Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Why is Spiritomb Good?

It's very nice in slower, Stage 2 decks. You really want it as a starter.

1. It creates a Trainer Lock. Yep, it can hurt you as well, but you plan for that by running adequate Supporters/Pokemon lines. Most importantly, your opponent cannot use their Rare Candies, SP Trainers, Stadiums, Lux Ball etc . . . all of which means that their deck slows down, so they lose at least some of their speed advantage.

2. Meanwhile you use Darkness Grace to evolve your benched Pokemon, while they have to search out their evolution lines and evolve manually.

3. If they KO Spiritomb, that activates Upper Energy.

4. With a Special Dark, it will do 20 damage!!!shiftone1! It can do 40-50 to a Gengar!

Allow me to give my favorite example of why Spiritomb is one awesome card:

I have a crap hand of basics, energies, tech cards like Night Maintenance, etc. But, I DO have one of my four Roseanne's or Call Energies. Call for Baltoy and Spiritomb, and now I have a T2 Claydol; Roseanne for those two, retreat my active, and I now have a T1 Claydol, and am that much closer to being set up.

Spiritomb prevents trainer based donks (i.e. Rare Candy Kingdra/Machamp/etc.) and slows the SP rush (most notably no Radar/Power Spray temporarily, &c.)
Very, very good card, for consistency.

That being said, Spiritomb is good because it is a basic that for no energy can evolve your pokemon while simultaneously slowing down your opponent. Rose for a baltoy and a spiritomb (remember you can play trainers so long as spiritomb is not active) play your trainers, retreat to spiritomb, evolve your baltoy using Spiritomb's attack for ZERO energy. Remember that your opponent can't play trainers while you have already used most of yours, and it is you that gets to chose when to retreat spiritomb.
Generally speaking, it is okay to let your spiritomb die, abuse that attack as long as possible!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's very nice in slower, Stage 2 decks. You really want it as a starter.

1. It creates a Trainer Lock. Yep, it can hurt you as well, but you plan for that by running adequate Supporters/Pokemon lines. Most importantly, your opponent cannot use their Rare Candies, SP Trainers, Stadiums, Lux Ball etc . . . all of which means that their deck slows down, so they lose at least some of their speed advantage.

2. Meanwhile you use Darkness Grace to evolve your benched Pokemon, while they have to search out their evolution lines and evolve manually.

3. If they KO Spiritomb, that activates Upper Energy.

4. With a Special Dark, it will do 20 damage!!!shiftone1! It can do 40-50 to a Gengar!

OP, read this because it will answer your question. Also of note, Spiritomb does not stop Supporters/Stadiums.

Spiritomb has a godly Body, shutting off all Trainers. In combination with, say, a Meslock, this can completely shut down your opponent in the early game while allowing you to build up a Claydol and other evolutions on the bench through Spiritomb’s attack. “Starters” (not talking about Charmander here) have been off the competitive radar for awhile, but Spiritomb may change that.

Extra evolution by itself wouldn't be enough. Look at MD Phione. But Spiritomb's Poke-Body slows down the SP decks that would be sniping/ko'ing that stage 1 on the bench the next turn and gives some of your pokemon a chance to survive for another turn.

Extra evolution by itself wouldn't be enough. Look at MD Phione. But Spiritomb's Poke-Body slows down the SP decks that would be sniping/ko'ing that stage 1 on the bench the next turn and gives some of your pokemon a chance to survive for another turn.

Well Prime its worth noting that Phone also had an 1 energy cost attack.

Well then how about, "Extra evolution by itself wouldn't be enough. Look at Technical Machine TS-1."

Also you cannot play TM-TS1 on your first turn if you go first. Phione and Spiritomb you can.

Well its good that you can evolve your pokemon and your oppent cant play trainer cards but i would perfer farfectched from strom front with it really helps setting up and does it well.

You could also argue that TS-1 requires an extra space in your deck and isn't searchable.

It takes the same amount of space as Spiritomb if you run the same number of them... And I was just making the point that even a 0 energy evolve attack is not enough to warrant deck space.

It takes the same amount of space as Spiritomb if you run the same number of them... And I was just making the point that even a 0 energy evolve attack is not enough to warrant deck space.

dur, keiru.
Non-searchability does suck though.

Regardless, the trainer lock is the real reason to use Spiritomb above anything else, so...

I agree. 75% of the reason why I am using spiritomb is it's poke-body. Extra evolution doesn't mean squat if the opponent is sniping your evolved stage 1 on the bench turn 2.

dur, keiru.

:confused:

Regardless, the trainer lock is the real reason to use Spiritomb above anything else, so...

Not sure if this is supposed to be an argument against me or not, but if it is, that's the point I was trying to make. I was pointing out that Spiritomb is not playable simply because it evolves for no energy, implying that there was something more which made it playable. This something more, of course, is its body.

because the tcg version of AoA spiritomb is the neglected son of the the star trek movie -style blackhole-esque ubermon that also created arceus. unfortunately, spiritomb wuz not strong enough to survive being crush into a singularity and also be called satan by a swarm of angry american literalists hwo think its poke-satanism.

But on a cereal note, spiritomb is good becaus eof its baility to slow down and majorly dirupt you opponent while you set up at a normal, almost faster, rate. I have tested it a lot, and it is definately good enough for the randomness above to me true. its good because it has both the body and the attack, no body = bad, noattack = mediocre at best

its good because it has both the body and the attack, no body = bad, noattack = mediocre at best

Most definetly, I'd say without the free evolution attack spiritomb is only at a 7/10 (lol the body is THAT good seeing as the rest of the card is pretty meh). Coupled with the attack, Spiritomb gets a solid 9.5/10 in today's fast-paced metagame. If 'tomb had just 10 more hp, did like 20 more dmg with his other attack, or had free retreat, he would be at like 11/10, lol.

Most definetly, I'd say without the free evolution attack spiritomb is only at a 7/10 (lol the body is THAT good seeing as the rest of the card is pretty meh). Coupled with the attack, Spiritomb gets a solid 9.5/10 in today's fast-paced metagame. If 'tomb had just 10 more hp, did like 20 more dmg with his other attack, or had free retreat, he would be at like 11/10, lol.

Yeah Spiritomb's low HP is easily the most disappointing part of the card. 10 or 20 more HP and this card would be ridiculous.

Back