Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

What the Pokemon TCG needs is an “Extended” Format-My Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbo Blastoise

Following is my Proposal for a new format:

Currently, the Pokemon TCG has 3 Major formats-2 Constructed formats: Modified and Unlimited and then Draft more commonly known as Limited. For a while, the game and its players were contented with just Unlimited then just simply known as Constructed and Draft. Then, soon after about the 8th set (Neo Discovery I believe), the game was growing so large that it was beginning to become impractical to have just one constructed format. So as you all know, Modified was created. Modified was inspired mostly by other card sets primarily Magic: The Gathering and has become easily the most common format played in this game.

For a while, Modified and Unlimited each served this great game well-really they still do. But, there is an increasing amount of people(that I’ve seen) that would like to see more from this game and new fresh ideas. Let’s face it, they’re right! We’ve had the same basic “gaming” setup with regards to formats for what over 3 years? A lot has happened since then. We’ve gone through some ups and lows-WotC lost the license then we got setup with Nintendo which has gone well for the most part. We’ve also had over 10 new sets released since then. Not only has the amount of cards and decks grown but we’ve seen a rather large increase in the game as a whole with 100+ events becoming less and less uncommon. Pokemon TCG has really grown from the “underdog” of gaming to becoming a solid game.

But, in the midst of all these, we need to grow with the game and help this game to mature. Really this involves two basic principles. First, we need to have more events and attract more people into the game. And second, we need to have different ways (i.e. formats) to continue to keep people attracted and interested in this game. For the most part, we’ve done the first quite well with the various City and State Tournaments and the Challenges. We are even looking forward to the world championships pretty soon and beyond. The 2nd though, we’ve haven’t had quite the success. Why? Because to put it bluntly, We’ve had the SAME DARN FORMATS FOR OVER 3 YEARS!!! Now, don’t get me wrong, modified and unlimited are nice formats and they are fun to play, really and we need to still have them. But we need something else; at least 1 other format. Why? Because simply the game is growing and we could use some diversity.

Now, you might be wondering. How did I come up with this idea? Well, I’ve thought about it and I’ve also looked a lot at the current formats and other games too for inspiration. And what I’ve seen is that there is a growing GAP between modified and unlimited. Really, to play either format, you have to assume a totally different mindset. Unlimited for what I’ve seen focuses on Speed and Disruption and Modified assumes more of a slower pace by comparison with primary themes relying on big Card-drawing and big ex’s or Stage 2 Pokemon for OHKO’s. Really, we need something to bridge that gap and have a sort of “in between”. A new format would accomplish that.

Here below is my idea for the “extended” format. Now, before you read this, please don’t nitpick. Try to see everything as a whole and how the rules would affect deck-building/construction. I’ve tried to anticipate broken decks and as a result taken “appropriate” measures to ensure either that they aren’t even playable or that their power is significantly reduced.

So without further delay here is my proposal:

Extended Format- Playable sets are as followed:

Base Set 1&2
Jungle
Fossil
TR
Gym Heroes
Gym Challenge
EX: Ruby Sapphire forward
All Promos WotC and Nintendo are playable

Banned Sets are as followed:

All the Neo sets
Expedition
Aquapolis
Skyridge
Southern Islands
Best of WotC Promos (unless they are in Base-GC)

Cards banned from Extended are only:

1) Energy Removal- from Base Set
2) Super Energy Removal- from Base Set

Following are the “SPECIAL” Rules for the Extended Format:

1) Only 1 EX Pokemon allowed per 60-card deck (if EX is rare it also counts towards rare/holo restrictions)
2) Rares and Rare-Holos are restricted to 2 per deck per type/name(The "EX" tag on a poke doesn't count as a separate type/name so only 2 period even if 1 is an EX of the same type For example only 1 Blastoise/1 Blastoise EX or 2 Blastoise but not 2 Blastoise/1 Blastoise EX)
3) Each deck is restricted to 3 of one particular type of trainer per deck

I call it the 1-2-3 rule for short or 3-2-1 if you like.

I endeavored not to bog this format down with tons of rules since I want it to be simple but unique and refreshingly different. So since you’ve read the rules through and through maybe some of it you don’t understand. Well, let me explain a bit why I came up with what I came up with.

First of all, why I decided to keep what I wanted to keep and ban what I decided to ban. Simply put, Neo has some of the most broken pokemon cards in the game and the e-sets have some of the most relied on trainers in the game EVEN WITH the supporter rule. Why do I say that? Well, I don’t want to get into a discussion about how certain cards changed modified and unlimited and all that but I’ll say this: I wanted to make this format a format that encourages diversity and when I thought about what sets to keep and what sets to ditch with this format, I thought about what possible decks would emerge. Basically had I kept Neo I would have been rehashing some of the same issues that came up when NEO was still in modified. Basically Gatr, Typhlosion, Crobat, and of course the Babies (not to mention Elm, Focus Band and others). Not to say that wasn’t bad for the game. It’s just that those broken cards belong in Unlimited and should stay only in unlimited, the format of “brokenness”. Also, with the e-sets you have the issue with supporters and people using them as a crutch. Now granted people will use certain cards as crutches especially from cards in the earlier sets in this format but that’s necessary. Why? Because you need some kind of balanced and consistent card-drawing since this is what this game and most decks need to get setup. But while, supporters are indeed balanced for their cost, they aren’t consistent. For example, how many times have you gotten a hand of only supporter trainers? Yeah, while each of the cards themselves aren’t overpowered, you can only play one a turn which really cramps your game. That’s what I mean by consistent. Those are the problems of unlimited and modified respectively. It would be best, and I’m sure most players would agree, to leave those problems where they are and try to keep it out of this format if all possible.

