Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

What you Prefer?

shadowlion

I was thinking bout how players react to a metagame. Do you prefer The Top Deck, Rogue Deck, or Metagame Deck. With still some states left to go this coming weekend and then regionals and nationals, what do you prefer: Go with the top deck, play rogue, or try to play the metagame deck (of course give reason so this does not become a poll).

My theory seems to be

Average to really good players play the TOP DECK

Average to below average players play Rogue

Great players play the metagame deck (usually something them or a small thinktank of great players make the deck and win with it while others try and fail later on)

I myself am a good player that just refuses to play the top deck, so decks are usually roguish type decks with metagame techs, sometimes they work and I win and sometimes they dont and I get fustrated about why it didnt win lol.

It depends. Are YOU good with the top deck? Do you have a rogue deck that beats the top decks? is it worth playing a metagame deck, does every good player in your area use what your metagame deck is teching against? and last but not least, do you have the cards to make the deck you chose?

I usually play with what I have or can trade for as the top deck cards are hard to get. I do prefer metagame and red face paint decks that ethier counter the top decks, or a totally new strategy in general.

If I like playing a certain deck and I think it has a good shot of winning then I play it. I don't really care if I'm playing a metagame deck or not.

I am good at metagaming, so I usually play metagame decks. Metagame decks are responsible for my CC wins (with Abomasnow and Raichu d/Stantler from 2 years ago) and for my other accomplishments. Metagaming is good, why wouldn't everyone want to do it? It gives you the best odds of succeeding.

I play decks that aren't necessarily rogue but have proven do do well in the metagame during testing and usually are underrated and therefor unexpected. Last season at States this was Togechomp, I went 8-0 at a SC with it and also got trophies at two others. This year I played stuff like Blaziken which already made me get 2nd place and Top 8 at States.

because im a noob and not used to the forum slang, what do rogue, top deck, and meta stand for? and what are the differences?

red face paint - An unheard deck/ stratergy

Top Deck - The best deck at the time to play. Also known as BDIF

Metagame - What decks are most popular in your area. People think about this when chosing a deck, as they want a deck that has good matchups against most of the decks they'll play. Example - If you metagame is Dusknoir and Gengar, I may chose to play Tyrannitar

In my area, the meta is very competitive. So you either run a top-level deck/meta deck or you bust. Simple as that. I'm just lucky my local shop sells the cards for a moderately price.

I play EXTREME rogue decks. People usually have no idea what the heck I'm doing until I've taken a couple of prizes.

I suppose I'd win more stuff if I played a Meta deck. but, I just enjoy hearing things like " I really don't know what your deck does" ... LOL!

I tend to gravitate to top tier decks, but then tweak them for my local metagame. Having a suprise factor in any deck I play is a necessity as far as I'm concerned. Even one card can throw off your opponent by making them wonder what else you have in your deck that's out of the ordinary list that people playtest against. As for picking the top teir decks, there is a reason they are considered tier one. Why would you hinder your chances of winning right off the bat by choosing a deck that isn't as fast, consistant, or durable than the best decks out there right now (unless your name is Jimmy Ballard)?

I play what I believe is the best deck in the format. It might be rogue, it might not be. Limiting yourself to ONLY playing rogues all the time is a bit stupid.

People call stage 2 decks "setup decks" because they require a significant amount of setting up before they are able to get out their strategy/begin attacking. This contrasts with decks like SP decks or regigigas, which require little or no setup to begin their strategy.

Torterra would be a good example of a setup deck, needing 2 stage 2s out and a stage 1 to be considered functioning properly. Regigigas needs only regigigas to be functioning properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the top tier and metagame decks start out as Rogue Decks. Remember Scizor/Cherrim? When it first came out it was a rogue deck, so I could hardly say that only average to below good players play Rogue. It's usually that Rogue decks use cards that are easier to obtain and build, so people who tend not to have as many cards as people who play more competitively play Rogue decks.

Back