Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Who will be Kingdra's best friend?

Todd Ingram

I was looking through the new Spiral Force expansion when I saw the Kingdra card. (38). The translation is as follows:
~~~~~~~
Kingdra HP 140 (Dragon)

Stage 2: Evolves from Seadra

:colorless: Dragon Maelstrom 20x
Shuffle all basic :water: and basic :lightning: Energy cards from your discard pile into your deck. This attack does 20 damage for each Energy card shuffled into your deck this way.

:water: Tri Pallet
This attack does 30 damage to 3 of your opponent's Pokémon. (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)

Weakness: (Dragon) x2 Resistance: (none) Retreat Cost :colorless:
~~~~~~~

I may be wrong, but I am impressed. Very cheap attacks, one of which is a one-shot monster if used correctly, the other of which is an amazing spreader for being so cheap. Low retreat cost, high HP, non-EX, etcetera.

I was thinking that this might work well with a Black Kyurem. Both of the current EXs for BK involve discarding Energy, which fills the discard pile with :water: and :lightning: (both of which BK uses) for a big, cheap hit later with Kingdra. Setup might be a little iffy, but who knows what the new format may hold!

Any other ideas for using this card? I think it has potential.

A interesting strategy would unload a lot of early energies onto a basic pokemon that might not be super essential. Let it get KOd. Then use Kingra.

Lose a prize to gain even more?

^^^Promising. If you could keep it alive long enough to set up a Kingdra on the Bench, perhaps.
Enough good search cards involve discarding, which would make it a good habit to get rid of them. Plus, since they end up back in your deck, you could keep discarding Energy to search for energy, and use Tri Pallet for continued spread while you wait.

could be used as a tech in garchomp more of a water version of it
see dragon blade discards top two so use pokedex to make sure its energy then discard
flawed but cool concept :thumb:
also gabite could find kingdra if you use the good gabite

you could also use with rayquazza EX or his little buddy
little buddy same reason as garchomp just right energy requirements
rayquazza EX could be used discard most stuff using dragon burst then kingdra to get energy back then with a deck with a lot of energy you could finally use rayquazza's first attack!!!

Last edited:
It'll be a fun deck or league deck, but Black Kyurem EX/etherdex/kingdra. Black balista for OHKO, follow up with kingdra putting everything back.

Wouldnt all that Rayquaza talk need the help from the eels or no? All this discarding and getting back is confusing me. And if he does need the eels, rumors are saying eels will be 'n/a' in the new rotation. RIP

Wouldnt all that Rayquaza talk need the help from the eels or no? All this discarding and getting back is confusing me. And if he does need the eels, rumors are saying eels will be 'n/a' in the new rotation. RIP

No this does not need eels
Basic idea use rayquazza EX with etherdex combo to get some quick attacks off of dragon burst :lightning: energy is what you need more of in your discard after that you use kingdra's Dragon Maelstrom attack to get these :lightning: energy back to your deck so you can repeat the cycle again.

P.S. you can use blend if you want to use Tri Pallet

Hrm. I can see this deck going in either a Black Kyurem direction or a Rayquaza direction. With BK, you can easily pull of a few good Black Ballistas, while following up with a Maelstrom. Setup might be a little clanky, and it might also be hindered by BK's retreat cost. Rayquaza, however, only has a retreat cost of 1, and can use either of its attacks along with Etherdex and Kingdra for good, fast consistency. Energy might be a little harder to set up due to the diversity, though, as Blend doesn't supply Fire.

Any ideas for either direction? I could whip up a rudimentary decklist.

BK EX is way easier to do since you can match energy requirements but I did ray EX since it would be a tad bit more creative and cheaper since its in a tin.

I think it will be better with water energy. Taking lightning energy out of the discard pile is actually more harmful to the deck since it relies on eels to accelerate from the discard pile.

I don't think this deck has to rely on eels, actually. The only Lightning energy you'd need is one attached to each BK, probably. All the ones you discard and re-deck could just be Water Energy. Maybe you could even add in a Blastoise just to speed up attaching Waters to BK so you can Ballista (discarding 3 energy), retreat (3 more), and bring in a Maelstrom for 120 base damage. That might make the deck a little heavy for setup, though.

I don't think this deck has to rely on eels, actually. The only Lightning energy you'd need is one attached to each BK, probably. All the ones you discard and re-deck could just be Water Energy. Maybe you could even add in a Blastoise just to speed up attaching Waters to BK so you can Ballista (discarding 3 energy), retreat (3 more), and bring in a Maelstrom for 120 base damage. That might make the deck a little heavy for setup, though.

Blastoise to

Cofagrigus – Psychic – HP100
Stage 1 (Team Plasma) – Evolves from Yamask

Ability: Deep Grave
One during your turn (before your attack), you may use this ability. If you do, this Pokemon is Knocked Out. Place 3 damage counters on your opponent’s Pokemon in any way you like.

Then Kingdra.

Blastoise to

Cofagrigus – Psychic – HP100
Stage 1 (Team Plasma) – Evolves from Yamask

Ability: Deep Grave
One during your turn (before your attack), you may use this ability. If you do, this Pokemon is Knocked Out. Place 3 damage counters on your opponent’s Pokemon in any way you like.

Then Kingdra.

But you've got to evolve... at that point the opponent (if Catcher is still around) will be trying to get your Horseas.

Wait...Sorry, I'm confused.
Are you saying that Blastoise shouldn't be used, and that Cofagrigus should be used instead? Or are you implying a combo of the two? I can see how both would work...

I think it will be better with water energy. Taking lightning energy out of the discard pile is actually more harmful to the deck since it relies on eels to accelerate from the discard pile.

eels first off is not in the deck and second will best bet be out of the format by the time this becomes playable (if im correct)

Wait...Sorry, I'm confused.
Are you saying that Blastoise shouldn't be used, and that Cofagrigus should be used instead? Or are you implying a combo of the two? I can see how both would work...

The combo. Yes it's long and difficult to pull off, but could be a fun league deck.

Oh, you use Blastoise to fill a Cofagrigus with Water Energy, knock it out to put it all on the discard pile while setting up damage, then bring in Kingdra the same turn for a massive hit. Interesting. A little more complicated to set up than Black Kyurem or Rayquaza, but does more damage overall and, actually, potentially be set up faster than a stocked BK or Ray.

Anybody else have any ideas?

^This idea is good it looks at both ideas sniping and goin with energy returning attacks
It seems no one has taken account mandibuzz from BW
(hint now talk about how awesome his sniping abilitys are :wink:)

^This idea is good it looks at both ideas sniping and goin with energy returning attacks
It seems no one has taken account mandibuzz from BW
(hint now talk about how awesome his sniping abilitys are :wink:)
That would be because mandibuzz BLW is worthless.

A 50 snipe after a 30 spread still falls short of killing anything relevant. Heck, it won't even kill an eel.

Back