Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Worlds Report (with Dark Sloking)

ChicoBlanco

Here is the deck I ran for worlds 15+:
(I thought there'd be more Medicham lol)

(Pokemon: 12)
4 Slopoke(3 ConfusionWave, 1 Amnesia)
4 Dark Sloking
4 Jirachi (DX)

(Trainers: 34)
4 Professor Birch
3 Oak's Research
3 Copycat
4 Rocket's Pokeball
4 EXP All
4 Crystal Shard
4 Strength Charm
4 Swoop!
4 Pokemon Retriever

(Energy: 14)
10 Psychic
4 Darkness

Well, I didn't really expect to go to Worlds this year.
My friend Matt(11-14) and I (15+) both got 2nd last year in Gym, Matt lost to Josh R. (a great player from our league) in 11-14 and I lost to Paul (another great player from our league) on my 3rd game in 15+.

I'm from Colorado Springs and Gym is just about the only option I had this year, as I didn't make it to nationals.
Matt told me he had the feeling that we were both gonna make it to worlds this year.
I just laughed and passed it off as hopeful thinking. I was wrong.

Gym challenge came around and Matt decided to Run his FourCorners variant
(Both Brelooms/Magcargo/Lanturn)
I didn't really have much to choose from (the best choice being Slaking)
But Steve P and his son Mike wanted me to win gym (Mike won the Gym right before this one)
So they let me borrow their Medicham/Muk power stopping deck. (Don't laugh. This was before the Jirachi Epiphony)
Every game was hair raising close as 5 out of 6 of the decks I played againstwere Psychic. But I ended up winning 1st beating a Rock-Lock deck in the end.
Matt ended up in his final match against Alex H. who was using Slaking. On their 3rd match, I thought Matt was done for as 3 Chinchou were prized, and he had no way of killing Pidgeot. But he somehow pulled out of it and ended up getting 1st.

So we both got our plane trips to San Diego Ca. I was stoked, I finally got to see the ocean again.
(I was born in LA suburb Arcadia not very far from San Diego:rolleyes:)
Matt jokingly suggests that we drop worlds and go to the ocean. "Yeah," I laugh "Maybe even go surf with the beach bums)

So Friday afternoon I arrive at San Diego and go look for the Colorado players. I finally find them in the convention center. (Steve P, Mike, Josh R, Ryan, Alex H. and Matt)

Matt & I decide to play in a Modified Construction side tournament. (Single Elimination :eek:)
We both run our favorate "fun decks" Matthew's being FourCorners(now with Grumpig)
and mine being Slaking.

Matt ends up almost whooping a Medicham deck, but the dude gets alotta ER2 heads and Matt has an energy shortage so he loses.

I end up playing against a Wierd T2 Altaria/Altaria ex/Swoop!/SurpriseTimeMachine deck that gets everything T2 while I don't have anything and finally pull a Pidgeot by like turn 10 and I Admin him for 2 and End up winning with Slaking/Meteor falls combo.

The next two people I play are both German players with LudiCargo/Lanturn decks.
I end up (with difficulty I might add) beating the first one (he was only 11) and I then I play the other one (who was about 18) In the end, all his Ludi's are gone, and I have only 1 Slaking left with all 4 Boost in my discard pile.
He hits me for 40 with a Magcargo+Double Rainbow, I pass with a Meteor Falls in my hand about to win the next turn, but then he Admins and we both draw one. He hits me for another 40 and it looks like I'm hopeless, but then I topdeck Scott and grab the Meteor Falls for the win. I'm such a lucky butt sometimes.
:clap:
So I end up getting 1st (the Medicham player dropped early on..... whew! :biggrin: lol)
And I get like 6 boosters or something. I keep the Birch from the packs and then give everything else to the German players commenting on how they are skilled opponents.

So on day 2 (Saturday)the actual Tournament starts.
Matthew is about to go face his 11-14'ers and says: "We have to smash all our american players and get whooped by the Japanese. But we ain't goin down without a fight."
I laugh and agree with him.

So round one starts and I am paired against a girl from Switzerland. We shuffle our decks for like 10 minutes and then it turns out that the judges have to re-pair.
Dosen't matter, we repair and I end up playing her anyway lol.

Round 1: Vrs Cherin(sry I forgot your last name) from Switzerland (Gardy/Gorbyss/DusclopsEX)

She goes first and attaches to a Clampearl and passes. I attach NRG to Jirachi and grab a Swoop!
Then she evolves to Gorbyss and hits me for like 40. I get turn2 Sloking and start doing 80.
She ends up getting a Gardevoir out, but she has an energy shortage most of the Game so she has to psy shadow. I get a few more prizes. She evolves to 'ClopsEX and does 20 to my Dark Sloking. I retreat my 60 damaged Sloking for my benched Sloking and KO Dusclops due to weakness (his power only works while benched) She tries to attach ATM Rock to Ralts, and I try to explain to her that you can only attach it to evolved pokemon. She dosen't really understand what I'm saying, so I tell her that Ralts has to be a Kirlia in order to use it. She understands and hits Sloking for 10 sleep with Ralts. I flip heads and Ko Ralts for the win.

