Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Woodbridge/Rockville Cities 12/01-12/02

Ascension

I went to Woodbridge on Saturday, and barely made registration. Go Javier! I was going with Kounting Krows which is my league leader's (Tim) deck. Here is the report:

Woodbridge
Kounting Krows
HP-On

Round 1- Honchkrow/Skunktank

Almost mirror match. Well, he gets set up faster and takes two prizes to my one. Then, we call for a ruling on whether I shuffle my deck or not when I have no cards in my hand when he uses Dark Wing Flaps. I shuffle and off a TGW win, I draw Honchkrow Lv. X, three PlusPower, and some other cards which is the critical play in this match. From then on, I take 5 prizes in a row for the game.
1-0

Lunch Break: Me and Tanner go to Dairy Queen.

Round 2- Gardevoir/Gallade

I was worried about this deck. I had a chance to win and if my Honchkrow Lv. X hadn't been prized, that would have game, but he goes on to win it. Interesting play by me was after his Scott for three BF and plays one. My turn: I windstorm and then TGW for a cool play.
1-1

Round 3- Empoleon/Lucario

He gets no evolutions and I go 6-0 in prizes against his Piplups and Riolus.
2-1

Round 4- Honchkrow/Shiftry/Shiftry ex

He gets to Shiftry ex off two Quick Balls and beats me. But it was a close one. Good game, Seth!

Not my best showing, but I was happy to be able to participate. Once again, go Javier!

Sunday:

Rockville
Kounting Krows
HP-On

Round 1- Nobody

I get a bye.
1-0

Lunch Break: Me and Tanner go to Wendy's, going 4 for 4 in crossing the street and not dying.

Round 2- Banette/Blissey

Melody hadn't done anything Pokemon related since Nats so I got the win with my Honchkrow Lv. X and a key snipe on a Shuppet closed the deal.
2-0

Round 3- Honchkrow/Absol/Aimpobom(sp?)

My twin. Seriously, we looked exactly the same and everybody commented on it. I won after winning 6/7 Team Galactic's Wager :biggrin:. GO RPS SKILLS!!!
3-0

Only 3-0 so I go to T2. This I thought was unfair. Wolfe and Melody got the exact same percentage for each and went 2-1, but Wolfe went on because he lost to me in the 3rd round instead of the 2nd so I think that is unfair.

T2- Same as round 3

Game 1: He sets up fast and I got no Honchkrow out.

Game 2: I set up fast and take out his Murkrow and win the game.

Game 3: He has down 2-1 in prizes and had to K.O. two pokes or my Mightyena ex so I win Cities!

I get 1st, 18 packs, a binder, two pencils, a book, and a medal.

Booster Draft-

I decided to stay for a Booster Draft of SW.

Deck-

Pokemon- (13)
3 Phanpy
3 Donphan
2 Shellos West Sea
2 Gastrodon West Sea
1 Stantler
2 Corsola

Trainers- (12)
1 PlusPower
1 Roseanne's Research
2 Switch
2 Professor Rowan
2 Bebe's Search
2 Professor Oak's Visit
2 Switch

Energy- (15)
13 Fighting Energy
2 Water Energy

Round 1

I win with my Donphan doing 70 per turn.
1-0

Round 1- Kevin

Kevin, the head judge, was my next opponent. It was tied at 1-1 and he had a chance for the win. He evolves Electrivire from Electabuzz. Attaches a second energy, uses Motor Drive, and needs to do three heads to win. Discards all three...heads...heads..........tails! And I win.
2-0

Round 3- Tanner

His grass pokemon and Breloom beat me.
2-1

I take second and three more packs.

So in all, 27 packs. Not bad.

Props

Javier
Winning
Honchkrow
Tim

Slops

None!

T2- Same as round 3

Game 1: He sets up fast and I got no Honchkrow out.

Game 2: I set up fast and take out his Murkrow and win the game.

Game 3: He has down 2-1 in prizes and had to K.O. two pokes or my Mightyena ex so I win Cities!

How did you reduce such a crazy match to only a few sentences?! GJ.

Lunch Break: Me and Tanner go to Wendy's, going 4 for 4 in crossing the street and not dying.

We thought you guys had gotten lost when you started walking away from Dream Wizards after lunch break. ;/

You're the guy who sat next to Tanner during his T4 match, right? I was his opponent. You and your twin brother do look really, really similar.

