Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

What makes a deck 'fun' to play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weedler

You've seen it before.

Players who refuse to play a certain type of deck because it isn't 'fun'.

My question is, what makes a deck more fun to play than any other deck? Is it that you made up the strategy (or lack thereof) by yourself, is it more fun to play a fast deck that it is a stall deck, or is it largely a matter of preference?

I have fun with any deck that WINS, so it goes without saying that I enjoy every minute of my Pokemon TCG experience.

I've always found playing other people's decks to be fun. I borrowed ixidor89's T2 Dark Slowking deck for a week in March and played in a tournament with it. Darn! That deck is fast! That's about the most fun I've ever had in Pokemon!

I also find it very fun to end up 2nd or 1st seed in the middle of a tournament while playing a secret deck (i.e. my own creation- NO ONE has ever seen it).

I guess it's "fun" when you can pull off some really crazy effects, like weird induced attack/power effects, multiple or extra-strength special conditions, doing a lot of damage to several Pokemon at once, etc. Of course, that all sounds pretty good, so it probably isn't competitive because it probably doesn't happen most of the time, or isn't good enough to win.

We call them "fun" decks because we enjoy playing them, but they aren't exactly the most competitive decks in the universe. They're decks that try some insane combo that, if it goes right, dominates everything that it plays. Or it's a deck that uses a person's favorite Pokemon in some interesting fashion. Stuff like that.

With Maroswap, the fun was always the posssibility of a T2 win. That got harder with Mentor and Dual Ball, but I always had fun with that.

The most fun I have playing the game is whenI am evenly matched and am striving to gain the upper hand. I love it when the challenge is so strong that I can barely keep up. Whether I win or lose, if I have an amazing match I have fun. Winning T2 and getting slaughtered just aren't as fun as proving my skills verses an amazing opponent.

I don't think a deck can be fun or not, but if the games are evenly matched and you have to pull off crazy 1337 moves to win THATS when I have the most fun, when I'm challenged.

I love new combinations - I'll sometimes build the uber-decks that people compete with to see how well they work, but I'm more along the lines of playing something that I made.

I also like figuring out how to make the built-in combinations work. Like, I want to try out Wailord from EX Legend Maker...what kind of deck can I make with that, that would take advantage of its abilities? (My Flaming Muk deck was based on the idea that I liked Full Flame, so every card in the deck was geared towards getting the most from FF.)

I like playing decks that have a kool way of doing damage and have kool pokemon. Rock-Lock and Dragtrode are huge examples, Dark pokemon are awesome, and there's a bunch of neat ways in both of those decks to do damage, and awesome pokemon too.
I like MetaNite for those same reasons.
While I think EggChu will be an incredibly good deck next season, I don't particulary like the pokemon that make it up, so I don't think that deck is as fun to play.

No offense to anyone, but I think mewtric is the most boring deck to play.

Go ahead and flame me and say that i just don't know how to play it...but I think it's so boring to just sit there and disconnect over and over

mtjimmer said:
I love new combinations - I'll sometimes build the uber-decks that people compete with to see how well they work, but I'm more along the lines of playing something that I made.

I also like figuring out how to make the built-in combinations work. Like, I want to try out Wailord from EX Legend Maker...what kind of deck can I make with that, that would take advantage of its abilities? (My Flaming Muk deck was based on the idea that I liked Full Flame, so every card in the deck was geared towards getting the most from FF.)

You could play it with Roselia and Delcatty (or Huntails is it? the one that moves React Energy's?) and thus you have Wailord doing damage with a bench full of Wailord and Delcatty's and 1 Roselia, then once a Wailord gets damaged you FREE retreat for another one and keep damaging whilst the other one gets healed in the bench, and if you have more Reacts out you can even heal the active and have a nice swarm going there with a Queen like attack which is good.

Weedler said:
You've seen it before.

Players who refuse to play a certain type of deck because it isn't 'fun'.

My question is, what makes a deck more fun to play than any other deck? Is it that you made up the strategy (or lack thereof) by yourself, is it more fun to play a fast deck that it is a stall deck, or is it largely a matter of preference?

I have fun with any deck that WINS, so it goes without saying that I enjoy every minute of my Pokemon TCG experience.

You're the guy that had the win vs Yamato and blew it due to a huge misplay?

I like decks that has a semi-advanced mechanic to them. Could seem boring to others to play DragTrode or LBS, but the cards just have their way of working together. But I think that's the beauty of Pokemon, the card pool *) allows you to build decks that fits your personailty, some like disruption, some like to stall and watch their opponent pull out their hair, some like new/secret decks that their oppoents have trouble finding out of.. and some just like decks based on luck.

*) Well, at the moment the trainer card pool stinks severely. I mean Fieldworker, Billl's and Professor Birch don't stand a chance against Admin, Steven's and Copycat... We need better trainers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back