1-0

We play another game for fun. This time she gets like 3 prizes but my weakness advantage is just to unfair.
I shake hands with her and then I get ready for my next pairing.

Round 2: Vrs Hideki Sano from Japan (Machamp/Pidgeot deck)

He goes first and starts with Pidgey. He corners my Jirachi. I use Wishing Star and don't get much. I attach an NRG to Jirachi and pass. I flip heads on sleep. He attaches another NRG to Pidgey and lays down a Machop. He hits Jirachi for 20 with Gust. I lay down another Jirachi. And use Wishing Star and get like a Rocket Ball.
I attach to bench Jirachi. He attaches to Machop, evolves to Machoke, Rare Candies to Pidgeot, and Ko's active Jirachi with Clutch. (I still don't have a Sloking lol) So I send up Jirachi use Wishing Star for a Darkness Energy. I lay down another Jirachi and attach Darkness to it. I pass. He retreats Pidgeot, brings up Machoke, evolves to Machamp, and attaches boost for a 60 to my active Jirachi. I bring up my next one. I use Wishing Star and get a Swoop!, I Swoop!+Rocket Ball, attach Psychic and evolve to Dark Sloking. (Yes! Finally a Sloking lol)
I use Cunning and he calls over a Judge to ask what it does. The Judge explains to him what Cunning does and then he tells me "I explain to him what PokemonPower Cunning does."
I nodd my head.
I discard a tool to OHKO Machamp because of Darkness.
He ends up getting out Ancient Tomb. And we just go back and forth with Machamp vrs. Dark Sloking,
Surprisingly, I catch up despite his early prizes on Jirachi. And in the end I waste my hand down to a single Copycat and Copycat for 11 straight. I ko a pokemon. It's his 1 Prize left vrs my 2.
All he has left is a Machamp with 1 energy & 80 damage on it and an unpowered Pidgeot(that I can OHKO with Darkness+StrengthCharm+2 Tools) vrs my Dark Sloking and a Slopoke on the bench (that's about to evolve next turn) I feel like I am about to win but then he Retreats for his Damaged Machamp. (I'm thinking "Okay that's kinda weird" lol) he Quick Searches, plays Warp Point for my lone Slopoke, attaches his last Boost Energy to Pidgeot and plays Strength Charm for a Ko on Slopoke.
Nooo! lol. GG Hideki!

1-1

Round 3 Vrs William Kemp from Maine (Ninetales/Wobbuffet/I think Dewgong?/ Desert Ruins total Anti-EX deck)

I end up going first and get a Killer hand. I lay down both Slopokes.
I confusion wave his Vulpix. He attaches and tries to Ascension. It works and he grabs Safeguard Ninetales.
It's now my turn and I evolve both Slopokes to Dark Slokings attach energy No2 to active Sloking and use Birch for 5. I discard 2 tools and KO Vulpix.
Same thing happened for like 5 turns. He uses Ascension, I discard 2 tools and so on.
It wasn't that good of a game.

2-1

Well I was 2-1 and I asked Steve P how he was doing. He said he was 2-1 also.
And just like many 2-1's we had to play each other....

Round 4: Vrs Steve P. (Colorado) (ZRE with Elektrike/Manectric EX and Electrode EX/HL Electrode)

We are both from the same league and it was a bummer that we had to play each other.
But that's alright 'cuz I was happy with either one of us winning.

I go first and Steve thinks that it'll be an auto-win on my part since we're both running T2.
But I start with Jirachi and Wishing Star, and I don't get any energy till about the 5th turn.
By the time I finally have a Sloking he has A Zappy on the bench ready to fight and a HL Electrode Active.
He starts hitting my Sloking with swift 30 from his Electrode HL. I retreat for the other Sloking attach Exp All to the bench one. He ends up just picking them off with Electrode EX and I bring up the last Sloking, and knowing that it's game, I attach Darkness Strength Charm and Discard 2 tools for my first 2 prizes on TrodeEX. He proptly brings up Zappy and Ko's me.

