Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

What to do with my old cards?

I've got a box of Pokemon cards that are all a year or more old.

I haven't posted here in nearly a year, but some of you regulars and old timers may remember me from my posts when I used to play the Pokemon TCG with my grandson. He got me started on it years ago, but last fall when he started his second year of junior high he discovered girls and that was that was the end of Pokemon for him. He just feels that he would be mercilessly ridiculed if any of his junior high friends were to learn that he still played Pokemon.

Now he's into texting and Facebook and our Pokemon cards are just collecting dust.

I've been doing some spring cleaning and am trying to decide what to do with my cards. I have to confess that I, who am well over 60-years-old, got to really enjoy the game over the years, and feel a nostalgic attachment to my cards. But I've got way to much stuff piled up in my apartment, and, at my age, I need to simplify my life, and get rid of a lot of junk that I've accumulated in my nearly 70 years of kicking around on this planet.

I suppose it would be easiest to just donate them to the charity thrift store down the street. Or I could post an offer on FreeCycleSeattle.

Any other ideas?

did you attend a league when you and the grandson were playing? if so, perhaps donate the cards to the LL for loaner/teaching decks for use at league, a freebie box, etc?

or...hold on to them, he may want to return to the game in HS, especially if he finds a like-minded group there...

'mom

Definitely bring them to a local league. It always helps, and the little kids love getting ANY new cards, no matter how old or unpopular they are. That would be the best option.

I would say league too. It's a shame that your grandson doesn't want to play anymore... on another note maybe try to find something else you can do together?

did you attend a league when you and the grandson were playing? if so, perhaps donate the cards to the LL for loaner/teaching decks for use at league, a freebie box, etc?

That's a great idea PokéMom! And it's already been seconded (and thirded) by TheGeneral and and dogma.

or...hold on to them, he may want to return to the game in HS, especially if he finds a like-minded group there...

'mom[/I][/COLOR]

Hmmm? Never thought of that possibility.

Maybe I'll just put them downstairs in my storage locker and give this some more thought.

I have to confess that it would be hard for me to let go of those cards.

Hold on to them. When I entered junior high I found it childish to play pokemon. Now I am in high school and my friends and I are avid fans now. So, I would hold onto them if I were you.

keep a playset of everything, and let the rest go? :)

'mom

This is what my normal collection looks like. Double playset for myself, everything else in the Free Trades League box.

Teenagers is fickle. If he enjoyed the game before, he'll probably come back eventually. In the meantime, I wouldn't get rid of his collection completely, especially if it's something you guys both enjoyed doing together.

I'm afraid I don't know what a"playset" is. Could someone help me out?

OK, you folks have convinced me that I should hang onto the cards for a little while longer (I didn't need much convincing, did I?:wink:).

My posting here again, and getting such nice responses from you all, reminded me of what a great forum this is and how much help I got from the kind and generous folks here back when I was struggling to learn how to play the game.

It's gonna be hard to say "good bye."

Last edited:
playset = 4 of each, the maximum of any one card that can be in a deck :) i usually save at least 4 basics and 2-3 each of the stage 1 and 2s in each evolution line..

'mom

He's probably trying to be popular in school, and for some reason in middle school, Pokemon isn't popular. He's going to come around and play again in highschool since no one really cares about what you do, and EVERY highschool goes through at least 1 Pokemon faze a year (my whole school year was a Pokemon faze to the point in which we'd play our DS's during freetime and even hold tourniments in homeroom). Hold onto the playsets though if you do deside to donate them to a league.

You could bring them to Nationals and try to sell them to Troll & Toad. I brought some EXs last year and made a clean $120 off of them.

Back