Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Why don't I see any more kingdra or ampharos decks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dro~

I'm trying to bring back kingdra

24 pokemon
==========
4 horsea (2 reverse thrust, 2 retaliate)
4 seadra (2 water arrow, 2 waterfall)
3 kingdra ex
1 kingdra aq

3 vulpix (HL)
2 ninetales (HL)
2 ninetales ex

2 Jirachi
3 dunsparce

16 energy
========
8 water
5 fire
3 boost

20 trainers
========
2 high pressure system
1 crystal shard
1 town volunteers
2 switch
1 warp point
3 nurse
2 PETM
2 POR
2 steven's advice
2 copycat
2 TV reporter

Kingdra ex should be up in less than 3 turns. Ninetales protects kingdra ex from other ex's especially sceptile/ex and ampharos ex and can share the high pressure system with kingdra. HPS also acts as a counter gym. Ninetales ex is there for metagross and other big pokemon that ninetales along can't handle. The problem of this deck is to draw the right evolution.

Last edited:
-2 Ninetails/ex (keep the line you like better or go 1-1)
-1 Water
-1 Boost
-1 HPS
-2 Switch
-1 Pokemon Nurse
-2 Wally's Traning Method

+1 Dunsparce
+2 Jirachi
+1 Warp Point
+2 Professor Elm's Traning Method
+3 Pokemon Reversal
+1 Desert Shaman

The Wally's aren't as easy to pull as Dunsparce/Jirachi, this will get you basics and evos quicker and easier. The WP is for situations you need to disrupt, the PETM will help you get the right Seadras/Kingdras, Reversal will help you clean up benches REALLY quick...Ray and other weaker guys like Sparce will become easy to pick off...the Shaman is there for disruption too, which rox. This is a nice deck, my friend played Kingdra to win MI States; he used Haryama and was pretty dominant w/it. Ninetails is a nice idea though, the only problem I see with the deck is attaching the energies for NinEX...you could find a space for that 3rd boost if you really wanted it. Anyways good luck with this deck and congrats on being original!

I wouldn't pass judgement on any deck these days Joner. I dont see Blaz or BEX in the #1 spot of any of the Nationals yet.

Thats because it was all blaze metagame -_-. And then when they metagame the top deck,. the 2nd best deck beats them, AKA gardevoir =/

Ok..you keep thinking that, GJ. I agree that people are teching their decks against BEX and that BEX is STILL a dominant deck, that doesn't mean it is the KING deck.

The deck presented I am sure will do fine as you have listed it. Take it out for a spin and shake out the rough edges. I am sure you will see what changes need to be made based on your local environment.

I would add at least 2 sparce and more draw power...Stevens advice, Copy cat, TV reporter are a must these days. Squeeze in as many as you can. Use Oracle while you can. Its going bye bye soon

Last edited:
Why are you always trying to pair Kingdra with Ninetales? Last I looked the 2nd best deck was Gardevoir. Why not tech for that? Ninetales helps vs. what? Sceptile? What Sceptile? There isn't a lot of Sceptile. Kingdra needs a lot of stuff for it to run right. You need way more draw power. People stopped playing it because Swampert has proven to be a more consistant counter that is better vs. other stuff too. No one uses Amphy because as the format became more defined as Blaze and Garde, everyone realized Amphy has a bad match-up vs. both. The new 3rd part to the metagame became Swampert and Amphy couldn't even beat that due to Swampert ex.

I saw A LOT of Gorebyss though teched into all kinds of decks...especially Gardy; so that deck improved while that and ATM rock hurt Blaze a bit...something else to consider.

Didn't see any Kingdra, however...doubt it would've done too well; even though it's really hard to OHKO it and even harder to KO it after awhile with Nurse...Amphy got dominated though; SwampEX and Machamp both destroyed Electric variants...

2nd best deck? I'd say that the deck that wins the nationals is the best deck. Tech for GEx, because it has the biggest chance of winning Worlds.

Actually, a Sceptile/Kingdra deck won the Dutch Nationals 15+. And as far as I can remember, only one Blaziken deck reached the top 8, while there were quite a few water decks. Probably everyone expected Blaziken and build something against it, or played Gardy. But there are still Kingdra decks around, and winning too.

Type O negative said:
But there are still Kingdra decks around, and winning too.

We be talkin' 'bout America here, Type O.

Blaziken is still the single best deck in the format, and I'm sure it's hard to argue against that. But is it the most played? No. There are so many other decks being played, like Walrein/Milotic, Machamp, Gardy, Swampert, Crobat, Exploud, Metagross, SceptiMuk, and even more rogue decks. Walrein/Milotic was something I'm sure most people overlooked until our very own Pooka nabbed second place at Nats with it. I'm still trying to figure out how the deck beats anything besides Blaziken and Gardy.

