Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Whats the best game?

pat460

In your opinion, what is the best game? Not video games, but like card/ figure/ etc games(heres what makes it not a poll) and WHY?

In my opinion, Magic:The Gathering is the best game, and here is a list of reasons why:
1. it, in my opinion at least, is more fun(which is why we play these games, right?)
2. It has a larger player/fan base than a lot of games. Magic has one of the biggest player bases, if not the biggest. IDK though, yu-gi-ohs might be a little bigger.
3. It has a waaaaaaaay better OP system than most games. Some come close, but it is the best in my opinion.(GO DCI WOO!)
4. It is the oldest game of the major ones. This means that the creators have more expiriance than creators of other games.
5.Magic cards hold value. Ever try to sell most of the stuff from base set? a lot of it is crap. Ever tryed to sell Alpha or Beta magic stuff? your be in some major $$$ And all the sets generally have a few cards that hold value over time.
6. it has more formats of play. lets face it, pokemon has one,:modified. yugioh has traditional and whatever standard is(I think) And magic has a variety of them, including OP for they 2v2 format

The main problem with Magic The Gathering is that not too many females play.
When I go to MTG event I get hit on like there is no tomorrow.

Your right about Alpha and Beta Cards.. Power 9 anyone? Black Lotus?
There are very few "Trash rares" in Magic vs Pokémon and YuGiOh there are so many "trash rares". In pokemon the trash rares are usually the legendaries. Ho Oh and Lugia UFO you got to be kidding me..YuGiOh is worse, you got to get the super duper ultra rares for them to have any value. Pokémon has ok rares though Gallade, Electivire, Magmortar ect. But what is "good and has value" is the current arch type. Mainly this changess because of weakness in Pokémon. MTG monsters don't have weakness. But there are certian colors that are better than others.

I sold an Avatar (token) for $3 and that's just a token.

Last edited:
um, what do you think the answer is going to be, asking this question on a POKEMON forum?

why not ask it over on wizards.COMm...oops, gleemax?

'mom

Well it's relevant discussion because people here are actually capable of observing things from an objective standpoint.

I find World of Warcraft TCG a generally more fun game. Basically they took Magic and removed everything that sucks about Magic (mana screw, etc.). I don't get to play very often (like Pokemon), so I suck at it (like Pokemon :lol:), but it's still a lot of fun.

I'm gonna jump on being biased on this one. Pokemon was the first TCG I ever played when I was younger. I enjoyed the game a lot, and the people that played at league were always fun. I remember quitting when Neo Genesis came out, because they canceled both leagues in our area. I moved on to play Yugioh for a short amount of time, and realized that you needed money to really make a decent deck in that game, so I sold off what I had, and quit TCG gaming in general. About a year and a half ago, I was pulled back into Pokemon by a friend. I've been playing since then!

I know what you mean.

In any case, I agree on the Magic bit. They've got to be doing something right to have been going for well over a decade. The game itself goes south every few blocks (Urza, Mirrodin, etc), but it never seems to really falter badly enough to die. Also it's fun to just tinker with a Vintage/Legacy deck over the years, slowly getting the expensive cards required for it (my mono-black is especially guilty of this) and updating it as new blocks come out. Plus my Sligh is a work of art and beauty.

I've pretty much been playing the Pokemon TCG since the begining (with or without league and tourneys), and I find it overall to be fun, even without the major prize support. Magi-Nation (lol if anyone remembers) easily remains second for me. It was such a great series with good artwork, a great GBC game, and a fun CCG, but it just tanked for some reason and is now sadly reincarnated as some dumb child's program >.>

Third goes to Yu-Gi-Oh since I watched the show way back when and still play the TCG casually. Just trying Magic now, seems to be pretty fun.

heck, not a terribly large amount of females play Pokemon either. Especially in the Masters division, unless she's a Pokemom. On the forums, everyone thinks you're a guy. I can't tell you how many trades I've made, where people call me a "he".

um, what do you think the answer is going to be, asking this question on a POKEMON forum?

why not ask it over on wizards.COMm...oops, gleemax?

'mom

...what? I too think M:TG is the best card game going. Just because people are Pokémon fans doesn't mean that they can't like other things more. Very confused by that comment :confused:

I hate the flavour of M:TG though. Let's have random distruction on a plane. Let's pretend we're all dark when really it's (mostly) crass. Lorwyn is rather cool though.

But yeah, that's the reason I like Pokémon a lot... cool flavour and part of me turns into a 12 year old every time I handle the cards. And isn't that what collecting is all about? Pure fun?

Assuming the "random destruction" refers to the events of the Time Spiral block... that was just the backstory of that particular block.

Also I dunno about newer blocks, but I've never found the older black cards to be crass. I use the Masques version of Dark Ritual solely because I like the chant in its flavour text, even. Plus, you just don't beat the salute Necropotence has.

heck, not a terribly large amount of females play Pokemon either. Especially in the Masters division, unless she's a Pokemom. On the forums, everyone thinks you're a guy. I can't tell you how many trades I've made, where people call me a "he".

There are more females in pokemon than Magic.
In Magic a lot of times I am the ONLY female, and in a bigger event there might be 2 other females that play.
(mostly because their boyfriend/husband plays) (this is usually at pre releases and drafts)
I am one of the few 21-30 single females that play

There are plenty of females that play that are not pokemoms.
take myself for example :p and A_Shy_Girl 1999 :smile:

Magic is good, but i've been to one of their big tournaments.... i don't remember what it was called... i think it was like junior super series??? for like ages 15-19 or something ANYWAY.

Their conduct was awful and rude where they would say things that just make the day less enjoyable and theres not really a friendly enviroment. just cause your beating them you gotta put up with they crap, or if their beating you, their crazy arrogant and annoying =/

but for overall mechanics... its close

Magic is good, but i've been to one of their big tournaments.... i don't remember what it was called... i think it was like junior super series??? for like ages 15-19 or something ANYWAY.

Their conduct was awful and rude where they would say things that just make the day less enjoyable and theres not really a friendly enviroment. just cause your beating them you gotta put up with they crap, or if their beating you, their crazy arrogant and annoying =/

but for overall mechanics... its close

Oh God, actually talking to other magic players (at least the tournament going ones that I've met) is really like walking head into a cliche-land of geekdom (not the good kind) and bigotry.

Marril: I'll be honest and say I don't know that much about the M:TG story lines, but I do know that the amount of times a plane has been destroyed for no apparent reason is just... sometimes I wish that they can think of something different than setting up something which is vaguely interesting and then all **** brakes loose and the world ends (usually literally). Lorwyn has an interesting setting - and I can bet Shadowmoor is going to be all about how it's now in tormoil and the world is going to end. Enough already!

As for the crass thing... crass is probably the wrong word. Looking through some of the cards, none I could see are particularly gratuitous in their depiction of violence (but I know there are a few out there). Depiction of women(-like humanoids) took a step backwards in Lorwyn, which was a bit of a shame (although M:TG does have the very non-cliched Abbey Matron).

The thing that annoys me about M:TG fans who like the flavour is how they think it is so fantastic and how it is advancing the fantasy genre and how every other product is beneath their time and attention.

As was prevoiusly mentioned, Chess was and is the best game. Just about every other game requires luck, even if the creaters tried to minimize luck, yet chess only requires skill.

Last edited:
As for the girls point, I dont see to many girls at any card game events unless they are married or with someone. Really, the only one i can think of is homeofmew, since a_shy_girl is engaged. To be honest though, if you play a card game to get girls, you phail at getting girls. lol

Rather, if you play a card game thinking the girls playing it are playing it to get guys, you consist entirely of failure.

Back