Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Which is better old or new

rhyhorn trainer

there is one thing i have always wondered was why people think that the tcg has only been out since dp but i have been playing the game since jungle and when i beat people with my decks they still think that newer cards are the cats meow and i want to know. which is better older cards or newer cards? i like older cards myself but now i might be going cynial in my old age of 22.

Allow me to introduce you to the format rotation, my friend. In sanctioned Pokemon Organized Play events, you're only allowed to use cards from Diamond and Pearl forwards. It's not that the older cards are bad. It's just that they are what they are. Old.

Old cards and new cards each have their own pros and cons.

Old Pokemon cards were really weak, but the Trainers were really powerful and sped up the game and let you do a lot in a turn.

Today Pokemon is well... more about the Pokemon. Trainers are weaker because most good ones are Supporters which can only be used once a turn (unless you get around this with a Pokemon called Gardevoir). The actual Pokemon cards are way stronger than the old ones. Just look at Sneasel, that thing was considered Broken back then, but if they released it today for the first time, I don't think it would have gotten much fuss. The same would go for Hitmonchan and Scyther... seriously.. . THREE Energy to do 30 or 40 damage?

But even with weaker Pokemon, Unlimited has some really good stuff like Blastoise Base Set and the Slowking from Neo Genesis that things in Unlmited just can't compare to. Even Muk fossil and Aerodactyl from Fossil have powerful pokemon powers that you'd never see in newer cards. but weak attacks.

I'd say in the end Unlimited wins since it has so many more options, faster set up with all the great trainers like Oak. Modified is just slower. The reason people pay attention to DP on so much here is because most people like to play in tournaments, and in tournaments you must follow those rules, so most people just don't want to bother wasting time messing around with old cards that they can't use in tournaments.

Last edited:
Old cards have thier advantages and old cards have their advantages.
^LOL

Yeah, the old cards are just......obsolete. PUI needs to rotate the format to:
1. Keep the format stable.
2.Make us buy more cards.
3.To be fair to other players.

well i can understand how in tornements you can only have newer formats but is there anyone in this forum that just screw around and use older cards or do they only use new cards to practice for tornements? my deck has a perfect blend of old and new. and i don't care about playing in tornements because just don't care about that stuff. now i have a feeling i have upseted people and i apologize.
:frown:

well i can understand how in tornements you can only have newer formats but is there anyone in this forum that just screw around and use older cards or do they only use new cards to practice for tornements? my deck has a perfect blend of old and new. and i don't care about playing in tornements because just don't care about that stuff. now i have a feeling i have upseted people and i apologize.
What? You didn't upset anybody, at least not as far as I can tell. :confused: Yeah, there are a few people here that like to talk about Unlimited. Mostly this forum is related to modified format decks, so you wouldn't get much attention. You can just have fun and play with it at league, that is what I used to do before I got into competative play. I'd say what you're doing now is probably the most fun and inexpensive way to play Pokemon!:thumb:

In Tournaments Starting September 1st you only can use Cards from Dp and forward. (DP-ON)

there is only one place I can think of that hosts Unlimited consistently.
This is at Sakura Con in Seattle, Washington every year.

Other than that people in the TCG community play modified.

Back