Nice showing on the weekend.

we call for a ruling on whether I shuffle my deck or not when I have no cards in my hand when he uses Dark Wing Flaps. I shuffle ...
I would have ruled no shuffle. Hum...

That brings back memories *nods*

Only 3-0 so I go to T2. This I thought was unfair. Wolfe and Melody got the exact same percentage for each and went 2-1, but Wolfe went on because he lost to me in the 3rd round instead of the 2nd so I think that is unfair.
He lost to you in the 3rd round instead of 2nd or his first loss was in round 3 instead of round 2?

I get 1st, 18 packs, a binder, two pencils, a book, and a medal.
*applauds*

How did you reduce such a crazy match to only a few sentences?! GJ.
It's called a memory lapse. Trust me, I know :lol:

The booster draft wasn't sanctioned (not that it really matters)?

Wolfe went 2-1 and Melody went 2-1 and they both lost to me, but since Wolfe lost to me in the third round instead of the second in which Melody lost, he went to T2.

Tim is right. Memory lapse.... Wait... What was I talking about?

BTW, Tim, I can't play in Hobby Works because of a soccer game so I can be there for like two rounds and I don't want to mess with people's resistances so maybe I could help the judges? Not judging, but helping.

Spencer, we were going to go to the light from Wendy's to cross, but decided to cross in the middle.

I would have ruled no shuffle. Hum...

Yeah, after a real close read of the card I think we made the wrong call there. It's tough--w/ copycat you definitely DO shuffle and draw zero cards if that's what your opponent has. But in this case, you are choosing a card and shuffling it in. If Pt 1 of the effect can't happen, then Pt 2 can't either.

I'll take the blame for the bad call.

Yeah, after a real close read of the card I think we made the wrong call there. It's tough--w/ copycat you definitely DO shuffle and draw zero cards if that's what your opponent has. But in this case, you are choosing a card and shuffling it in. If Pt 1 of the effect can't happen, then Pt 2 can't either.

I'll take the blame for the bad call.

Don't worry! Team Galactic's Wager after that call got me a winning hand which won the game so I will take it.

Professor Elm said:
Shuffle your hand into your deck. Then, draw 7 cards. You can't play any more Trainers this turn.

This ruling differs from the "pt 2 can't happen if pt 1 can't happen" logic because it was ruled that for for cards like Professor Elm (Copycat), the hand is a field. Even if you have 0 cards in your hand, the hand still exists (as a field). Because of that, you shuffle the deck because you are shuffling the hand field into your deck and not the 0 cards. That is why you shuffle for Copycat with a 0 card hand. In your example, totoro, Copycat is copying the hand field which currently has 0 cards in it ; it is not copying 0 cards. Essentially, you are copying the hand, not the contents of the hand. For Dark Wing Flaps vs no hand, I'd say you don't shuffle because you are not shuffling a field into the deck. No field is created when you attempt to pick a card from a hand of 0 cards. It's kind of like when the first card you flip with Fast Ball is an evolution.

Ascension, while very conscientious of you, you play in the tournament no matter how many resistances you think you'll mess up.

Wolfe went 2-1 and Melody went 2-1 and they both lost to me, but since Wolfe lost to me in the third round instead of the second in which Melody lost, he went to T2.
That's the first loss tiebreaker. It's not that you beat Melody before you beat Wolfe, it is because Melody lost a round sooner than Wolfe did.

Don't worry! Team Galactic's Wager after that call got me a winning hand which won the game so I will take it.
There's something a judge never wants to hear. Although, theoretically, all cards in the deck are in a state of flux until known. There is also a chance the TGW that you drew may have actually been your top card before the shuffle. So, you cannot attribute it to judging error.

Last edited:
I would play in the tournament if I were you.

As for our road crossing skills, next time we'll stand on the skinny part of the sidewalk and wait for two trucks to pass at the same time, that way we'll find out how talented we really are.

I would play in the tournament if I were you.

As for our road crossing skills, next time we'll stand on the skinny part of the sidewalk and wait for two trucks to pass at the same time, that way we'll find out how talented we really are.

I might play. Yes, when two 18-wheelers are coming across that bridge and there are cones on the sidewalk so we have to walk close to the road and two trains go under us at the same time, and a plane come crashing down us, then we would have skills and talent.:eek:

Back