Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

When gimmicky techs work effectively ~ Masters Report

Shino Bug Master

Front Page News Editor
After 2 dissapointing Battle Roads in a row, I was determined to do some damage in my hometown BRs. Only problem, I only had the cards for GG and Beedrill. I also have like >9000 Secret Wonders Absols laying around, so i decide that's just how I want to run it. I know I can't beat Flygon, Gengar, Gyarados and Sps with my current, standard list. And that's pretty much my meta. So I start digging through all the possible techs. I can think of Dusknoir DP and Ditto to tilt the Flygon match-up. I just can't think of an anti Gyarados tech. The night before, I stumble across my old MT Honckrow and i think about the new one. I figure worst case, it combos well with Dusknoir DP. I figure Gengar is just my autoloss. So I stick it in and make this:

4-3-1 Gardevoir (all PT)
2 Gardevoir SW
1 Gallade
1 Gardevoir Lv.X
2-2 Claydol
1 Unown G
1 Azelf
3 Absol
1 Ditto
1-0-1 Dusknoir
1-1 Honckrow
Pokemon = 26

4 Call
5 Psychic
1 Rainbow
2 Upper
Energy = 12

4 Rare Candy
3 Team Galactic's Wager
3 Roseanne's
3 Bebe's
1 Palmers
1 Luxury Ball
3 Poke Radar
2 Warp Point
2 Moonlight
T/S/S = 22

I'm a little concerned that I don't have a way to get rid of Absols, other then sticking them under with Cosmic Power. But I go for it anyway.

Round 1 vs D. Strussers(sp?) w/Deck
So, this guy is new to the game, playing for his son. I'm not pleased about playing against someone I know will do poorly, but I try and be accomadating and freidnly. i win pretty easily, but a quick mamoswine on his part does cause a bit of a disturbance.
1-0

Round 2 vs Cory C. w/Gyarados(NO CLAYDOL/Luxray)
So I figure I know how this match is going to go. I take a quick prize of a psychic lock as I set-up the field how I want. He gets a Gyarados hitting for 60, but can't find a way to throw the last Karp. I take this time to set-up my web of anti-Gyarados hitting. I deliberately use Honckrow's power to grab a Karp, then retreat to Azelf. He here manages to hit one more Karp down and hits for 60. I send in Krow again, with moonlight out use the power retreat for free and level up to Gardevoir Lv.x. I manage to have it so that every turn, he can do 30 damage, and every turn, I use Teleportation, Dark Restorer, Moonlight and Bring Down, taking 5 straight prizes in that way. he attempts to KO my benched Pokemon whom I didn't need, which was fine by me. The last turn he played down a full bench so my Bring down wouldn't work. I whip out a 1-0-1 Noir with the Cnady and end the game by bouncing his Registeel and bringing back one last Karp. GG Cory, but I found my groove against Gyara.
2-0

Round 3 vs OZZY w/Flygon/Gardevoir
We joke around before and during the game, but to be honest, this isn't a game. my prizes are : Gardevoir, Gardevoir, Gardevoir, Gallade, Luxury Ball, Rare Candy. And he's Psychic Locking me T4 on. I tried to fight back, but that didn't really work. I figure i'm still up in the air to be one of the 3-1's to make it as I wait for my paraings.

Round 4 vs Joseph R w/Deck
So I get paird down. Greeeeat. I figure this is where my Battle Road ends. I try to be nice, but I just sweep him with 6 straight Kos. Not even a challenge. I feel like I haven't played any games today. Gyarados was semi-stragical, but it was such a mindless web, it was more of an autowin then a match. I end up playing against the two lowest ranked players.

So our Number 1 Junior lent me a Ditto before the event, and right before they call master standings, she has to take it back to replace the Lucario Gl her brother never rewrote. I say "Now that I have an illegal decklist, i'm sure they'll say I got 4th."

What do you know? 4th I get.

Top 4 vs Dillon M. W/Gengar
So I figure I have no chance here. That is, until I sack a terrible set-up and Dusknoir his Gengar. Then use Honckrow/Dusknoir to put away his Claydol adn Psychic Lock him. I manage to keep control this entire game, with a Guarded Claydol, hitting what I need where i need. I eventually drop a Ditto and use Poltergiest out of nowhere (thank you PT Gardevoir :D) to get a surprise KO, and he flips tails. I let Krow take the fall here to increase my lead, and just manage to solidly 2-0 him.

Game 2, I know I HAVE to play prize denial. And that's what I do. I hit his first Gengar with a ballsy Galalde and get the tail flip off FS. I smile until I see I flipped 3 trainers with Gallade. I'm forced to take a facedown one (which is a Bebe's, GREAT). That was the one time I had a trainer in my hand though. with Cosmic Power and Telepassing bebe's, I keep my hand on a 0 trainer count. He tries to OHKO my Gardevoir Lv.X when I have 6 cards and I flash him a handful of energy and Pokemon, then take a KO. It ends with him taking 3 prizes, so I win.

