Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Will emboar still be good when catcher comes out?

mew730

My dad and I have recently been discussing how successful will emboar be when catcher comes out i feel that emboar will be dead because you can use catcher to bring up the emboar and knock it out.

My dad says thats why he will play multiple switches and energy retrievals....

I think so. I'm not going to say since I don't have much experience with Emboar, but I don't see any problem with a card that can so easily combo with pretty much almost any other deck to not be helpful.

I think your question is incomplete to a certain extent, you would be better suited asking if a certain combination with Emboar will be dead. I feel Emboar will still be used with Reshiram and an alternative to Typhlosion, but with anything else probably not. It will be nearly impossible to have a Stage 2 paired with anything besides a basic or Stage 1 at the most. Also you will be running something like a 4-2-4 line instead of the thinner lines you see today.
Posted with Mobile style...

Well just think that the format will become more speed oriented. This also means that decks that are slower will be less prevalent. This also means that one shotting Emboars will not be easy for fast paced decks. Perhaps Emboar will become MORE playable now?

It will have to do with a different type of playing when it comes to Emboar now, you'll need to stack Energies on him faster then before, and possibly run extra Candies if your not already running 4, then stuff like switch can be more needed in the build. Also I can see Seeker being more heavily used for certain decks.

Yeah. Emboar will be fine. He is ability related so it will be fine. The big attackers will be the one to fall.

I think in my perspective it will be what decks will Catcher bring out? Can Emboar fight them? I don't think that it will be a giant problem, but it depends if switch or something will be handy. Cause (besides water) if there is Pokemon who can dish out 150 besides Magnezone then there wont really be a issue.

No.

It's super easy to ko tepigs before they evolve with catcher and they can just bring up emboar and ko it. ( even if they don't do 150 they just need to bring it up twice which is easy with 4 catcher 4 junk arm )
The problem with emboar based decks is that if they kill emboar the decks just dies

At the end of the day, it is a good card, regardless of ANYTHING else. Some cards, like Magnezone Prime or Gengar SF, are good regardless. Gengar didn't need trainer lock to make it good, it just helped. Machamp SF didn't need SP to make it good, they just made it better. That's kind of the thinking I have with it. Either way you go, it is amazing....but, it WILL be affected pretty bad when catcher comes out. I think you will really see 2 types of decks that become prominent: those that run catcher, and those that lock catcher....both of which hurt Emboar. So, it will be a good card either way, but it will definitely lose strength.

^ But the internet lied... : )... just kidding
anyway emboar will have a downfall when catcher comes out because it's just going to be a little red apple with a high retreat cost just asking to be eaten over 2 turns or so.

Yeah, 137 people played Emboar Magnezone and there were like 2 in top 32. I reckon these were the people whose opponents flipped all tails on reversals.

No.

It's super easy to ko tepigs before they evolve with catcher and they can just bring up emboar and ko it. ( even if they don't do 150 they just need to bring it up twice which is easy with 4 catcher 4 junk arm )
The problem with emboar based decks is that if they kill emboar the decks just dies

A lot of theory, and I'm willing to bet there's little to no practice behind your claim.

Apparently you think that you will be the only person running 4 Catcher + Junk Arm and the poor helpless Emboar player won't be able to run switch or somehow recover 4 energy for a retreat.

People forget where there's an Emboar, there's a Reshiram... and Reshiram takes a dump on any stage 1 or basic pkmn not named Zekrom or Donphan.

As much as it "hurts" Emboar, the release of Catcher empowers Reshiram with the ability to OHKO almost anything in the format by T3 without getting a return KO, even without energy accelerartion.

The release of Catcher means Emboar players will simply have to run 4 Tepigs and perhaps a 3rd Emboar 20 along with a few additional switches. It's really not that far of a stretch... and with the popularity of Pokemon Reversal in the current format, I already run 4 of any primary basic evolution lines that I use. (Tepigs and Yanmas specifically)

Last edited:
Back