Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Where can you hold a league?

Scyther_trainer

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes.

My League group was left without a location last Fall and we're now itching to find a new location. Unfortunately we can't seem to find a store that is (a) within decent driving distance and (b) large enough to hold our league (avg 17 people; max 25 people).

Since the criteria for what constitues a valid league location seems to keep changing (or I keep hearing different things from different people), I wanted to ask those who might know.

I am considering a reception hall that is adjacent to the church that I attend. I'd like to know if anyone else has a league setup like this and/or whether this location is even valid.

Thanks!

We have our league in a McDonalds (in WalMart). have you checked WalMart type stores with fast food places attached? They don't charge us anything or make everyone eat there.

I would think that with you, a Professor, as the League Leader, a church hall would be acceptable.

How do you go about setting up a league outside of a store though? I checked the POP website and the only way to set one up seems to be by being a store owner. I know there is a way but I can't figure out how!
Thanks!
---Nicole
WeileMom

Nicole...It might be that only professors who were grandfathered in through WotC are able to start leagues away from retail locations; I'd contact Mike and ask him if that's so. If it is...PM me and perhaps I can do it for you, with you as league leader..

Doreen/'mom

I would think any local venue could host a league.Not really sure. NVR had this type of question before

Last edited:
A safe public place that has the abilities to hold league. It goes into detail under the league application I believe. I know personal residence is not allowed.

I wasn't grandfathered in and we hold our's in our Local Library. So holding outside of retail is possible. Store Owner only pertains to the League Owner.

We started a league in a building in the city park, so you should be able to start one in the church.

When you fill out the league registration form on the website, use the church address. Once your league is approved, you will have the opportunity to change the shipping address later so the league kits are sent directly to you.

By the way, the building in the park didn't work out so well, and we eventually moved to a used bookstore. The parks department would only let us have two reservations on the schedule at a time. So after every week, I had to make a reservation for the next league. It was a real pain! It cost something like $15 to rent the place, which wasn't a problem.

Last edited:
how long do you usually have to wait to get a message about the league approval? I filled out an application for a library but I have not received any response about the application being submitted or approved.

@ Shadowcard - have you heard back yet? I recently applied for a new League location, and Mike indicated he was a bit backed up (I believe a trip overseas also contirbuted to this backlog) on processing new applications.

@ Scyther trainer and WeileMom - indeed, the Store Owner field on the application might very well be you! To start a League in a non-retail location, use the responsible person's name (probably a Professor) as the Store Owner, the street address of the location, and (probably) the Store Owner's telephone number (you don't want the church to get calls like "is this the Pokemon League?"). IIRC, there may also be a section to fill in a shipping address - put the mailing address of the person named as Store Owner so League materials are delivered there instead of to the League location.

HTH!

Last edited:
RainbowRichards, I have not received any acceptance or denial notices.
Does the person who signed up the location get any sort of notification or is it only the store manager who receives an e-mail (I have to check in with her)?

ShadowCard said:
RainbowRichards, I have not received any acceptance or denial notices.
Does the person who signed up the location get any sort of notification or is it only the store manager who receives an e-mail (I have to check in with her)?

The person who registers the league gets notified in my experience. Send an email to [email protected] to ask the status.

The library was accepted and I am looking at the info now in the account. Thanks for your assistance, RainbowRichards. Did you get information about the place that you registered?
Mega-thanks to Mike and POP!

Good luck with your league. It's great that you finally found a spot for it. if you need any help, let us know. You know, I'm really surprised I'm not seeing more Walmart stores holding leagues. It's been nothing but a win-win situation for us and our store. The future is looking good for our league. Also a huge thanks to McDonalds. Can you imagine if McDonalds did something with their Happy Meals and Pokemon (like Burger King a few years back). I'd be in hog heaven, or would that be Pokemon heaven.

ShadowCard - yes, thanks for asking! Our new league location was approved a couple of days ago, too. Tomorrow is our first session!

I just want to applaud you guys for finding creative places to hold leagues. I really believe that the leagues are a critical part of the overall OP enviornment, and too often people give up because their area may not have a store or shop where they could set up. It's nice to see Professor's thinking outside the box.

As for me, I just started a new league at my college, in the food court of the University center. I have no idea how many people will show up (right now it's me and 2-3 others) - but the point is that the numbers are never too small. Get out and be proud and visible.

Great jorb guys!

Thanks all!
Team Cook, I personally am not surprised by Wal-Mart's lack of participation since they really don't have a good TCG selection (at least in my area). I am surprised about Target's lack though (they have a great TCG selection). I'm also surprised by Toys R Us lack of participation. TRU requires their stores to hold Yu-Gi-Oh leagues. I'm surprised Nintendo doesn't use influence to get Pokémon in there.
PhoenixSong, I stole the library idea from RainbowRichards :tongue: :smile: . My friend is looking into getting a spot at a college. I say advertising is key. Pokémon fans who aren't adults are going into their college years now.

If you can't have your league on a weekend, which is a better time to have it, Mondays 6pm-9pm or Fridays 3pm-6pm?
While Friday is normally considered more ideal, the Monday time would be friendlier to said older people who work 9am-5pm jobs.
That's what i'm struggling with right now. I hope the Monday timeslots are still open :frown: .

Back