Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Why PK is an unsuitable set for sealed

Ice'Cold

So I had been reading reports of people who, during the first week of prereleases reported getting a lot of the same commons in their packs. While this isn't really anyting new (there is always the possibility that you can get regulars and reverse foils) I didn't realise how bad it was until I went to a prerelease. My packs ended up looking something like
5x wynaut (non foil mind you, these were all identical commons, I even one pack with two copies in it which should never happen)
4x Snorunt
3x Cacnea
3x Pikachu

This left my deck at somewhat of an inbalance seeing as how I didn't have the evolutions for any of these pokemon. None of these cards were reverse foil, and they were all regular commons. I thought it was possible that I got a freak pull but I started asking around, I wasn't the only one who got such an absurb combination of cards from the packs. I've played a lot of sealed over the years, and I've seen crazy combinations come out of packs. Sometimes what you pull might even look like a constructed deck (after the multiple pack add-ins at the professor cup last year I ended up with a mini roselia/wobbuffet deck with a 2-1 Arcanine ex line and 2 react energy) Its also fairly common to see 3 of the same common card come out of your 6 packs, sometimes even four with the reverse holo's. Point is that it usaully only happens to one card still giving you a fairly mixed pool of cards. I think its obvious that someone did a little wrong math when fixing the distribution of cards in packs (hey, remember the Holon Phantoms Prereleases and the European Professor Cup?) Who knows, maybe someone forgot to carry the four or something like that, but I certianly hope that they either a) Fix this problem for future printings or b) I really hope that we won't see this set being drafted at origins (and certainly not at the professor cup). Don't take this as me complaining or anything (because even though I didn't win the few extra packs I still had a really good day at the prerelease) but I'm just pointing out that there is something obviously skewed with the distribution of this set. That is all.

~Vernola

Last edited:
lol my pulls were great
2 ex's
evolutions for almost all of my pokes
this didnt seem to be a problem at my PRE

GOOD prerelease pulls are really funny when they happen though - my friend Adam pulled 3-2 dewgong, 2-2 slowbro, 3-1 wartortle, and an articuno ex at FRLG.

IMHO, it seemed like there was no middle area. You either pulled utter *$%$# or you pulled some good lines. I saw it all day at the Pre-Release I went to. Thankfully though, many of those that pulled the $*$(# also pulled an ex.

IMHO, it seemed like there was no middle area. You either pulled utter *$%$# or you pulled some good lines. I saw it all day at the Pre-Release I went to. Thankfully though, many of those that pulled the $*$(# also pulled an ex.

Agreed, I managed to pull out 4 usable evolution lines, some "draw" Pokemon cards, and some deck thinning trainers during the first PK Prerelease I went (and I managed to go 3-0 and won 1st, but no ex in any of my packs).. While I managed to pull nothing that is really usable in the second one a week later, but in "return" I pulled a Shiftry ex :rolleyes:

Last edited:
i pulled 2 ex's but it was a pretty bad prerelease becaause i got some pretty odd combinations of pokemon lines

I pulled a 1-2-1 flygon ex line and 2 Sableyes a 3-1-1 Omasatar line a 1-1 Cacturne line I went 5-0

Then in the side event I pulled a 1-3-1 Blaziken line and 3-1 Ninetails line

I wound up with one of every stadium, two delcatty, and maybe about 8 basics I could actually use, with ONE evolution line. I didn't get a single skitty, either, which made me choked.

Back