Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Win one and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P_A

Details are sketchy as to what this means, but here's a quote:

Mike Liesik said:
Residency is not required for States or Regionals, though they will be "win one and done" this year, as will Gyms.

Apparently for North American Nationals residency will be required. Meaning that if you are a resident of the US, you can't enter the Mexican Nationals or vice versa

States (provincials), Regionals and Gyms will be open to residents of all countries, except when you win one, you are not eligible for another.

At this time, people are wondering if that means that winners can't enter the other tournaments of the same type (ie gym winners to other gyms), or other types as well (ie states winners to gyms and regionals) or that they can enter, but just have to drop if they make it to the top cut. This also makes me wonder if those who do win certain tournaments can drop their invitation to enter other tournaments (ie someone willing to "drop" their win in favor of being able to play in another tournament of the same type).

So if I win Regionals, I wont play in GYMS? If that's the case then I don't like it at all. I wanted to win Cities, States, Regionals and GC.

No, I didn't say that. I said people are wondering if that's the case. We have to wait to get more details.

It sounds like to me that it means if you win one Gym you can't win another. Not if you win a State you can't play in a Regionl or Gym tournament. Phil is correct though, I'm sure PUI will explain what this means when they are ready to release this new tournament year info.

Venusaur said:
I'm wondering the reasoning behind this, if it's like a spread the wealth thing or what.

One and done :
I believe it means win one TYPE of tournament (Gym, Regional, or State/Provincial) and you are done for that TYPE of tournament. So win one Gym and you can't win another Gym (I suspect done means you also can't enter "Done"). Same applies to a State/Provicial or Regional.
I think they are saying that the tournament is really being held for the people in that area. I like the idea since it keeps the tournaments from being dominated by the same group of people traveling around to all the tournaments, which from their perspective makes the game more attractive to new players.

:pokeball:

GymLeaderPhil said:
This is confidential information that should have stayed where it was until POP was ready to release it... =/

Ah, perhaps you are right Phil, I guess I did jump the gun on this one. For that I apologise. If I had it to do over again, I suppose I would have waited to post it, but since it's been out for half a day, I would suspect locking and deleting this topic would do no good at this point. I didn't post it to give my opinion to the masses whether or not it was a good or bad idea, I was just assuming it was news. If the admins decide to delete this topic or keep it open, is entirely up to them. I will abide by either decision.

Metagross, in Europe the LD's are the boss not PUI/POP.
Whatever a LD wants is law, even if it's not in the best interest of the players.
POP employees have to follow the company policy "not to let LD's fail".
Therefor they are not even able to interfere.

This includes, NOT following POP playingrules, NOT following POP sanctioning guidelines, NOT following the suggested pricesupport, NOT keeping personal information PRIVATE, EXCLUDING players and spectators of POP events, closed or open events and last but not least the final word if a suspension is granted.

Some LD's are following the US model, others are abusing the program and their power in a disgusting way.

Last edited:
Rainbowgym, I see that you are angry at your LD, but I asked for a simple answer. Im getting a little bit bored of you and your talk about what LDs are doing wrong. I agree with that, and I see why you are doing it, but please, we really dont need to read the same in all threads concerning even remotely OP.

And about One and Done. I do NOT agree with that. You are good? You deserve to win! Only those who are not good enough ague with current system. Seriously, this menas exluding players from tournies, do you really want that? I would even go as far, as making a rule, that Invitation is NOT passed down. If you cant win it, you dont deserve to be at Worlds. Simple enough. This is never going to happen, though and I guess nothing will change PUIs call at this but maybe next season this rule will go.

Ditto what metagross said about one and done. Even from a marketing standpoint I don't see how this is good. I understand about not being able to be in multiple gym challenges, since nothing is on the line, but if you're good enough to win 6x state championships, or 4x regionals, I think you should go ahead and win them.

But I wonder what counts as winning a regional. Does 2nd place at a regional count as your one and done or no?

Last edited:
Metagross - I'm getting tired that international players still don't understand they are not have to expect the same OP as North American players. This has nothing to do with my relation with any LD.

I just answered your question and even explained why your question is needless, there are no equal rules.

Another thing, does this apply to North America only or will European CC and SC be one and done as well?

IF this one and done ruling is going to be implented, than I can only conclude it's because there were a lot of "community" complains about last years events.

BTW Metagross I'm curieus if you are pro of against closed Nationals.

Last edited:
metagross said:
Another thing, does this apply to North America only or will European CC and SC be one and done as well?
CC...lol...no...it's not even gonna happen in North America. There is no need for Win one and your done in those!

SCs as well...why would they do that? There was just ONE international event this year in Europe. So why?

I like one and done really well. In the past, a group of people would go to tournaments and the ones that had already won a trip or a state or a city or whatever would bump people out and then just give the game to their friend if they faced them. That is pretty much gone now. If you've won a state or regional or gym, you can't go to another state, regional or gym (you know what I mean), and bump people out to help your friend.

Also, it now stops people from winning 2-3 states or gyms. I don't mind this at all, but I guess PUI wanted each winner to be a different person.

I'm sure after someone wins a state, regional, or gym, they probably won't go to anymore if they can't play in it, but I don't think it will hurt sales that much. And TO's can hold side tournaments for them to keep them busy if they want to.

Hmmm, hmm hmm hmm.
I'd still want to participate, just not be allowed to get into top cut.

I do to events with my friends, and I'd like the practice, so I don't see a problem with allowing winners of the events to enter other events of the same type for swiss rounds and not being eligible for top cuts.

One done and gone, will only make sense if there are enough "same named" tournaments in a certain area.
It's depending on the situation I think, if you can be pro or against.

Lets say that Regionals wont give invites to Worlds, only Gyms will. Also lets presume that Top 2 from Gyms will get invites to Worlds. Now, would you rather be first and lose opportunity to play in other gyms or be second and be allowed to play in more gyms? I know I would choose the second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back