Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

What's wrong with Pokeball?

Adv1sor

Ok, I know, the coin flip is what’s wrong with Pokeball. But how many other cards do you have in your deck that require a coin flip?

I know that there are some new Pokemon that allow you to search your deck, but this seems to always count as your attack.

With the absence of the old computer search and less and less card drawing power, what do you suggest for modified instead of Pokeball?

Master Ball and Fast Ball are popular choices. Dual Ball could be useful in the right deck, although it's limited to Basics. Oracle is also popular as a search card, despite being a Supporter.

dkates said:
Master Ball and Fast Ball are popular choices. Dual Ball could be useful in the right deck, although it's limited to Basics. Oracle is also popular as a search card, despite being a Supporter.

Are these cards allowed in modified?

Please excuse my lack of knowledge on the current cards, I am returning to the game after a long long time away and am still disillusioned about not being able to win most games on the first turn ;)

Yes all the aforementioned cards are allowed in modified. Some Pros and cons of those cards are:

Master Ball:
Pro: Evolution or Basic

Con: Only if its in the top 7 cards of your deck.

Fast Ball:
Pro: Guaranteed Evolution Card

Con: Don't get to choose the evolution if you have more then one evolution in your deck. And no basic Search.

Also shouldn't this be in the single card section?

Venusaur said:
The best card for getting basics is Pokemon Fan Club.
The best card for getting evolutions is Professor Elm's Method.

Pidgeotto Trainer said:
or Lanette's Net Search for basics in certain decks.

Hmmm, thanks everyone for their helpful comments, but I still wonder if the best card for getting both basics and evolutions, in any deck, is the old Pokeball.

I've got to go practice my coin flipping.

Flip flip flippety flip flip flip.....no! Unless using it as a side tactic or an additional 'surprise card' or backing it up with retrievals never base your deck on a probability (IMHO of course)

If you want a decent card to get both Basics and Evolutions, look at Master Ball.

Underground Expedition can be ok...
Fast Ball and Master Ball are good,
and there is always Forest Guardian, but thats a Supporter...
I miss Elm :p

I dunno if Elm was all that it was cracked up to be. I mean its the Ultimate Supporter. No Trainers at all after you play if for just an Oak's Research with 2 extra cards.

The best card for getting basics is Pokemon Fan Club.
The best card for getting evolutions is Professor Elm's Method.- Venusaur

Ditto. Those are quite the best to use for their specific purposes.

The only problem is the Supporter rule. IMO, I'd rather use my Supporter for Copycat or POR. I find Dual Ball and Master Ball to be quite sufficient for the purposes of most decks. If you need more than that for searching, just throw in a coupld of Dunsparce or some Fast Ball.

Back