Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

What do you think the future will be like?

Jayson

What do you think the world will be like in 2050? 2100? 2150? Do you think we're heading toward good times, or bad times? Or more of the same?

Bonus question, if you've been around for a while: how does the current state of the planet compare to what you imagined the future would be like when you were a kid?

I haven't been around all that long, but I've basically had a front-row seat watching technology, civil rights, and the condition of developing parts of the world all improve by leaps and bounds during my lifetime. Nuclear weapons are being decommissioned, nuclear energy is being reconsidered. Infant mortality and birth rates are stabilizing. We've conquered so many diseases, and we're working hard to eradicate the rest.

On the other hand, there are still a lot of people still starving, and natural disasters still hit us pretty hard. We're highly dependent on oil, and we create a lot of pollution as a result. Not to mention it's a scarce resource, and we haven't been very responsible with it. There's still a lot of conflict and civil rights issues around the world, and the majority of wealth is controlled by a minuscule minority, but these issues have existed consistently throughout history.

Whether things get better or worse, I'm excited to see where things go from here. What do you think?

The future huh...

Well with infant mortality being lower and lower, more diseases being eradicated daily, people living longer, and those who should have already died being kept artificially alive the future is pretty bleak. There exists in all things a natural equilibrium. To tip the scale in favor of one side or the other is irresponsible at best, suicide at worst.

Death is very necessary in that cycle. As we people continue existing in ever growing masses we are using more and more resources. If we continue to do things in the same manner, even food sources won't be sustainable. This will lead to either mass starvation until the natural equilibrium is once again reached, with or without mankind or complete governmental control over birth rates and how and when life sustaining measures are taken to save someone based on health/age.

I don't know if you have read the Hunger Games series, but that's precisely where we as a whole are headed. Well, maybe minus the televised death matches between representatives from different tribes who fight for the right to food. Who knows though, people would probably watch it for entertainment and just based off how television was 20 years ago vs how it is today, it definitely isn't out of the realm of possibility. It'll take a while to get there, but unless we learn to regulate ourselves individually in population control it is the inevitable end road.

Probably best said by Agent Smith in The Matrix:

I'd like to share a revelation that I've had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species and I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply and multiply until every natural resource is consumed and the only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You're a plague and we are the cure.

I think an alien civilization named the Covenant will make weapons of mass destruction - which are actually giant rings that have worlds on them. Then the Covenant will invade Earth because the United Nations Space Command try to destroy the Rings without them exploding and destroying the whole universe.

I pretty much just summed up Halo there though.

The Covenant did not create the rings... they were created by the Forerunner.

At least I don't think so. I never got around to Halo 3.

Anyway I think the future will be surprisingly like this.

I have faith in a duplex sort of world (mind you, I am only considering conditions in "Western Civilization" as I don't have enough background in the third world to be genuinely informed).

I expect that things will continue humming along in some form or another, with the same sort of plutocracy running the show behind the scenes while the average Western voter remains more or less uninformed at large, until an outside agent (BRIC anyone?) comes along to challenge the established economic hierarchy, which poses an issue.

There will always be "poor people." The question will be who is poor, how poor are they, and what action are they taking internally and against other states to climb up (and push others down).

We're golden until the illusion is shattered, unless of course nothing upsets the very top of the hegemony.

The Covenant did not create the rings... they were created by the Forerunner.

At least I don't think so. I never got around to Halo 3.

Anyway I think the future will be surprisingly like this.

I never finished Halo or Halo 2, but I've gotten to the last level of both (then my Xbox 360 hard drive got wiped...)

The fact is that the Covies want to detonate the rings.

You know by the fourth level of Halo 1 that the rings were created by the forerunner, not the Covenant...

lol derail

I fear that the tension between Western power and influence with fundamentalism in the East will only escalate, and that wouldn't bode well for our sense of "global well-being."

I think the entire world will be involved in a large scale war, competing with resources. Overpopulation will result in a war bloodier than any man as ever seen, resulting in the world's population being cut in half. Also, I fear for Japan, for in around 40 years a very large majority of their population will have died off, made worse by their low birth rate.

The world runs on oil and corn. Overpopulation and competition for resources will cause small nations to be absorbed into larger, more powerful, countries. The worlds population will be destroyed as war becomes more sophisticated. The only individuals that will benefit will be those that can return to the land and live like our ancestors once the oil drys up. A substitute won't be implemented over night... hopefully we will invent one before then.

Lets all conserve energy kids...

Well that's a good question...and speculation has been made from a Utopian society to a nuclear apocalypse. But especially for those of us who haven't been around as long, it's important to think back to times like the Cold War. The Great Depression. A lot of fear, and a lot of uncertainty have always abounded. There's a lot of suffering and poverty in various places of the world, like Africa. And it's always been hard for certain parts of the world. I think until the second coming (I'm a Christian, this is what I believe) , society will continue to advance as it has, and little will change. There will always been war. There will always be suffering and persecution in various parts of the world. And there will always been a center of focus. I think America has been a center of focus for quite sometime. (and I don't just say that because I live here) It's been stated more than once, and I agree, America is the greatest nation in the world. But for America at least, I don't necessarily see that always being the case in the future. It's a little weird, but I think the shift in power will change a lot, as various countries try to advance in various ways. I'm sure we'll eventually find some new way to harness energy which will create all new potential ways to do things. (hover cars and automatic sliding doors everywhere, pl0x) But as long as we're in the present, it will never seem so weird. I think most people from 50 years ago would be astonished by how much everything has changed. But we're not. Because it's happening right now. And of all the futurist concepts, I think time travel and seeing into the future/past is one of the most impossible. So as great as speculation is, the 'future' will be the present before you know it, and we won't even notice. =p

(honestly though, I would really like a zombie apocolypse. That would be the way to go.)

Bonus question, if you've been around for a while: how does the current state of the planet compare to what you imagined the future would be like when you were a kid?

Skipping to the bonus:biggrin:

I haven't been around for too long, but I still remember my family stocking up on canned foods and water just in case all the world's computers stopped working on 1/1/00. Plain to see that turned out alright.

I think America has been a center of focus for quite sometime. (and I don't just say that because I live here) It's been stated more than once, and I agree, America is the greatest nation in the world. But for America at least, I don't necessarily see that always being the case in the future.

Out of curiosity, what do you feel makes a nation the greatest? Sporting events, citizens who have shaped the way we live, the size of the economy or quality of life etc?

Back