Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

What's your favorite set?

Spheal says

I have a feeling that a thread like this has been posted before, but I'm very curious to see which set is the most popular and why.

I'd have to say my favorite set would have to be Base Set because it's the most classic TCG anything, ever, and it's popularity made it possible for this site and so many others to exist today, ten years down the line. My second favorite would have to be the Fossil set, due to the fact that I finally saw the appearance of some of my favorite Poke'mon (Lapras, Aerodactyl, Muk), plus original Ditto and Fossil Magmar are still awesome cards by today's standards, especially Ditto. + Fossil was so cool looking and exciting when it came out. As for the set that I think is the best as far as game play goes, I'd definitely have to go with Storm Front... Gengar... Machamp.. Scizor... Dusknoir... Premier Ball... this set is dominating competitive play right now. I'm doubtful that we'll ever see non level X Pokemon this good again. (I have to add that Platinum is a close runner up.)

I look forward to hearing what people have to say. Especially since I missed every set between Neo and D&P, lol.

MOD NOTE: Give a reason as to your choice or this will be locked as a poll.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just started back playing in december so my favorite set would have to be Platinum. Since my favorite card Ampharos came in the set, and me creating some awesone red face paint decks with it!! lol

Base Set, FRLG, DP, PL, SF and RR. Also it isn't out yet but I think I will also love Supreme Victors even though it is the worst set name in a while in my opinion!

Unseen Forces, sooo many good looking cards, plus the subset of every single Unown which I loves. Only downside was the huge amount of EX's to collect.
Neo Revealation because for so many good cards in such a small set.
Majestic Dawn for the first appearance of all 7 Eeveelutions.

Please be sure you give a reason as to your decision or this will be locked as a poll. I really cannot choose myself, because I haven't been playing nearly as long as most. I really did enjoy the first few sets after DP was released, they really changed the format a lot.

Sorry, I enjoyed Skyridge because the art was nice, the style was new, and it contained some of my favorite cards ever created (Jolteon, Vaporeon, and Gyrados).

Delta Species. No question. It had Salamence (my first deck), Metanite, good EXs, and the Holon Engine.

I just liked the idea of the whole Holon thing anyway.

My second: probably a tie between UF and HP.

Diamond and Pearl.

When that set came out, almost every card out of that set was used and it was funny how both slow and fast mixed in together for like, the first time wow.

And my favorite cards are in there. X)

my absolute favorite set is holon phantoms. why?? cause you can't go wrong with mewtwo star, gyarados star and mew ex. c'mon man, along with the wide variety of delta species and by far the coolest foil energies. but second place would have to go ex deoxys, just cause it sounds cool

Unseen Forces, since tyranitar ex was awesome :D

Great choice!

I would have to say Stormfront. It gave birth to three of the greatest stage 2s out there right now. T-tar, Gengar, Machamp. Love them or hate them they are game changing and we owe it to SF.

The sets you guys mentioned are pretty cool. The Delta Species concept is an awesome one, I can definitely see it breathing life into the franchise (I love my holo fire-type Primeape). But I gotta say EXes seem weak to me, minus Tyranitar EX. Losing a third of the game by having one card knocked out sucks, but then again so did 90% of the cards in existence back then (By today's standards).

My favorite set is Skyridge, because the e-card layout is cool, the art was pretty good, and it had crystal Pokémon, which are cool even though they have always been useless. There are also some good Supporters, such as Oracle and Relic Hunter in the set. I really think they should have reprinted one of those instead of the completely random Underground Expedition, but I suppose there's still a chance that one of them will be reprinted in AA or another set.

They can't reprint Oracle. It is too good in this format. Via Cosmic Power, it's basically "Get any 2 Cards."

In that format, they were at a standstill. They didn't have Bill or Professor Oak legal anymore, and they didn't have draw support or even cards like Pokedex HANDY910is.

Wow. I just checked out the legendary birds from Skyridge... horrible... The Charizard... AWESOME.

Last edited:
Back