Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Worlds should be east west US yearly

pokedad1

to make it fair it is simple ...

US is the biggest player base and also between Japan and Europe. If worlds were west coast one year and east coast the other, it would perfectly help all players get there and keep costs down.

Perfect east coast locations are either Orlando or Wildwood NJ or even Atlantic city NJ.

That way Europe players have it easier every other year to get to the east coast and Japan to the west coast.

Hoo boy, here we go again. I'm going to take a wild guess and say you and your son are closer to the east coast. And that it being on the east coast would help you attend grinders.

Japan makes the card game, so we do what is convenient for Japan. They like us using the west coast, so that's what we get. They tried East Coast worlds, and didn't like it much apparently. So we get what they DID like; namely, SoCal and Hawaii.

Is the US a bigger player base than Japan?

Would be interesting to know.

Personally, I don't mind where they hold Worlds as long as it is a nice place to visit.

I'm guessing that 'affordable for people who want to go to the LCQ' isn't a very high priotity when picking the location.

I think we stopped using Florida because there was some sort of problem with the venue; they wanted to kick everybody out a day early or something. But maybe I'm just mixed up.

I think we stopped using Florida because there was some sort of problem with the venue; they wanted to kick everybody out a day early or something. But maybe I'm just mixed up.

I heard it was weather-related. I don't suppose we'll ever know the full truth. Upshot is that the Japanese don't want it in Florida.

I think the LCQ is mostly intended for the Japanese players. Anyone who is bitter about not qualifying from US or Europe should count themselves lucky that they don't have to go through what the Japanese do (basically win one of 5 huge gruelling tournaments in one of 2 age divisions).

Another reason I think of why Florida is no more is hurricanes. In 2008 I was stuck there since flights got cancelled for almost a week after worlds and missed important school days because of it, along with the cost.

Actually, I'd be super excited if Worlds was in Asia sometime. Getting a visa for Japan is really painful, but worlds in Incheon/Seoul would pretty amazing.

---------- Post added 07/09/2012 at 01:26 PM ----------

Wow, I'm guessing pokedad must live pretty close to Wildwood.

Not exactly the glamour location for Pokemon's yearly showpiece.

What are you talking about, baby_mario?! Wildwood, NJ is the place to be!

http://www.wildwoodsnj.com/wildwood-attractions.cfm
Fun For Everyone on a Sunny Island by the Sea

There’s something for everyone in the Wildwoods. Miniature golf courses offer an opportunity to enjoy some friendly family competition; splash your way to cool refreshment with three fun-filled beachfront water parks; enjoy some “scream therapy” aboard one of six world-class roller coasters; take the kids fishing or crabbing; enjoy a boat trip - slow and relaxing or monster fast - plus festivals, special events and beachside entertainment options.

In The Wildwoods, you’ll find amusements of just about every kind. Thrill rides, family rides, kiddie rides, games, golf, water sports … there is always something to do, always a dozen ways to have fun, indoors and out.

It's soooo good! :lol:

OP, don't be surprised if somebody figures out who you are. You've given us enough info to do so. Either way, you might as well be honest about your motive. Do you live on the far east coast or no?

I vote Houston. :biggrin:

Wildwood, NJ
  • Voted one of the best beaches in New Jersey!
  • Home of Morey's Piers and Beachfront Waterparks! This water and adventure theme park is famous for drawing impressive crowds year after year. Families love to return and enjoy the family-oriented cabanas, waterslides and snack bars.
  • Go parasailing on thrilling rides overlooking the beautiful southern shore of New Jersey.
  • Wildwood Convention Center, located on the world famous Wildwoods Boardwalk directly overlooking the beach and ocean, is a unique, state-of-the-art, 260,000-square-foot facility that offers one of the most spacious, flexible, innovative and inviting venues available!

Houston, TX

• Perenially one of the most polluted cities in the U.S, the Houston-Baytown-Huntsville region ranked number 7 in ozone pollution on the American Lung Association’s Worst Polluted Cities list. Eww!
  • Lots of traffic, and it's almost impossible to get from place to place without a car.
  • Overbearing heat and lots of smog. No wonder it's one of the most polluted cities in the U.S.
  • All sorts of violent crime (robbery, assault, etc.) at least twice as high as the U.S. national rate. Houston is one of the most dangerous metropolises in America.

Clearly, Wildwood, NJ is the place to be! :lol:

Last edited:
If I open my Worlds binder and find out that next year's location is anywhere but Wildwood NJ, I'm going to be very sad indeed.

wildwood NJ has a convention center that would be perfect for worlds.

It also has plenty of hotels reasonably priced and has plenty to do.

OP, don't be surprised if somebody figures out who you are. You've given us enough info to do so. Either way, you might as well be honest about your motive. Do you live on the far east coast or no?

