Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

What will be the deck to beat after worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys its soles, we all know that fire was the dominant type this tourney season.

Will fire stiil reign or will something else take its place.

I think that more grass will make an apperance but i would like to hear from you guys too.

probably not the best forum for this but in my opinion I think psychic will be a strong one and the battle of fire and water will be huge. Grass may make more of an appearance yes, but I don't think it has what it takes to be golden by itself. Maybe paired up with something else but by itself no. Only time will tell.

I'd say the Electric now have a solid base to stand on. There may be more of them showing up that what people expect. Lanturn, TA lanutrn, Ampy EX, Raichu, Zap EX

anything with Blastoise ex will be the deck to beat... especially w/ someone who abuses his power... besides the beast himself that is. Gardy should still be a contender for a while too at least once Green Sky comes out with boost again... and with bigger hand sizes thanks to stevens I guess.

But I think it'll be Blastoise ex. Blaziken will fall.
and never rise until Stoise is squelched

I predict Fighting will make a strong showing in tournaments yet to come after the format change.

I think this is the order that each type will be most used.

1. Water (Blastoise EX)
2. Lightning (to counter Blastoise)
3. Fighting (to counter Lightning players)
4. Psychic (still strong, plus Gengar EX)
5. Grass (not great, but might try to counter Blastoise EX)
6. Fire (there will still be fire fans)
7. Steel (no new pokemon, nothing to counter)
8. Darkness (no new pokemon, nothing to counter)

I really think that Blastoise will be booted out just like Blaziken, Lightning seems like the way to go for this next set. Even though Lightning has weakness of Fighting, Ancient Tombs and Zapdos will help out with that.

Ampharos shoudn't have much trouble with Blastoise. Don't forget, with Ampharos' power, each energy you "Raindance", the Pokemon will take 20 damage instead of 10

sneaselsrevenge said:
Ampharos shoudn't have much trouble with Blastoise. Don't forget, with Ampharos' power, each energy you "Raindance", the Pokemon will take 20 damage instead of 10
Yes but Amphy doesn't totally kill Blastoise, it's all about who gets the better setup first. Amphy still needs to hit Blastoise twice to kill it, and it's the same for Blastoise to knock out Amphy.

Scenario One: Amphy comes out first, and stops Blastoise from going crazy with it's Pokemon Power, but both have an equal chance and knocking each other out.

Scenario Two: Blastoise comes out first and pumps up it's bench. Both Amphy and Blastoise still can knock each other out, but Blastoise has backup.

The difference between both decks is that Lightning is stronger deck because of Blastoise's weakness, but Blastoise is faster deck because of it's power. (not to mention it's attack makes you discard energy if you get heads) Overall I think Blastoise will be the better deck.

well, i've had the pleasure of testing out a blastex deck with proxies against a few other variants, mainly Primeape (rampage), ampyex, and a bex deck (all RS-on). here's the results:

Primeape: the speed of this deck is unmatched by most decks in the future format and even some in today's modified. enough draw power leads to more pokemon tools you have in your hand, making Primeape a lethal weapon. when i faced this deck, i barely got the chance to abuse blastex's power due to the speed Primeape was gotten out and the drawing power that was put into the deck got the pokemon tools to power up Primeape fast. needless to say, the deck was beaten after a couple of rounds. i tried a few times more, but the speed was just too fast for blastex to catch up with.

Ampyex: since we're both running 3-stage lines, this battle was to see who could get out their big hitter first before the other guy got his out. naturally, if ampyex got out first, blastex would be put into a tight position, which it was in one of our games. when both pokemon were out, my opponent didn't want to send out ampyex because it could be knocked out easily by a powered up TA's Walrein if i had the chance to use it. so, i had Milotic on the field as i tried to keep on searching for Archie so i could bring out TA's Walrein. problem is, though, my opponent's main attacking pokemon was Raichu ex. in a matter of turns, he was able to take out Milotic with a combination of ampyex's pokemon power and Raichu ex's constant run of dazzle blasts. when i switched out to blastex as one of my last guys, Raichu ex's mega thunderbolt took it out in one shot. needless to say, i lost every match.

