Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Who's Responsible?

Flareon

I thought this too simple a question to bring to the ATM forum, so here goes:

Who is responsible for placing markers? My brother and I recalled him getting a warning for not placing a Burn marker (of which neither player had with them, especially to note the Flariados player!) on his active Pokemon. The funny thing was, after he flipped he played a switch anyway, making placement somewhat of a waste of TIME, such a valuable thing in Swiss. So the question is, who? I know both players are too keep the game state in order, but who does the placing? I get counters ready for my Pokemon, or add counters for my opponent when using attacks like Spinning Tail to be polite and make things faster. So, help?

I would venture to guess it is up to the player receiving the damage and/or Special Condition.

Bottom line, both players are.
Primary responsibility for the act of placing the counter is with the player whose Pokemon is Burned or Poisoned.
However, if a player is using a Status Effect Pokemon in their deck, I would look poorly on their not having a counter available for use. It's not like they don't expect it to be needed.

I ran into too many Flariados decks at National last year where their player had no status counters available for use. Come on! The whole deck revolves around placing Special Conditions. And of course players think they can keep track of it mentally, but then you get the ineveitable, "...wait.... what Conditions were on this Pokemon again....?"

This all causes work for the Judges, delays of games, and rulings to be made that would be best avoided if players stuck two little cardboard discs in with their damage counters/dice and used them!

Fair warning: I will be giving out penalties to players that play a Special Conditions deck and don't bother to bring counters with them.

IMO, the player using attacks that burn your opponents pokémon is the responsible to have the Burn counters, but... where do you get 'em? I mean, I didn't even know they exist, it's like putting a Poison counter :S

PokePop said:
if players stuck two little cardboard discs in with their damage counters/dice and used them!

Oh, I thought there was some "official" burn and poison counter or something like this.

Anyways, I think its easy to remember if a pokémon is poisoned or burned, it's not like players using Imprision from Gardevoir ex d and not placing a seal marker or something.

It definately seems like it should be the player causing the conditions responsibility to have the counter since if they didn't use the attack/effect to give that condition then the counter wouldn't be needed at all now would it? Most decks don't burn or poison so why should everyone have to have counters that the few who need them should have anyway:nonono:.

You might be a red neck Pokemon player if your playing Flariados and don't have burn or poison counters

Oh, I thought there was some "official" burn and poison counter or something like this.
Anything will do as long as it's distinguishable from what is being used as damage counters.

Anyways, I think its easy to remember if a pokémon is poisoned or burned, it's not like players using Imprision from Gardevoir ex d and not placing a seal marker or something.

You'd be surprised...

Last edited:
Cut a cereal box up and write burnt on it. Is that difficult? No. I can't believe Flariados players don't have markers, that's so surreal.

I cant believe that players go to tournaments without damage counters/dice but it still happens

I cant believe that players go to tournaments without damage counters/dice but it still happens

Generally or specifically? I've never attended a tourney with a damage counter, just my deck and modified album. People are overflowing with them.

The theme decks come with markers. The DF theme decks came with the imprison and shockwave markers. Heck, use a green damage counter for poison and red for burn for all I care, just have markers. I agree w/ 'Pop. Penalties should be handed out if you dont bring condition markers to a tourney and are playing flariados (or other status type decks)

Keith

I am responsible.

If something didn't get placed, my bad. Just around 785 other matches going on in that second.

I am not superman, I am above-average man

because most people dont carry cereal boxes with them on the tournoment scene...

lol I meant the morning before not at the tourney :lol: :thumb: What a ridiculous conversation! If I make it to Worlds, I'll be equipped with my Kellogs'

because most people dont carry cereal boxes with them on the tournoment scene...
I do however know of a few Yu-Gi-Oh players who have sometimes brought boxes of Gold Fish with them:thumb: It easy to make damage counters and all the other counters out of basically any card. You could simply rip up bad commons and energies for damage counters and for the burn and poison you could just rip fire and grass energy simbles off of a card and use that (especially the big ones off of the energy cards. Heck most of the times judges have extra registration slips or deck lists judges don't mind giving to people to use for damage counters or condition markers.

I dont carry around cards I cant just tear up.
Well if you don't do that, and don't have dice or any other damage counters then you just choosing to go to tournaments unprepared and I can't think of any excuse why someone your age would do that unless they were looking to receive a penalty.

Last edited:
Well, people don't bring pens with them when they're carrying bookbags around to tournaments and when they know they have to fill a deck list. Even though there are pens in the tournament site, is it that hard to put a pen in your bag? It doesn't take much space at all...

14.4. Tokens and Counters
Players are required to provide their own counters to mark damage to Pokémon in
play and counters to represent Special Conditions and other game effects. A judge
may disallow the use of markers that cause confusion with regard to the state of
the game or that are offensive in some manner.

Straight from the rules. Both players are responsible for bringing the OWN markers and counters!

Keith

Back