Like me? :cool:

Don't get me wrong, East Coast would be AMAZING as far as I'm concerned. I could drive to Worlds from here.

Why it won't happen?

• Same reason it'll probably never be in Orlando again-Hurricanes are known to go anywhere up the Eastern Seaboard.
  • The LCQ is aimed at Japanese Players. This is clear. World's needs to be accessible to Japanese players.
  • We already get Nats.
Now, I'm going digging on some Japanese blogs to see if I can find attendance numbers for some of these Spring Carnivals, but I have to think the Japanese community is bigger than ours. From what I hear there are leagues and tournaments every day. I find it hard to believe they could be smaller than us in playerbase and support that many events.

There are plenty of fantastic venues around the world to host an event like the Pokemon World Championships. There's a few things to keep in mind...

-The event ALWAYS takes place at a Hilton.
-As mentioned before, it's too far for the Japanese to fly to Florida. The grinder is really for them as they have fewer oppotunities to earn a Worlds invite.
-In 2008 when Worlds was in Florida, it was hurricane season and had the event run 1 day longer many players would've been stranded as all flights were cancelled. When organizing an event as large as Pokemon Worlds, this is easily avoidable.
-Pokemon USA runs worlds, thats why its always in the US

Don't forget we don't actually pay to play in these tournaments ranging from Battle Road to Nationals. Pokemon is subsidizing whatever costs are required to run these tournaments and sponsoring trips and scholarships for players from around the world. Think about it, theyre flying out 5+ players (Junior + guardian, Senior + guardian, Master) from EACH country in Europe to Hawaii. That is practically $10000-$15000 per country handed out to someone that shows up and plays a game.

If your concern is finding a way for your child to play in Worlds there's only 2 choices. Earn a ranking invite or make a deep deep run at Nationals. The venues won't be changing (It's flip-flopped from San Diego to Kona, Hawaii every year since Florida) so do not rely on grinders moving to a more convenient location.

Hoo boy, here we go again.

Yep

Is the US a bigger player base than Japan?

I brought this up in the other thread where the OP made the claim that US has the biggest player base and therefore we deserve to have the grinder in the usa. But really we do not know how many players Japan has.

While I haven't seen data on Europe, I wouldn't be surprised if the collective player base of Europe rivals the player base of USA

Wow, I'm guessing pokedad must live pretty close to Wildwood.

Not exactly the glamour location for Pokemon's yearly showpiece.

41st Junior in CP rankings right now is from New Jersey.

to make it fair it is simple ...

US is the biggest player base and also between Japan and Europe. If worlds were west coast one year and east coast the other, it would perfectly help all players get there and keep costs down.

Perfect east coast locations are either Orlando or Wildwood NJ or even Atlantic city NJ.

That way Europe players have it easier every other year to get to the east coast and Japan to the west coast.

The world is round, not flat, right?
Japan is between Europe and the United States, is it not?
Europe is between Japan and the United States, is it not?

I know many of my American countrymen may call this blasphemous, but why not rotate worlds through Japan, The United States and Europe!! Think about it, there are alot of players from Japan/Europe and other countries who have to pay out of pocket to attend worlds. Is it really fair that we, Americans, can pay under $1500 to get 3 or 4 people to San Diego every other year for worlds while other players from other countries have to pay so much more, and commit an extra day or two for travailing, every year to attend worlds in the United States. How about we bare a financial burden for a change or just not go to worlds, just so we can feel how players from other countries feel every year.

It is not like it is traveling to Europe or Japan is harder for us to do then for Europeans and Japanese to travel here.

http://www.distancefromto.net/
The geographic center of the United States is 4912 miles away from the geographic center of Europe.
The geographic center of the Europe is 5322 miles away from the geographic center of Japan.
The geographic center of the United States is 6315 miles away from the geographic center of Japan.

pokedad1, in your "Why not have grinders in the US?" thread you expressed anger/disappointment that your son did not earn an invite per P!P standards and you made suggestions on how the standards should be different. You are a parent who cares for your child, you can be angry/disappointed at times, most of us understand this. However, this thread and what you are suggesting is backed by solely Selfish Motives. What is really bad is you are practically suggesting that you want worlds right in your backyard. That is assuming that your son is the Junior in 41st place from New Jersey.

This thread will get you little sympathy/support. Please start to see reason on why things are they way they are and drop your issues.

wildwood NJ has a convention center that would be perfect for worlds.

It also has plenty of hotels reasonably priced and has plenty to do.

So does alot of other cities in the World.

1. NJ isn't even CLOSE to Japan.
2. It can be anywhere in Texas not just Houston, I just said Houston because it is a very common place in Teaxas for tournaments.
3. Texas is more centered for the US. NJ is not.

NJ sounds like a great place for a vacation, just not Worlds.....

Back