf LA
2x Unown G

After that it gets more specific according to what kind of deck you want to make.

Absolute Must Haves

4x Roseanne's Reasearch
4x Bebe's Search
2x Night Maintenance
1x Luxury Ball

Very Nice to Have

2x Warp Point
4x Rare Candy
4x Broken Time-Space
2x Cynthia's Feelings
4x A good draw Supporter (Volkner's Philosophy, Felicities Drawing, or Professor Oak's Visit)

2x Baltoy GE
2x Claydol GE
2x Uxie LA
1x Azelf LA
2x Unown G

After that it gets more specific according to what kind of deck you want to make.

he nailed it =P, except the 4x BTS, thats mainly only in beedrill decks, but beedrill is a fairly easy and cheap deck to build!

Absolute Must Haves

4x Roseanne's Reasearch
4x Bebe's Search
2x Night Maintenance
1x Luxury Ball

Very Nice to Have

2x Warp Point
4x Rare Candy
4x Broken Time-Space
2x Cynthia's Feelings

2x Baltoy GE
2x Claydol GE
2x Uxie LA
1x Azelf LA
2x Unown G

you also forgot energies under "Very Nice to Have"
also porygon2 GE if you want to get through your supporters quickly.
but yeah baby mario nailed them.

These are great for Building decks... but are we going for S2 decks or are we doing SP decks?? The list drastically changes!

he nailed it =P, except the 4x BTS, thats mainly only in beedrill decks, but beedrill is a fairly easy and cheap deck to build!

I put B T-S in cos it's the most useful general Stadium. More or less all Stage 2 decks can use it (Kingdra, Flygon, Gengar. Machamp) and it doesn't hurt Stage 1 decks either.

These are great for Building decks... but are we going for S2 decks or are we doing SP decks?? The list drastically changes!

That's very true. I avoided the whole SP area cos SP decks are not the cheapest and the OP is on a budget.

cuz im bored ill list SP stuff too =P

MUST HAVES:
4x energy gain
4x roseannes
4x Poke Turn
4x SP radar
2-3x Uxie
1x Uxie Lv. X (depends on play style)
4x Cyrus's
2-3x Unown G!!
and other supporting SP supporters

Last edited:
Nidoqueen (Rising Rivals) and Dusknoir (Diamond and Pearl) are very common techs in stage 2's.

MUST HAVE POKEMON:
x2 Baltoy GE (.50 each)
x2 Claydol GE ($15)
x2 Uxie LA ($24)
x2 Unown G ($2)
x1 Azelf LA ($3)

MUST HAVE TRAINERS/ SUPPORTERS/ STADIUMS:
x3 Bebe's Search ($1)
x2 Roseanne's Research ($1.50)
x1 Luxury Ball (.50)
x4 Rare Candy ($1)
x2 Night Maintenance (.50)

MUST HAVE ENERGY:
x9-14 of whichever basic energy type you are using (you can buy these in theme decks, 1 comes in each POP pack)
x4 Call Energy ($3)

COMMONLY USED POKEMON:
Nidoqueen RR ($2)
Crobat G PL ($1)
Uxie LV.X LA ($34)

COMMONLY USED T/S/S:
Volkner's Philosophy (.50)
Felicity's Drawing (.50)
Professor Oak's Visit (.50)
Team Galactic's Invention G-105 Poke Turn ($1)
PlusPower (.25)
Broken Time-Space (.50)
Looker's Investigation (.50)
Super Scoop Up (.25)
Level Max (.50)
Premier Ball (.50)
Warp Point (.50)

COMMONLY USED ENERGY:
Upper Energy ($1)

@Box of Fail: Woah, where are you getting your Roseanne's Research? o_O

Just like to point out these numbers are flexible... I've played SP Based decks with no Claydol and non-SP with no Azelf and only 1 Uxie. All depends on the deck.

I also find it funny how many people choose to max on Roseanne's Research / Bebe's Search before throwing another Luxury Ball in. In decks relying on consistency in the first couple turns of the game, I've played up to 3.

Tastes are going to very from player to player. There's no harm in seeing what other people play, but you'll get a variety of answers... I believe the only thing seperating the top players is the way they think, and thus their decks are built differently. So many people play accordingly with what works for them ;)

Box of Fail hit most Trainers commonly found in decks. The only thing I'd really contribute to his list is Switch. Its use is dying out, but sometimes it gets the job done better than Warp Point.

MUST HAVE POKEMON:
x2 Baltoy GE (.50 each)
x2 Claydol GE ($15)
x2 Uxie LA ($24)
x2 Unown G ($2)
x1 Azelf LA ($3)

MUST HAVE TRAINERS/ SUPPORTERS/ STADIUMS:
x3 Bebe's Search ($1)
x2 Roseanne's Research ($1.50)
x1 Luxury Ball (.50)
x4 Rare Candy ($1)
x2 Night Maintenance (.50)

MUST HAVE ENERGY:
x9-14 of whichever basic energy type you are using (you can buy these in theme decks, 1 comes in each POP pack)
x4 Call Energy ($3)

COMMONLY USED POKEMON:
Nidoqueen RR ($2)
Crobat G PL ($1)
Uxie LV.X LA ($34)

COMMONLY USED T/S/S:
Volkner's Philosophy (.50)
Felicity's Drawing (.50)
Professor Oak's Visit (.50)
Team Galactic's Invention G-105 Poke Turn ($1)
PlusPower (.25)
Broken Time-Space (.50)
Looker's Investigation (.50)
Super Scoop Up (.25)
Level Max (.50)
Premier Ball (.50)
Warp Point (.50)

COMMONLY USED ENERGY:
Upper Energy ($1)

you and baby mario nailed it

Bebe's Search, Roseanne's Research, I use 3-5 Potions in all my decks because I like to keep my pokemon fresh, broken time space stadium card, multiple energy, and miasma valley stadium putting two damage counters on every new benched pokemon!

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

I also use togepi in secerets wonders with the find a friend attack, It let's u draw out any pokemon in your deck, also I use tm 1's evoluter.

Last edited:
I use 3-5 Potions

Um...........................................

A: Pokehealer + is alot better than potion as it does the same on it's own but heals 10 and heals all spec conditions. And when you play two at the same time 80 daamge and all spec conditons are gone. Two are better than four potions.

B: I think you meant 3-4 potions lol.

The basics:
2x Claydol GE
2x Baltoy GE
2x Uxie LA
2x Unown G
4x Roseanne's Research
4x Bebe's Search
4x Rare Candy
4x Broken Time-Space
2x Warp Point
1x Luxury Ball
2x Night Maintenance
1x Azelf LA
2x Volkner's Philosophy

That's what I'd say get first. If you really want to add speed, there are a number of inexpensive drawing and searching trainers I'd suggest investing in after you buy "the basics."

4x Pokédex HANDY910is
4x Pokédrawer+
4x Great Ball
4x Quick Ball

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Those cards should cover the basic structure of most traditionally built decks, and at the very least make you a competitive player.

Back