Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

What Would You Add to The New Format?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmy Two Tone

I think we all agree that the new format will be Expedition forward or Eon. I really doubt that Nintendo will bring back the Black Star Promos or The Best of Promo's. My reasoning for this is simple: Nintendo has started a new Black Star Promo set with the two Ex Pokemon #1 & 2 Kryogre & Groudon. Therefore, it makes since that they will not allow the older Wotc Black Stars in tournament play. The Best Of Promos too closely resemble the Ruby and Sapphire Ex Pokemon without the draw back of losing two prizes for a KO to be allowed in tournament play. I could be wrong, but I'd be really suprised.

If I was a Master Trainer Working for Nintendo I would definitely reprint a few cards to add draw power in the new Eon format. These cards could be Black Star Promos #3, 4, 5, 6.

Four Cards that would help out a very slow drawing engine that comes from this new format. I have built 1/2 dozen decks using only Exp-Saph cards and find that the trainer engine needs something... speed. So please pick four (or more) cards that you would reprint for play in this new Eon format. Also state a reason why you want to see that card reprinted.

Here are my choices: (Drum roll please)

Black Star Promo:

#3 Professor Elm The card is balanced, Not being able to play trainers after prevents it being broken, but since it is not a Supporter you could play it after playing a supporter. If I had just one card to reprint this would be it.

#4 Bill In this supporter rich environment it would be nice to have a card that allows you to draw cards and continue to play additional trainers.

#5 Cleffa The Cleffa from Neo Genesis is a staple card that I put in every deck. It counts as a basic Pokemon and is protected by the flip, but without Focus Band it is not nearly as hard to kill, I have tried the Delcatty-Energy Draw and the Linoon search attack and if I had my drethers I would prefer to Eeeeeek.

#6 Double Gust I know it has nothing to do with draw power, but with the new rule of only retreating once per turn this card should come back. The only other alternative is Warp Point and this card is just better. It does require some skill and can not be played without consequence.

Now I know that there are more cards worthy of reprinting, so please list them down: What cards do you want back!

<EDIT - Changed title to reflect content of post. BDS>

Last edited by a moderator:
If they were to remake Elm and Bill, they'd be Supporters. Bill was released as a promo in Japan, but it had the supporter rule.

The next Modified Format has been discussed HERE! Please feel free to discuss modifying MF there. I'll be locking this as a duplicate.

Timmy Two Tone has requested a review of the lock on his topic. Since his topic is not really a discussion of what the new format will be, but rather a discussion of what should be added to the format if it ends up being Eon, we will open the topic. Please give your reasoning behind your ideas of what Pokemon or Trainers should be added to make Eon more diverse or balanced so this doesn't become a poll.

BDS

I think we all agree that the new format will be Expedition forward or Eon.

Erm no we do not all agree that the new format will be Expedition on .. I think the majority of us would like it to be expedition on but some of us think that despite that we are really looking at Rson as the format for the future.

So the question should be what cards would you want to see in any new format.

And that gets mighty close to the original topic in my book...

I think the following 4 cards should be re-released:

*Jungle/Scyther- great card in unlimited play. Maybe even change some of its stats to make it more like an EX card
*Fossil/Aerodactyle- this card completely changed the entire game with a pokemon power that made evolution cards competely worthless. Also a good candidate as an EX card
*Team Rocket/Dark Gyarados- Now I know its a little strange of me to pick it, but there was something about this card that I liked. Maybe it was the fact that it was the first dark pokemon I got, or maybe it was because I dont have a good Maagikarp card to play Dark Gyarados with :lol:
*Base Set/Revive- Whatever happened to this card? I loved it. It always helped me out in times that I really needed it. Im just surprised no one re-released it yet.

Noooo! Not Cleffa, the best thing IMO about eon is the lack of good babies. I hate flips.
I'd rather Double Gust stayed out of modified, I prefer to be able to build up on the bench.
But bill and elm would be great, unless bill WAS a supporter. The only reason I would use it is for oracles.
But anyway I think Goop Gas Attack (in a format without muk) and trash exchange (for getting scizor and sneasel ex's special energies and of course trainers back) should be in the new modified.

Super Energy Removal needs to come back. Not ER necessarily, but the original Super Energy Removal. A drawback to an ER card is necessary, but it shouldn't be a coin flip. Bill as a Supporter?! No thanks! Either print as it was or don't bother! Elm as a Supporter? Means they'd drop the "No Trainers afterwards," and it'd be a more powerful form of Oak's Research. Any reprint of Elm will probably be as is. Rocket's Zapdos is a good EX candidate, but don't reprint as is.

ukpokemonpro said:
I think we all agree that the new format will be Expedition forward or Eon.

Erm no we do not all agree that the new format will be Expedition on .. I think the majority of us would like it to be expedition on but some of us think that despite that we are really looking at Rson as the format for the future.

So the question should be what cards would you want to see in any new format.

And that gets mighty close to the original topic in my book...

Well, we've decided it's different enough if, for the sake of argument, we assume LC-on or e-on. And, IMO, that's a better assumption that RS-on at this point.