Speaking of banned cards, I decided to ban only 2 cards. I didn’t want to get into the habit of arbitrarily banning cards like other games do (primarily M:TG). But, despite that thought, I felt that the Energy Removals just had to go. I think it’s obvious to most of you but I’ll explain why anyway just to be safe. Two reasons basically. First, only one or two energy removals played at a inopportune time can mess up about 90% of decks in Unlimited. This is a strategy game or suppose to be anyway so topdecking one or two cards like that just isn’t fun. Second, EVERY deck has to have something in order to counter it. Why do you think Slowking was and still is so popular in Unlimited? Because, for the most part it got around ER and SER where most decks couldn’t. Other decks that ran Dark Vileplume+Chaos Gym could also stop it. But since I wanted to avoid a ER vs. Anti-ER format issue like you have in Unlimited, I simply felt that for those reasons, it wasn’t in the best interests to have those cards in Extended.

And Lastly, the Special Rules or the 1-2-3 rule as I now call it. Basically, these rules are necessary, because I thought in certain areas banning was too excessive and leaving certain cards and mechanics alone wasn’t enough either. So I opted for a “middle ground”. Let me explain them briefly one-by-one. First of all, the EX Rule. I’ve heard this complaint many times that in Modified EX’s are simply too powerful and play too much of a role in the metagame. While, I’m not here to talk about that, I thought about that for extended. Banning them would be too harsh and leave the format I feel a bit stale. But leaving them alone would make this format practically just another version of modified. So I decided on a 1 EX per deck rule since I envision EX’s in this format to be used primarily as tech or maybe even as a supporting attacker. But I wanted to avoid EX’s being the overwhelming force that they are in other formats.

Nextly, we come to the 2 Rare and Rare-Holo Rule. Basically, this is used to supplement a bit rule #1. Before the hay-day of EX’s, decks were primarily built of nearly all rares. While, this was fine for a while, it quickly got to be excessive. Also, nearly all the powerhouse pokemon, Blastoise, Venusaur, Wigglytuff, the haymaker decks, were all made solely of rares and dominated totally the metagame. In order to curb the power a bit of these cards especially from the earlier sets and even some of the newer sets, I decided on a 2 rare and rare-holo rule. You can still run those decks but it comes at a bit of a price and as a result there is a bit of an incentive to go “beyond the beaten path” and try something new, something this format tries to encourage.

Last but certainly not least is the 3-trainer rule. This applies to ALL trainers(Stadiums, supporters, tools etc.) by the way just in case you were wondering. I thought of this rule last actually but when it came up, it just made plain sense. While I’ve eliminated the Neo sets and e-sets, there are still a considerable number of cards and combos that can be easily manipulated due to weak rules. Also, so-called Trainermon the use of excessive card-drawing trainers and other trainer cards, could still be a damaging force if it were allowed to go unchecked in this format. So, in order for decks not to become too too dependent on trainers so as to “disrupt” the format, this rule is actually quite necessary.

So there you have it. I’m sure you don’t agree with everything here so if you have any questions or concerns please e-mail me or PM and we’ll talk about. And since I never admit to knowing everything if you got a thought or a couple of better ideas, I’d like to hear them. I even welcome so-called constructive criticism. So I’m just an e-mail away. So, PM or e-mail or post here on this thread and we’ll talk about it. Oh, my e-mail is at [email protected]. Thanks for reading this and I hope this game through this gets one step closer to being the best TCG on the block!!!

Last edited:
Dude, my calls have been answered. 1 EX per deck is pwnage, as well as, you included the best sets ever; Base and Jungle. This format would be extremely pwnage, because it has the originals mixed in with the new, but the new is limited. The 2 of a rare and 3 of a trainer thing is nice too. I like this format idea.

I don't think Nintendo would include any WOTC sets in any new format. What we need in the TCG is more drawing power, banned ex's, and the destruction of supporters. :)

Uh, Water Pokemon Master, did you even read my proposed rules? That's why I want to keep what you mentioned under control. Banning would be too harsh. You need those cards to a certain degree in the game for playablity and variety however, with my rules I powered them down quite a bit to make them still formidable but not overpowered. And plus, I don't see Nintendo having a problem with letting "Wotc" sets in the game because after all it's their GAME!!! There main thing is profits and since the new sets are included in this format, they still get their big fat corporate check at the end of the month, so everyone's happy.

Last edited:
i think they should jsut have a format with only older sets... team rocket down... old school pwnage

Yeah, that seems good, or a Casual format like Magic, any card allowed, only 4 per deck, no restrictions...Likely that would lead to chaos though, because of thatt darn sneasel...