GG Dillon. btu it's on to Top 2 for me1 And I play again...

Dejohne (mustard :D ) w/Gengar/Luxray GL/Garchomp
So I'm kicking myself for not making a deck with a better Gengar match-up. I figure that with my lonely Unown G, he'll win this.

Game 1, I start fierce with Absol discards, and make him KO it in 3 turns with Bites. I then go for some Kos with Gallade without needing to flip prizes. He sends in a Gengar, adn I go ballsout and kill it again, he gets tails. He gets another one out and I kill it with Ditto, this time lossing him to Fainting Spell. I manage to use Dusknoir and Psychic Lock to just overwhelm him. He ended up with a field looking like Garchomp C Lv.x, Crobat, Azelf and nothing else, retreating between Chomp, Bat and PokeTurning them. But I refuse to break my Lock, adn he doesn't have the energy for it.

Game 2, I start off strong, but i faulter. He gets a better lead with Luxray smacking around my Gardevoir. I again agrro Gallade for 2 prizes, but his Gengar gets a Fainting Spell. This gets intense, as I start hitting him with pretty much everything I have. Other then, Claydol. I don't guard Claydol this game, adn it costs me. I fail to notice how sevre my 1-1 Dol line being prized is until I have to solid draw function. I just couldn't keep up, and he takes 4 prizes and a Fainting Spell flip to get the lead and sudden death. I figure that given my deck needs Upper to work, i'm screwed.

Game 3. He starts with Uxie. I figure i get to choose to go first or second, and find out I'm wrong. I get the luck of going first, attaching to ralts and passing. he hits me for 30 with Uxie. here I know, I'm in trouble. I attach an energy to another Ralts, and Rare Candy into a Telepass Gardevoir. I manage to get some Kirlias and Claydol built up too. I retreat to somethign undamaged. He grabs a Lucario GL and an Uxie, and I realize, that with my Gardevoir sitting there, he can OHKO me with Uxie X. He goes through 4 cards with Uxie, but doesn't get Preimer ball or Uxie X, so he attacks for 40 and attaches energy elsewhere, retreats and is done. I make a boss move of dropping my PT Gardevoir, moving a rainbow and Psychic to it, and using the Lucario GL on his bench to score an OHKO with a warp Point. So I beat Gengar/Luxray in sudden death. And the whole thing

Props ~
Telepass. SOOO good
My epic tech success
Winning
Decent record for once!
Clint, Ozzy, etc
People who let me borrow cards
Getting a Dusknoir DP2 FINALLY
Absol
Ditto
HONCHKROW <3

Slops ~
Clint hating his deck choice
All attackers prized against Ozzy xD
Pairing down :nonono:
So many whiffs during my games
Junky packs
No marvin
New format next event, so i'll have to REtech D:

Nice job Andrew,

Gotta tell you, seeing that Honchkrow was depressing :cool:. Honestly you don't really need it to beat Gyrados (Gardy telepass accelerates you past the big Fish), but it certainly was the final nail in that coffin (and fun on your side of the table at least :tongue:)

-Cory

Thanks peoplez.

Cory-It does excellerate, but Gardy only has Gallade to hit big, and that's a one time deal. 0 energy 90 would've caught up with me eventually, given i need 3 enermahgy to do anything. And yes, Honckrow was quite entertaining on my side of the table xD

That is very interesting, because in the car back to salem With Marvinfrom saturday's Br, I suggested honchkrow to him. Lol. ownage. but he insisted on devoluter to take care of the gyrados.

I still don't think anyone needs to gameplan for Gyrados in OR too much. I have a feeling after the poor treatment Marvin's given it several times now people will move on to something else. I'm probably dumb enough to keep trying though :thumb:

What I really need is a free retreat low energy alternate hitter...maybe something like Bronzong (with Warp) to add in....maybe something Arceus....we'll see

-Cory

I still don't think anyone needs to gameplan for Gyrados in OR too much. I have a feeling after the poor treatment Marvin's given it several times now people will move on to something else. I'm probably dumb enough to keep trying though :thumb:

What I really need is a free retreat low energy alternate hitter...maybe something like Bronzong (with Warp) to add in....maybe something Arceus....we'll see

-Cory

KINDGRA WITH 4 RARE CANDY AND 3 BTS. That way you can candy instead of BTS, avoiding sand wall when needed.

-Cory

Aww thanks Cory. : )

But honestly, Gyrados with Rare Candy instead of BTS (maybe 4 candy 2 BTS) would do much better against Flygon.

Back