Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Worst regional report EVA!

TSDMage

Seriously TERRIBLE weekend that included my friends and I getting locked out of our cabin and having to sleep in the car, getting lost on the way back and a horrendous record. But it's so entertaining I thought I'd share it.

I was playing a Gardy/Gallade list I felt comfortable with and KNEW could beat Dialga. Here's how it went.

Round 1: Dialga/Palkia

Check this... my opening hand is: Sneasel, Special Dark X 3, Rare Candy X 2 and Night Maintenance... and my opening draw is Moonlight Stadium. I won the game 6-0, LOL! My opponent drew one energy the entire game. I eventually set up a gardy and Psychic Lock for a prize 5 turns in a row. I KNEW there would be repercussions for winning such a ridiculous game.

1-0

Round 2: Chris Wood with Dialga

A good player. I had played against him last year when I was running Arithmetic and was fortunate enough to play well enough to get up early and win. I lose this game but it's a confidence booster. He gets the absolute perfect start and setup while I start with nothing, but I manage a Gallade setup and climb back into the game. But I needed 5 more minutes than I had to tie the game. Oh, well... at least I know the matchup is winnable.

1-1

Round 3: Dialga/Honchcrow

Worst match of my career. The guy was a nice guy, but, and not to insult him, but he was a little mentally challenged; either that or just devoid of social skills. Anyway, he got a good start and I got a bad one. I really can't understand how I lost this game. It goes to show you how stupid Dialga his. He literally misplayed every play of every turn and still won simply because he ALWAYS had an Energy Gain or Poketurn to save him from every misplay. Every time he could have sniped something for knockout he hit something useless. He could have sniped my Claydol turn 3 and I probably would have scooped but he NEVER killed it. Down 4 prizes I was able to speed up my play, set up a Gardy and Gallade and tie at 2-2, but another Dialga and Poketurn to save him did me in. I lose an absolute heartbreaker and I never recovered after that.

1-2

Round 4: Mewtwo/Mismagious (DP1)

My bad luck continues. I didn't miss an energy but didn't get a Gardy out until my opponent had manually attached an energy 11 turns. UNBELIEVABLE. Another scrub-out. And once you go down 2 prizes to a Mewtwo Lv. X and your opponent has loaded attackers on his bench, it's pretty much over. Another unlucky loss to a deck that's nothing special... oh, well.

1-3

Round 5: Vince Blasko with Leafeon/Flareon

A bad matchup against one of my friends who came with us on the trip. I could possibly win but I know he's a far superior player than myself. He opens first with Eevee setup and on T2 plays BTS and Level Max's the X. I automatically realize I've lost, it's just too quick a setup for me to counter. He rubs in the fact I have bad luck by stating "Wow, I haven't gotten a T2 setup before, how appropriate I do it against Ragan (me)!" I now have no chance of at least finishing with a + record. Yay.

1-4

Round 6: Gengar/Machamp

The guy's deck looked solid, I was surprised to see him so far down the ladder. But I found out during the game it was most likely due to a lack of play experience. His Machamp took down a few things but I set up a Gallade and got rid of it. Gengar couldn't take it down. I was forced to kill it and with nothing much on his bench, the game is pretty much on a coin flip. He flips tails and I smooth-sail from there.

2-4

Round 3: Cliff Edwards with Dialga

Great. Matched up against car buddy on my trip; one of my best friends. He hasn't played Pokemon much at ALL, only 2 tournaments since the beginning of LAST SEASON. Somehow though, I feel I will lose. Slow start for both of us but I get a Gallade up and running and take the lead. It looks good but every time I gain the lead from here, he drops a Dialga X and an Energy Gain. He proceeds to drive me crazy by dropping every Power Spray and Energy Gain in the deck in consecutive turns to rob me of my Claydol/Uxie. It's almost like the game was set up to screw me. Then he drop Crobat and uses ALL FOUR Poketurns on it then 1-shots my Gardy X. After that my only chance to take the last prize is the 1 Warp Point remaining in my deck, and I realize that it's prized. Another game where luck seems to dictate everything.

2-5

Yay. 2-5 with a great deck, scrubbed out numerous times (including the worst loss of my career which spans 5 years) on top of a nightmare weekend. I'm so unlucky that I've considered just playing simple decks like Kingdra and Champ because with anything else I get nothing but bad starts and whatnot. Oh, well. Pokemon just isn't my game , I suppose.

But at least I give you all a dose of hilarious comedy! :thumb:

Back