2-2

Round 5: Vrs Somebody (sry I forgot your name) with (HariyamaEX deck)

I go first and confuse his Jirachi with Slopoke. He passes since he can't wishing star. I attach to bench Slopoke and pass. He Swoops! for Makuhita evolves and StrengthCharms Slopoke for a KO, discarding a Card from my hand. I bring up next Slopoke and Lay one more on the bench & EXP All it. I attach to active one & confuse him. He attaches energy and Strength Charm to Haryama. He complains how attaching the Strength Charm was a bad move. I don't see how it could be that bad, and I let him take it back anyway. He says "No it's too late" and leaves it on. He flips for confusion and gets heads and does 50 w/Charm and Ko's 'Poke.
I bring up Slopoke topdeck a tool, evolve to Sloking and Ko his only Hariyama for the Win.

I shake hands with him and apologize for the bad matchup.
He says "Ah, it's fine, my deck beats Rock-Lock so there's gotta be something that beats me"
He wishes me luck for top 32.

3-2

Round 6: Vrs Chris McGiven from England (Seviper(DR) deck)

I start off with another Killer hand.
He goes first and attaches to his lone seviper. He passes 'cuz my Jirachi has Grass Resistance. (It actually came in handy lol) I go and Wishing Star. I attach Psychic to Jirachi. And pass. I flip tails. He attaches another to Seviper and passes again cuz resistance. I flip heads for Sleep. I wishing star for StrengthCharm, play Swoop!, evolve to Sloking, attach Darkness. Attach Strength Charm, discard 2 tools, and hit the Poor Little Seviper for 200 damage! Second Turn!

He just laughs and says: "Those Dark Slokings tear me apart!"
I go report my win. I believe I was the first one to win within that time limit. (It was about 50 seconds lol)

I didn't get to see much more of his deck. He only started with a lone Seviper.
I'm curious as to what it was, My guess is an Anti-Medicham with Seviper+Desert Ruins or something.

4-2

Anyway, I go over and introduce myself to my next opponent.

Round 6: Vrs Gordon Coates from Canada (SpinningTail RockLock)

All I remember in this game is that he got his entire Rock-Lock setup including 2 Spinning Tails, before I got a single Dark Sloking. I ended up somehow Ko'ing one SpinningTail Tytar with the Help of Crystal Shard, and then he beat me.

4-3

Round 8: Vrs Alex Wooten(HotCarl) from San Diego (Another SpinningTail RockLock)

Well I remember this game I actually took down like 1 or 2 Spinning Tails and got about 3 Prizes but he ended up stomping me anyway.

4-4

So yeah, I ended up going 4-4 and Worlds was awesome. I was actually kinda glad that I didn't make it to the finals, 'cause I got to go see the Ocean and swim in it and stuff. (It was kinda freaky, I thought I stepped on a shark out there, but it turns out it was this weird piece of seaweed lol)

Matt ended up going 3-5 'cause he played a bunch of decks with Resistance, but he was happy 'cause he beat the Norweigien Champion & I beat the National Champion from England.

It was awesome that a Nidoqueen deck won! It was a cool surprise.
But I'd have to say one of the best parts of worlds was watching Yamato whoop everyone in the YamatoMarathon (although I didn't stay too long to watch it)
Yeah, now I know why everyone in the Top 4 ran more reliable decks. With Dark Sloking, either you really Whoop or you get totally Whooped. lol. But who cares? It was a blast being able to play with the top players from around the world.

Anyway:

Props:

All the variety of decks at worlds (compared to last year it was mainly Magma Gardy and Blaze)

Jeremy Pablo and Ross in the top 4 (for being good sports)

Yamato for whooping everyone with his excellent playing abilities.

The Japanese for playing skillfully. (with honor and respect like most of us should do)

Matt for beating the Norweigen Champion.

Me for doing 200 damage to the England National Champion 2nd turn lol (I know I'm lucky)

The Tourny for being held in San Diego.
Cali. Woohoo. :cool:

Steve for letting me borrow Medicham at Gym, and for making top 32.

The Beach Bums at Coronato bay. (The surfers, and the ones that were kite boarding) :cool:

And all the other Colorado Players: (Steve P, Mike, Alex, Josh, Ryan, Matt, Jared.) Sorry Jared. 4-1 in Grinder lol. Stupid Grinder.

Slops:

To cocky players.

To the Grinder for not accepting most 4-1's.

For me not being able to go to In & Out Burger (Matt did tho)

Food being expensive in San Deigo (I mean come on 3 bucks for a Pretzel? lol)

Hope to see you all next year! :clap:
-Ian B.

Last edited:
Yeah, Rock-Lock has a big advantage over Dark Slowking. Resistance, High HP, and the low HP of everything in Dark Slowking. Good game though. Too bad I placed 33rd afterwards. -_-

CardRaider & Pokemonmaster2006:
Thanks for the replies. :cool: :smile:

Hot_Carl: dude that sux man. 33rd place. I had a friend who got 34th last year, cuza tie-breaker.
Yeah, GG btw. hopefully c ya next year.

Last edited:
Back