But see, that's how he got up there. Pooka was smart and figured that Blaze and Gardy were going to be the top two decks played. So what did he do? He countered 'em, and he got second place. Jacy from NC won with a Gardy deck, so Pooka might have gotten a crappy draw. Maybe Jacy was the better player in that matchup, or found a weakness in Pooka's deck or something. *shrugs* Second is still awesome though!

HL just got released, and...well...it really didn't do much for Kingdra or Ampharos. Both decks can't dish out enough damage in one sitting to survive, and 150 HP isn't really as big as it sounds. Amphy dies to Machamp, no question, and Kingdra dies to a whole bunch of stuff. Ninetales ex isn't the card to bring Kingdra back, and when Nurse is rotated out like it soon shall be, the deck is through. Kingdra doesn't really have much hope for the future.

On the other hand, Ampharos ex is going to make a strong showing in RSon, because Blastoise ex will be a powerhouse, and Ampharos is just the deck to counter it.

HL was released not too long ago, so people are still messing around with decks, but we've still got a few weeks left before the Stadium Challenges, and about two months until Worlds, so we'll have to start playtesting like crazy in order to smooth out the edges of our Crobat, our Metagross, our Exploud, and our Machamp. They're all new, and all have potential, but we need more time, which is exactly what we have.

I still think that an archetype will win Worlds. A lot of people I know that were 1st place material purposely played rogue because they wanted to test it out. Exploud is one particularly deserving deck, GymLeaderPhil placed 16th in 15+ with it. For those of your thinking it's easy to place 16th, it really isn't. Not in Nationals, kiddies.

But those people will probably go back to Blaziken. They won't play the rogue decks because the rogue decks don't keep up with Blaziken all of the time. Blaziken and Swampert are the only two decks that can go 50-50 with Blaziken all the time. There will be a lot of Gardevoir, but I think Blaziken will make another strong showing and come out on top. A few red face paint decks might wiggle their way in to top sixteen or top eight, but I see either Blaziken or Swampert winning the entire thing. Good luck to all though, no matter what you play.

Amphy and Kingdra really can't keep up anymore. Kingdra t3 is a little slow for a monster that can't do that much damage, and Amphy does 40-70 a turn? That's not enough to keep those decks alive, folks. Right now, Amphy and Kingdra are roguer than rogue. They had their 15 minutes of fame, and now it's over. Deservedly so: they couldn't keep up, so they got left in the dust.

You want to use an ex protector in your Kingdra deck? Just play Wobbuffet. =/

SuperWooper said:
I'm still trying to figure out how the deck beats anything besides Blaziken and Gardy.
Wait, it beats Garde? The deck that is discovered to beat Blaze and Garde is the deck that will win.
And yes, Wobbuffet is the only thing that makes a good deal of sense w/out taking too much room in Kingdra.

Thanks for the feeback, guys. I was just trying to be original and the deck is only a semi-competitive deck. I thought I can take advantage of the newly released pokemon, especially water, in HL. What else can I play if I don't want to play bar or gardy?

Abosolution, I'll try out the jirachi/dunsparce combo instead of the 2 wally's training.

Last edited:
SuperWooper>
I am playing Walrein/Milotic and that deck is most effective against Blaziken decks. It actually doesn't do anything special against Gardy decks, if Gardevoir EX is out it can be really hard, you really want to try and win before that happens. (in a match like that it depends on the draws and the players) Crobat decks also can be devastating to that deck, I just put in Regice EX to counter that though.

I think Amphy decks could be really good, especially now that ATM [rock] is out. If you could make a really fast Amphy deck it would be very competitive, everytime they attach an energy it does damage to them and Amphy only needs 3 energies to attack for either 70 or 30 and paralyzed, then ATM [rock] when possible.

Thank ATMR will work with kingdra? Afterall kingdra ex can do 90 damage max or if you're lucky 140 due to retaliate, and water arrow.

Machamp usually comes with ancient tomb. With or without AT, machamp can OHKO wob if your opponent has an ex in play (70+strength charm, 70+10 self damage on wob, or simply cross chop). Strength charm is not uncommon in machamp decks so another machamp can ko ampharos ex with 2 energy.

I know Machamp can KO Wob.I know it could also Oh Ko Amphy.But in this case Amphy is not out.It is Wob.Machamp might have tooken damagefrom being Machop or Machoke so Wob finishes the job.This way you don't have to bring out Amphy and also to be on safe side you could leeve it Flaffy until you need it or if you have another Stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back