Hmmm

Any format with Base Sets that isn't unlimited does not hold my interest.

THIS is my version of Extended which I have been editing and revamping for some amount of time:

Sets Allowed:
Team Rocket
Gym Heroes
Gym Challenge
Neo Genesis
Neo Discovery
Neo Revelation
Neo Destiny
E-Expedition
E-Aquapolis
E-Skyridge

Promotionals:
All promotionals are allowed

Not Allowed:
Base
Jungle
Fossil
Ruby/Sapphire
Sandstorm
Dragon
Team Aqua/Team Magma
Hidden Legends

When the format would rotate, Rocket-Gym Challenge would be dropped, and Ruby/Sapphire-Dragons would be added. This is a much better way to get players playing in a creative format, yet eventually ease them into buying new cards. No matter what, ALL promos ever released would ALWAYS be legal, since none of them would be too ground-breaking, except Professor Elm in the 2nd rotation. But, it adds flavor, and will create all sorts of new, never-before-seen rogues and archetypes.

Not to blast your version. I just think this is more professional, and matches, basically, what Magic The Gathering does.

Last edited:
I really think Turbo Blastoise's ideas are very creative and would be a great addition to the format. The idea of rotating the sets after times as well would be good to get players used to more cards and to organise it better when there are many sets after Ru/Sa. Well done :)

First, of all, a base-fossil or base-TR format would be dull and boring. No variety. In fact, I can tell you right now what will be dominant. Blastoise, Damage Swap, Haymaker, Wigglytuff, does this sound familar? With my idea, you'll always be having new decks and new archetypes to deal with not the same old stuff. That was fine 4 years ago but not now.

Now to Patriarch's idea. Curiously, I thought of about the same thing. Here's why I decided against it however.

1) We don't need another "modified".

2) Too much broken stuff that made the old format i.e. neon have only 2-3 dominant decks

3) Because of #2, we need at least 1 format that promotes creativity and with the sets allowed and the rules, creativity will be not only encouraged but expected if you want to win

4) The idea of rotating sets is mainly for Modified and should stay in modified, the format you are suggesting means we'd only be playing the "old" modified (in today's case eon) a 2nd time. Personally, I don't feel that's very fun. Oh, this game isn't M:TG either. What happens in M:TG should stay in Magic as much as possible.

Face it. We need at least 1 other format to keep the game interesting and fresh. I think we can all agree on this. These rules that I've posted above helps to keep things fresh with new cards always in the format yet you can still run some of the old stuff that has been out of play for the most part for years.

Think about it. When was the last time you've play with your base set cards? If you're like me, it's been awhile! So, give this format some thought and consider it. It'd be awesome if we could play something like this as early as next tournament season. So if you like this idea, let's let Nintendo know about. I myself intend to later this week since I feel that the sooner we get this going, the better off for the game.

Turbo, I realize that Base-Fossil had no variety. But here are the archetypes of your Extended Format:

Blaze(obv)
Gardy
Gorebyss variations
Any other current Archtypes

And then, you have added new ones to the list, see if these sound familiar to you.

Rain Dance EX
Damage Swap EX
Haymaker EX
Do The Wave EX

Even with more sets then Base-Fossil, especially with RS-on, you will have the same archtypes. Nintendo has been bringing back more and more of the old Base Set favorites, and your extended format just allows people to put Uber guy and Uber guy EX in the same deck.

Uh, I direct you to rule #1 of my special rules that states: Only 1 EX Pokemon allowed per 60-card deck. Now tell me how you are going to run Gardevoir EX or Blaziken EX or soon Blastoise EX when you can only have 1 in a deck instead of the normal 3-4 in modified. Same thing with Gardevoir R/S and Blaziken R/S. Only 2 are allowed per deck according to my rule #2. Oh, and Oracle and Copycat aren't even allowed so even the trainer engine suffers considerably plus rule #3 keeps other trainers in check pretty well. Yeah, I agree people will try to run them and that's fine but I assure you that they will not achieve the consistancy or dominance that they have in the modified format.

Last edited:
Ok, scratch Blaze and Gardy from the list of archetypes. But 1 Blasty EX and 2 Blasty regular outta make a fine rain dance, same with Do the Wave decks. Haymakers will be fine with this rule as well.

To me, this sounds a lot like the old Prop 15-3 rules, and will be received as those were.

The 2 card rare rule also gets rid of any dark and metal pokemon that rely on them or rare special energies.

Great. >: )

Last edited:
Let me remind you first of all that the 2 card rare/rare-holo rule would only apply to Pokemon cards not trainers or energies. And secondly, it seems I wasn't clear enough with #2 rule so let me clarify it a little bit. Since most EX's are also rare's and run the same evolution line as regular (for example Blastoise and Blastoise EX use the same Squirtle Wartortle line) there will only be 2 allowed. I should have made that clearer but that's what it's supposed to say. I'll word #2 rule a little differently to reflect that. Yeah, it's still somewhat powerful, but believe if you think those decks are going to be tough, then you are going to be mistaken. Why, because they simply aren't consistent enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back