Bex: this deck was fairly easy to beat, although i did lose one match due to an insanely crappy hand. once again, 3-stage pokemon on each team. there really isn't much to say here, since any decent water deck can beat bex if it's fast enough. milotic was able to hold off most of my opponent's force until Rayquaza ex nearly knocked it out, when i played a Briney's Compassion and returned it to my hand. i then sent out a semi-powered TA's Walrein. i then abused the crap out of Blastex's power to beef up TA's Walrein. then i played Milotic on a benched Feebas to heal everything, then knocked out Rayquaza ex.

in short, blastex hasn't worked well for me in the main decks that are going to be played next format. Primeape is too fast and Ampyex is too powerful. however, this will bring the reign of Bex down in the modified format.

BlizzardStorm said:
well, i've had the pleasure of testing out a blastex deck with proxies against a few other variants, mainly Primeape (rampage), ampyex, and a bex deck (all RS-on). here's the results:

Primeape: the speed of this deck is unmatched by most decks in the future format and even some in today's modified. enough draw power leads to more pokemon tools you have in your hand, making Primeape a lethal weapon. when i faced this deck, i barely got the chance to abuse blastex's power due to the speed Primeape was gotten out and the drawing power that was put into the deck got the pokemon tools to power up Primeape fast. needless to say, the deck was beaten after a couple of rounds. i tried a few times more, but the speed was just too fast for blastex to catch up with.

Ampyex: since we're both running 3-stage lines, this battle was to see who could get out their big hitter first before the other guy got his out. naturally, if ampyex got out first, blastex would be put into a tight position, which it was in one of our games. when both pokemon were out, my opponent didn't want to send out ampyex because it could be knocked out easily by a powered up TA's Walrein if i had the chance to use it. so, i had Milotic on the field as i tried to keep on searching for Archie so i could bring out TA's Walrein. problem is, though, my opponent's main attacking pokemon was Raichu ex. in a matter of turns, he was able to take out Milotic with a combination of ampyex's pokemon power and Raichu ex's constant run of dazzle blasts. when i switched out to blastex as one of my last guys, Raichu ex's mega thunderbolt took it out in one shot. needless to say, i lost every match.

Bex: this deck was fairly easy to beat, although i did lose one match due to an insanely crappy hand. once again, 3-stage pokemon on each team. there really isn't much to say here, since any decent water deck can beat bex if it's fast enough. milotic was able to hold off most of my opponent's force until Rayquaza ex nearly knocked it out, when i played a Briney's Compassion and returned it to my hand. i then sent out a semi-powered TA's Walrein. i then abused the crap out of Blastex's power to beef up TA's Walrein. then i played Milotic on a benched Feebas to heal everything, then knocked out Rayquaza ex.

in short, blastex hasn't worked well for me in the main decks that are going to be played next format. Primeape is too fast and Ampyex is too powerful. however, this will bring the reign of Bex down in the modified format.

Well those are good test but smart players will learn to get around primape and all the amphyex decks.
I Think blastoise will be the best deck when it comes out.

Anything that gets around the 1 energy per turn rule is going to be strong. Obviously, that's Blastoise EX.

And you can expect that to reign for a period of time.

But you know that counters will appear almost instantly. And you can believe that there are cards out there waiting to be "discovered."

davechri said:
Anything that gets around the 1 energy per turn rule is going to be strong. Obviously, that's Blastoise EX.

And you can expect that to reign for a period of time.

But you know that counters will appear almost instantly. And you can believe that there are cards out there waiting to be "discovered."

there are good counters for blastoise ex though, like trode ex, magneton, zap ex, amphy ex etc.

Last edited:
Countering Blastoise ex with Lightning WILL NOT WORK. They can just attack with someone else obv. who isn't weak to lightning. I'll challenge anyone to some RS-on battling via AIM/Apprentice if you AIM or PM me. Blastoise ex is the best...he's the beast of RS-on.

Last edited:
Physics Squirrel said:
Countering Blastoise ex with Lightning WILL NOT WORK. They can just attack with someone else obv. who isn't seak to lightning. I'll challenge anyone to some RS-on battling via AIM/Apprentice if you AIM or PM me. Blastoise ex is the best...he's the beast of RS-on.
Sure i will but not on apprentice on aim. blastoise will be the best deck then counters will come in then fighting decks will come in.

Last edited:
Physics Squirrel, you are totally wrong. The deck I'm using right now should be able to beat Stoise without much trouble. I don't want to give it away, but if you're at worlds you can see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back