Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

why speed stadium now

revdjweb

<presented in my best carnival barker voice impersonation>

tired of trying to get unown g attached to your claydol before gengar or dusknoir KO them on the bench? tired of getting dark palmed again and again because that same claydol is taking up valuable room? tired of a well timed psychic bind mespirit stalling your draw at a critical juncture of the game? tired of giving up double and triple KOs because you have nothing to counter dusknoir lvl x-as-stadium?

well my friend, speed stadium just may have the solution to everything that ails you. the common wisdom has been that speed stadium is a poor play because it helps your opponent just as much as it helps you. i say given the peculiar details of the current metagame that isn't quite true. in addition to helping you with all the things mentioned above speed stadium is of little assistance to opponents running claydol (if they get very far over six cards in hand). of course it is notoriously flippy (but so is rayquaza and conductive quarry people don't hesitate to play them) so i would not recommend it as your only source of draw power. speed stadium is a great second stadium to run if there is another one useful to you. not only can you try to use it twice to your opponents one time (before you chase it away yourself), if both your stadiums wind up discarded it gives you a foolproof choice with marley's request (yes i would run ONE marley's in a deck like this).

there are many decks right now that need a stadium but do not especially benefit from any of the other choices (kingdra, scizor/cherrim, gengar being just three). especially scizor/cherrim where pokepowers are anathema.

so that's my pitch. give speed stadium a second look and see if it might be right for you.

Yeah...overall, it's just a neutral counter stadium for decks that can't get anything good. Usually, giving your opponent the ability to draw extra cards is bad, but it's better than, say, suffering damage from Dusky Lv X each turn.

For Scizor/Cherrim, they do have Dawn Stadium as an option though over Speed Stadium.

Maybe this is just my luck, but I ALWAYS, ALWAYS flip tails the first flip for this stadium whenever I try to run it. I have no problem abusing my opponent's for 3+ cards, though.

I would argue that Dawn Stadium is better in Scizor as others have mentioned, but yeah, Speed Stadium is an OK choice for other decks that need a counter-stadium but can't really benifit from one of the few other Stadiums in format. I've actually put it in one of my decks recently ... but I still don't really like it. Like other's have said, it beats getting 10 damage done every turn, but it just helps your opponent too much.

I played against a deck that ran Speed Stadium this weekend. It actually helped my Claydol quite a bit. One round I flipped 6 heads! But then i got 0 and 1 the next couple turns. Regardless I always had plenty of cards to use, and plenty of extra cards to Cosmic Power to the bottom of my deck.

Back