Yeah you guys have made some good points, but cleffa really shouldn't be reprinted. All it did was create havoc by stalling and its sheer brokenness to draw a new hand was just good. Everyone can live without it. Elm is something i really think we need to keep in modified if we want some consistant draw. Practically everything is supporters, we really could use elm, but without it the draw becomes incosistant.

Double Gust is a big one too as there is no REAL way of gusting in EXON PERIOD. It would be interesting without it though, but its just weird. I dont know its up in the air really.

Yeah if i could reprint ONE card though if Best of Promos are not included it would be Elm. As for ANY one card, hmmmmm i would have to say Rocket's Zappy or CPU search. Zappy would give a boost to electric which is non-existant aside from buzz/buzz EX. CPU Search WAS NEVER BROKEN IMO. What you got with it was broken, like oak. CPU would be a good thing for the game and i have always wanted it back in modified.

Cleffa is just spent. It's been overworked and everywhere for going on 3 years. I'd say no Cleffa for E-on.
Bill should really come back as a basic Trainer, no Supporter. Elm should be here, but we don't *have* to have it either.

My 4 cards to add:
Gold Berry- Unlike Focus Band, GB actually can involve some strategy, and in E-on, there's not that much damage removal.
Bill- I think most of us agree how this is not broken, and wouldn't be bad for Modified. It wasn't broken in Neo-on, so why would it be in E-on?
Sabrina's Gaze- Not a bad or broken card. Gives you yet another chance at changing your hand. Also, this is disruption, something E-on has little of.
Finally, without Cleffa, RSA or The Rocket's Trap would be a good Modified card. The main reason these cards lost usefulness WAS Cleffa. By eliminating Cleffa, either one of these 2 cards would be fine for Modified. Once again, gives some disruption, which is really needed.

As for SER or ER, we need neither. Removing Energy is disruption, yes, BUT it's stupid. It's counterproductive. You spend valuable slots in your deck to remove Energy that can be replaced in a turn. How about making cards that actually are worth the disruption, such as Trap or RSA. They actually have some effect a turn later. (Yes, I know ER/SER are powerful, but I personally just don't like them.)
There's my opinions...

I've really missed Clefairy Doll for some time now. Why should it come back? More like, why shouldn't it come back. If you are too dense to see the awesome power of this card then perhaps then there is no hope for you. Too bad that it was not reprinted as a Best Of Promo or in Legendary Collections. Oh well. Perhaps it'll be in Sandstorm. :p

In all seriousness, Erika's Dratini would be a nice edition to any future Modified enviroment, forcing players to consider using Evolutions versus their Basic Pokemon. But I suppose Wobbuffet will solve those pesky ex problems soon.

No changes on my behalf really, we have alot of draw power with or without Elm.
-Phil

Baboon said:
As for SER or ER, we need neither. Removing Energy is disruption, yes, BUT it's stupid. It's counterproductive. You spend valuable slots in your deck to remove Energy that can be replaced in a turn.
Yes, the Energy can be replaced in a turn (or two, if it's SER), but one turn can make a big difference. Besides, the opponent has to either already have the Energy in his hand or use cards to get some from the discard or deck. With Basic Energy, it's rarely a big deal, but Special Energies that get ER'd/SER'd can be harder to replace. Besides, your opponent has to use that turn to replace the lost Energy, when he may have been planning to attach his one Energy for the turn to someone else. But there's a reason I specifically recommended SER, and not ER. SER also requires the player to discard one of his own Energies. That drawback reuires an SER player to use some strategy, unlike ER which can be used whenever you want.

I would add a pinch of salt. That would make it taste better. ;)

Really, I don't see why anything old needs to be brought back. I'd much rather see new cards to combat the problems of the format.

I think gold berry is a must as it requires some stratagy unlike moo moo milk or potion which are too simple.Elm is a no brainer! I would not include too much draw power though so we would have to look carefully at certain attacks and poke-powers for drawing.Dble gust would be good and I would love to see trash ex. back again.

IF the format is E-on then I think the only problem would be healing. Drawing isn't a big concern even though most of the good ones are supporters. I'll prabably miss gold berry the most. It'll be weird not having any good babies around. But it's time to change :)

-DA king :cool:

Last edited:
Nintenfreak said:
I'd like to see Erika with the Supporter rule.

That would be interesting to see, but just remember that most of the Gym Leader Trainers only affected the Pokemon cards that had their name in it. If they did re-release SOME of the Gym Hero/Challenge cards (maybe around 5 cards per gym leader, making that around 40 or so cards not including Rocket), that would bring a huge impact to the playing field. I think it sounds like a good idea.

kingkyle has a point. Healing is going to be a lot harder in E-on, and it will be hard to say goodbye to good Babies. In E-on, we'll pretty much have Pokemon Nurse (powerful, but pretty big drawbacks), Potion (weak, but it works), Moo-Moo Milk (a flippier version of Potion), Hyper Potion (a weaker version of Super Potion), Berry (delayed-reaction Potion), Oran Berry (same), and that will be about it. Just keep Gold Berry, and healing will be covered. For Babies, keep Promo Cleffa. It was underrated because Genesis Cleffa was around. Now that Genesis Cleffa will be gone, Promo Cleffa should get its chance to shine. Elekid might also be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back