Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Winning Midvale, UT BR report.

Lugia EX

I was up until about 2:00 AM the night before perfecting my Dialga G deck. I wanted to
play a 2-2 Banette line as I did in 2 previous BRs to counter Mewtwo LV X and because I
figured Toxitank would be useless half the time. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to
fit that and the required Bebe's in along with the Volkners, the SP trainers, and the
Stadiums I wanted to play, so I went with a 2-2 Toxitank line with 3 Volkner's, 2 Miasma,
and 2 Galactic HQ. The Miasmas seemed good in theory to damage their Baltoy and
then snipe with Honchkrow, but they ended up hurting me way more than helping.

Round 1: Christopher B. AMU/Palkia LV X

He got an Uxie start and I couldn't Deafen until about turn 2. I don't remember a lot
of what happened except that his Restructure made things interesting, I misplayed
by not letting poison take out his 80 damage Mesprit LV X, and that it went to time
and I won.

1-0

Round 2: Blake M. Beedrill/Shaymin LV X

I'm able to start the Deafen Lock quickly with a Miasma and a Skuntank. He gets
Beedrills up eventually and then Shaymin LV X. About midway into the game, he has
trouble getting a Grass energy to attack with. I remember at one point, I leveled up
my Dialga to kill a Beedrill with 110 on it. It went to time, prizes tied, him with all 4
Beedrills, and me with a full health Dialga G LV X with a special Metal. The special Metal
saved me as Band Attack only did 110 and I could Remove Lost for the prize.

2-0

Round 3: Andrew M. Gengar/Nidoqueen/Cresselia LV X

I get a Fan Rotom start ;/. I'm able to get set up eventually, but by then he has multiple
Gengars, the Cresselia LV X, and Nidoqueen out. He gets heads on a Fainting Spell at
some point. I almost took it to time, but he was able to win it.

2-1

Round 4: Josh S. Gardevoir LV X/Gallade/AMU

I'm able to get a Dialga G Lv X up against his power locking Garedvoir and tank with my
Psychic resistance. I forgot about Azelf's Upper Material once when I Turned my LV X. He
sends up the other Gardevoir a couple of times and I eventually kill it with Toxitank. I also
remember him sending up a Mesprit with the Evoluter TM once. It went to time, and I
believe I used Toxitank to win.

3-1

Round 5: Cat S. Butterfree/Cherrim/Shaymin LV X

As soon as I saw her Cherubi start, I thought she was playing Scizor/Cherrim. I was wrong as
she started playing Caterpies. I was able to get a Galactic HQ out, but she was able to use
both Powers to get a Butterfree out thereby bypassing my HQ. Her Claydol took 2, but that
was promptly removed by a Parralel drain. I misplayed by sending up Honchkrow to Target
Attack Claydol thinking it would do 40, when it only did 20. I got my LV X up with another Dialga
benched. I was able to run through her with repeated Remove Losts and Poke Turns.

4-1, 3rd seed in top 4

Top 4: Empoleon/Absol/Crobat G/Dusknoir DP/Pachirisu

Game 1:
Forgot most of what happened, but I made a huge misplay late game by not Power Spraying
his Dusknoir when he Warp Pointed my LV X. I lost this one.

Game 2:
I Crobat/Honchkrow comboed something early game, but since my Honchrow had a Gain
attached, it got OHKOed by Pachirisu. Forgot most of this game too, Baleful Wind from
Absol was annoying, but I won.

Game 3:
Time was called very early in the game, don't remember what I took the prize with.

Top 2: Andrew M. Gengar/Nidoqueen/Cresselia LV X

Game 1:
We both get setup this time, and I learn that Maternal Comfort and Poison both happen
at the same time, and that he can choose which one happens first. So I was unable to
bypass that Fainting Spell and am eventually reduced to attacking with my Skuntank.
I scoop to save time.

Game 2:
He gets an Unown G start. I get a fairly bad one but am able to set up before him. He gets
tails on a Fainting Spell and I take the win.

Game 3:
I start with a Toxicroak, he starts with Gastly and Cresselia. Time is called early in this game
too. He uses Trick Gas and switched with Cresselia. I unfortunately don't have Skuntank, so
I attach a Gain and Deep Poison Cresselia for 40. He retreats, evolves to Haunter and uses
Hoodwink to put Toxicroak at 80. He had tried to get the LV X but couldn't. I promptly Cyrus
for what I need to set up a Honchkrow with a Gain to Target Attack Cresselia for the prize, and
the win.

Props:
Many close matches, 3 swiss rounds went to time, one almost did, and time was called very
early in both my game 3s in top 4.
A Level X in my 8 packs of RR.
Winning despite misplays and the fact that I still don't know what a lot of cards from MT-SF do.

Slops:
The Level X in my packs was Snorlax.
The Fan Rotom start in round 3.

Matt!

Congrats on your return to the game. Sounds like your list was a little bit of a mishmash, but you made the most of it. Good on you.

Back