Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Will We Get a Ruling on Skill Hack - Mudslide Before Regionals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fchangus2

The following has been posted to Ask the Masters.

Skill Hack Copy Mudslide

As I recalled, PokePop said that they are still working on the ruling.

Will this be resolved by the time US Regionals start on April 14th? I think there's a good likelyhood that it may come into play.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I don't understand what is so difficult about it
IF you HAVE Fighting (1 or 2) attached to Shiftry you have to discard them, If you don't have them you can still do the attack (with Skill Hack) but without the discard.

As long there is no "otherwise this attack does nothing" on the Steelix card, it works this way when using Skill Hack.

Examples for mudslide
Skill Hack with only 1 darkness nrg attached --> 100 damage to any of the opponent pokemon (110 for active)
Skill Hack with only 1 multi attached --> 100 damage after discarding 1 multi
Skill Hack with 1 rainbow attached --> 100 damage after discarding 1 rainbow
Skill Hack with 1 darkness and 1 rainbow ---> 100 damage after discarding 1 rainbow. (110 for active)
Skill Hack with 1 darkness and 1 multi ---> 100 damager NO discard (110 for active)
Skill Hack with some 2 nrg providing Holon nrg pokemon attached ---> 100 damage + discard of the Holon pokemon

Last edited:
It's still being discussed and we don't have a meeting this week due to conflicts.
Go with existing rulings for now.

well, I had read in previous posts that the ruling specifically on Mudslide is still being discussed, thus I post the question. Pokepop answered the question for me, so for now, go with the current ruling, said and done.

I feel the following, I think that the "or this attack does nothing" has been left off a lot of cards lately. My thoughts why it is more of an unwritten statement known by players but not actually printed on the card. I just feel that cards use to say this, but now dont. I feel that this should be fixed in someway. I personally feel that you wouldnt be able to do it imo.

However I dont make rules nor try to make rules by myself on what I think it should do. (Well Except For Blissey Ex at Worlds 05) :wink:

Drew

Last edited:
Whilst I agree with Drew that there is reason to be cautious over the in order to attacks: Jungle Clefable's Metronome had far reaching consequences and gave rise to the rather ugly discard or does nothing. I don't think that that is the particular problem with Mudslide.

Mudslide's English text states to discard FF and choose a Pokémon. You then do 100 damage to the chosen Pokémon. So the difficulty would be that if you don't discard FF do you get to choose?

[Delta Species Staryu would be similarly affected as it too uses the template 'Discard <something> and <do xxxxx> .' But thats probably it for modified as every other card now has the Discard effect as a simple sentence]

A confused Shiftry EX attacks with Skill Hack....... argh bring back Ditto, he was much easier. Making all those discard effects into costs will have far reaching consequences.

I believe that this is the current position that we should base our rullings on at tournaments http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30856 . Yes?

I would think even if some members of the rule team cant get together this week, that a ruling should be discussed for it thru the memebers that are. I mean it really is a big deal. It can affect or not affect what ppl will play for states and who wins,
JMO tho,
Drew

Drew and others: There has been a ruling. It seems like you and others dont agree with it. IF the rulings team can come up with an answer before saturday, great. But, there are some who are traveling on friday also. They may already have their deck built with the ruling to date. 'Pop already stated that he thought mudslide would go thru w/ shiftry w/o a discard. If the team or PCL says otherwise, we will hear about it in due time.

Keith

Discarding FF energy from Steelix ex is not a conditional requirement; It is an effect of the attack.
Who knows? Maybe you want those energy in your discard pile.

I checked on pokepedia just to be sure. Nowhere does the card state "you must discard FF from Steelix ex to perform this attack".

I hope if there's any trouble/rulings headaches, it does get resolved, because my new DC-10 format has the concept of conditional requirements as its basis.

I don't understand what is so difficult about it
IF you HAVE Fighting (1 or 2) attached to Shiftry you have to discard them, If you don't have them you can still do the attack (with Skill Hack) but without the discard.
Always remember the "do as much as you can" principle. Other TCGs have this rule too.
If a card tells you to draw 7 cards, and you can only draw 5- do as much as you can.:thumb:

As long there is no "otherwise this attack does nothing" on the Steelix card, it works this way when using Skill Hack.
Yes, it is easy to understand.

Drew and others: There has been a ruling. It seems like you and others dont agree with it. IF the rulings team can come up with an answer before saturday, great. But, there are some who are traveling on friday also. They may already have their deck built with the ruling to date. 'Pop already stated that he thought mudslide would go thru w/ shiftry w/o a discard. If the team or PCL says otherwise, we will hear about it in due time.

Keith

Um, no they didnt. I dont see where you see where they made a ruling, right now it is a "ruling" that isnt official. It is just the ruling that they came up without actually discussing it. I also never said I didnt agree with it. I just said I would think it would be a certian way. It really doesnt matter to me all that much. I just wanted a correct ruling more than have a ruling that may or may not be correct.

Just think about Mantine for Cities and that ruling.
Drew

What makes it harder is the ruling from PCL that if Milotic uses Sharing to use the effect of an opponent's supporter card, you still have to "pay the cost" of the card as if it were actually being played, rather than just using the effect of it. Why the supporter rule is not included but the discard for Holon's Supporters is, I'll never know. But right now things are really inconsistent, so you never know how Skill Hack could get changed. Personally, I think it's right as it is, if you have the energy, discard it, if you don't, you don't have to. But then again, I think that you should be able to use Steven's Advice via Milotic's Sharing even if you have 7 or more cards, since you're not actually playing the card, and it's been ruled that that's not true.

yeah but i guess that my confusion question will have to wait... too bad cause i depend on confusion....

Play the card as written until told otherwise. Simple answer. Some Pokemons like Blaziken have the 'if you do' clause, and some have the 'or else this attack does nothing' clause, some others don't and Steelix doesn't so I would take advantage of this until told otherwise, and if I recall correctly the UF JPN set spoilers didn't make any mention of it either.

^ But Blaze has been corrected in the PK version (it was errata earlier). You have to discard to do bench damage, no IF to it.

Keith

97.jpg

i think u need at least 2 energy which is fighting (Multi,rainbow,casty also) to do the atk. Coz the cards say: u MUST still do anything else required for the atk, and mudslide wants u to discard 2 fighting, no discard, no damage.

Anyway, just dont keep steelix ex in ur hand and u'll be fine:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back