Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

What decks do you feel represent the 2009-2010 format?

Pablo

For those of you played in it. That was the year I took the longest break from Pokemon, and only played 1 States with Jumpluff. I've recently been building older decks of past formats (4 of each format) and I'm looking into ideas of what to build that best represents that format.

I'm aware LuxChomp won Worlds, but I'm just trying to find out what were the popular decks, not just the ones that did well at Worlds.

So far I have these lined up to be built apart from LuxChomp:

-Gyarados
-VileGar

Building DialgaChomp seems a bit redundant since I will already be building Luxchomp but I never used the deck so if it's 100% different then I might consider it.

What do you guys think I should keep built?

Wasn't 09/10 DP-UL? If so, Vilegar didnt exist yet(since Vileplume wasn't released until UD). We had CurseGar back then which was similar in that it was a Trainer(item) lock Gengar deck. If we are talking about DP-UL, then other big decks besides the ones already mentioned were Sablelock, Gardy/Gallade, and Jumpluff. Regigigas would've been big, but not everyone could get their hands on the Promo Drag-Off Gigas to play it. Also Legos(Palkia G and Mesprits) was pretty popular during the season, but I feel like it petered out by Nats/Worlds.

I think it might be worth building DialgaChomp, as it plays its game pretty differently than LuxChomps did. LuxChomp was all about field control(Bright Look and Dragon Rush gave you almost unlimited access to attacking the Bench, which most decks didn't have) whereas DialgaChomp was more tanky and aimed to keep your opponent's deck from going off by Deafening and Healing Breathing away the damage. Dialga could get really big with Snowpoint, Expert Belt and Special Metals getting him up to 160HP with a possible -40 reduction of damage and a single Dialga could last you the entire game.
Man, I loved that format.

Now, if you're talking about VileGar and you mean the MD-CoL/BW format for most of 10/11, you had a slew of different decks.
LuxChomp Gyarados and VileGar were definitely the big 3. VileChamp, TTar, MagneRock, Sablelock, LoxChomp(Sableye-lock with Luxray). This format was cut short before Nats/Worlds due to the T1 rules changing, so its not really represented by any Worlds decks.

I topped 8 nationals that year in masters. So I remember that format vividly. Con le won nats with sablelock. I know luxchomp was heavily played and dialgachomp was played by those who skillfully mastered sp. some played donphan/kingdra while others bold tried garchomp (stage two). I also have to mention jumpluff and gyarados. Don't forget gardevoir/ gallade too!

Flygon was also played a lot that season in many combinations.

Besides Flygon/Machamp and Flygon/Weavile known from the Worlds before, early season a Flygon/Gardevoir deck has been played, when HS released Flygon/Donphan was quite popular in some regions. There were also some rogue builds around like Flygon/Dusknoir or Flygon/Torterra.

However, heading to Nationals and Worlds, the number of Flygon decks played decreased.

Thanks for the info guys. I didn't know VileGar was only available until after Worlds. Would you happen to have lists of these decks hampuse1?

All I remember is that this period brought a lot of creativity into decks..... GG & LuxRay had their haydays.... but I remember people breaking out all different things with cards some people just wouldn't touch.... Good Times!!!

If you were to build four decks, I would do Cursegar, Gyarados, Luxchomp, and either Sablelock or Dialga. Luxchomp played an early disruption takedown game; Dialga played a slow tanky bleed you to death game. So they're pretty different, despite having many cards in common.

I still have lists for most of those if you want them. I'll dig them up and post them later, if I get a chance.

I quite like the DP-UL version of GG. My list revolved around Palkia lvX and Moonlight Stadium combined with Gardevoir lvX's Teleportation Burst Poképower to give you complete board control, so i could bring forward anything i wanted. At the time, apart from Palkia lvX, the only other viable "catcher" cards were Luxray GL lvX and Poke Blower+. You were pretty much stuck using Gardevoir SW as the main attacker this way due to Teleportation Burst, but a constant power lock dealing 80 a turn (Expert Belt) was good back in the days.

Sadly this "Board Control" variant of GG didn't see much play, but it was a viable concept.

My matches @ 2010 Nationals:

Round 1: Bye
Round 2: Gyarados
Round 3: Flygon Donphan
Round 4: Kingdra (LA/Prime)
Round 5: LuxChomp
Round 6: Cursegar
Round 7: Steelix Prime
Round 8: Blaziken Gengar
Round 9: Sablelock

Top 64: LuxChomp
Top 32: Jumpluff Luxray

Talk about a diverse meta! LuxChomp and other SP builds were the most dominate, but basically anything could thrive. As far as Stage 2 went, Flygon, Jumpluff, Gengar SF, and Machamp were the biggest. It's kinda hard to make a blanket statement about the meta, because unlike nowadays, almost anything was viable if piloted well and built properly.

Back