Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Where's the Rotoms?

sunchris

Pretty much like what the title says. Where has the Rotom Decks disappear to? Or has there even been a chance for Rotom to even be a competitive deck? If played right it can hit for most weaknesses and deal some very powerful damage and disruption as well. At one point the only three types that it couldn't turn into was :dark: :fighting: and :metal:. Are these types the reasons why it wasn't competitive enough for our current meta? Not being able to take out Luxray or Gengar and now with POP9 rotated out even Machamp really hurt it?

Also if Rotom is playable what techs could possibly be involved?

Rotom is, at very best, a lolzy deck that will go X and X or worse at a given tournament. It isn't competitive or fast enough to keep up with SP, Gyarados, Machamp, etc... While the Charon's Choice engine is definitely interesting, and T1 Fan Rotom donk is also a huge plus, the things are too fragile/not powerful/fast enough to compete. I always thought it would be cool, maybe someone can prove this wrong.

They all hit for pretty pitiful damage or are either too over realiant on DCE to get set up quick, sure switching them out with Charons Choice seems great, but that's it. It has no advantage over any deck in the format apart from maybe G-dos as you hit it for weakness, but that isn;t really an advantage as G-dos will still roll over Rotom plus it has better recovery than Rotom so expect a return KO next turn.

Bottom line. Arceus > Rotom

Bottom line. Arceus > Rotom

X_empoleon_X hit the nail right over the head.

I wasted hours trying to figure out how to make Rotom competitive. It's downfall was energy acceleration. With the super-low HP, you found yourself stalling for an extra attachment between KOs (them KOing YOU btw).

The shift/switch-out is also sprayable.

There were some OK techs within that set of rotoms. The POP Rotom had Poltergiest and was Lightening/Psychic type!

The only Rotom that is playable now is the Walking Fridge. It has the interesting ability to OHKO both Gyarados and Donphan...and unless I'm mistaken its also amongst the bulkiest Rotoms.

hmm ill have to try that. It needs Lucario Gl to work, though it is very interesting. The retreat cost is a pain though.

Its funny after posting this I did some small research on cards that might be useful with rotom. Since most of the stuff was about energy acceleration which could possibly be fixed. Sure the cards I'm about to bring up might also just make it bulkier but it can also help speed it up.

Electrivire FB X: Yeah its a draw power on its own with the basic but the X's power can help speed up energy accel as well + it can use poke turn and all that other SP cards.

Rotom MD: Another energy accel as well but small problem...its only has 60 hp so most likely only be out for like 1 turn at most.

Lucario GL: Allows to hit x2 weakness as well...meaning Heat rotom + expert Belt + Heat Shift + Lucario GL + energy = 120 hit +burn on DGX, also allowing Fan Rotom to do 160 with belt to Gyarados, etc

I guess I'm just throwing some cards out there that might work. Anyone else have opinions on Rotoms?

The type shift is technically Sprayable, but it is a moot point for the following reason:

Player A: Type Shift..?
Player B: Spray.
Player A: Okay. (Play's Charon's Choice, grabs same Rotom). Type Shift?
Player B: sigh...

With seeker and super scoop you can basically type shift until it works against that power spray. You would need a free retreat cost for all of them, so unown q's and maybe the Dodrio UD line which gives you minus two on the retreat cost... you can swap rotoms freely. Crobats to add damage, expert belts, bucks training, plus power, anything to add more damage since you would be hitting almost weakness for x2 ... it could work if played right, but even if you make the greatest rotom deck of all time it would still only be semi competetive ! It would be more of a fun league deck to mess around with!

Are we REALLY debating the viability of a Rotom Deck in a HGSS/Triumphant meta ?

Guys. I'm just as excited about alternatives as the next guy, but if you're trying to WIN CCs or higher, you may be spinning your wheels in the wrong mud :/

Techs. Ok.

DECK ... nah man. I really think you're going down the wrong path.

Admittedly when Rising Rivals was released me and my sister weren't thinking; 'oh, Luxray GL LvX? Sounds like something worth trading for' we were thinking something more along the lines of; 'yeah boi, let's get us some beastly Rotom deck material!'
It would've been fun, but I don't think it's a deck that would be easy to work even as a fun deck, Arceus is kind of the only thing close that is actually playable in that sense.

Back