Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

WotC vs PUI's running of the Pokemon TCG

Status
Not open for further replies.
a full box of product for last place at *what* tourney? the professor tourney in '02, or the final FAT, where wotc was clearing out everything Pokémon they had left?

charging for league is up to the hosting store; my league, and most others that i know of charge _nothing_ to participate. that was the same under wotc: it was the store's decision if there was a charge and how much it was. league players still earn free cards, via the POP packs, and badges, and player rewards 4x/year.

wotc certainly didn't do that...nor did they run nearly the amount of OP, or even any prereleases...for this game. and WotC didn't have anywhere near the kind of judge support at ANY level of OP as POP has now...

POP's OP > WotC's OP for this game, hands-down IMO.

'mom

Last edited:
I don't know about WotC days but from what I hear I prefer PUI now.

About the rating system now, the problem I have is losing points prevent people from playing at times. This is a huge prize people are after. The ones who try and play the most should be the ones with the best chance to me. I posted in another thread about I could not play sports because I had to ride the school bus. Does that mean I should say it is unfair and the school should provide me with the transportation necessary to participate?

Things that WOTC did for the game:

Prop-15
Elimination of the 15+ age group

And that's just about it.

Things that PUI has done for the game:

Reliable and predictable Organized Play for all ages
Top of the line League system
PRERELEASES!!!!!
Nationals
Worlds
Regionals
States
Cities
Battle Roads
Staff actually listening to our complaints and partially coming clean about some stuff
Scholarships
Trips
Rebuilding Pokemon into the #1 selling TCG in the United States (according to IC2v, I think was the website name)

And, guess what? They've been getting better every year. Since taking over from WOTC, we've seen Nationals go from a ~250 person event in 2004to an event with over 530 people last year, and we're expecting to max out the 696 that Origins has given us this year.

Prizes have increased every year. Of course, now that I try and justify that with evidence, the website decides to purge itself of anything more than a year old. Oh well. Trips and travel stipends to Nationals and Worlds coming out of every pore in the company. Scholarships that will pay for a year of virtually any instate college including room and board. Product like anything.

You're probably remembering the last few days of the WOTC era, when they were clearing house at GenCon in 2003. Everybody entering the Fan Appreciation Tourney got a booster box, yes. HOwever, they were trying to clear stock out before their license ran out.

In every way, shape, and form, PUI's handling of the Pokemon TCG has far outclassed anything that WOTC ever did for the game.

I think POP > wotc. By a lot. Besides, why would you be in a tourny just for the prizes? Of course everyone loves prizes (especially when it comes to winning a trip to Hawaii ;D ), but it's about having fun. Yes, that sounds cheesy but it's true. I can come in dead last at a tourny and have a blast getting to meet new players, trade cards, and play the game.

Same for being far away from tournaments. I live in the middle of nowhere trust me, I'm surrounded on all four sides by farms. Like my boyfriend says, to get there you need to drive to the edge of nowhere then go to the middle of it. I only have the opportunity to make it to some premier events, but it makes those events seem even more fun and worthwhile to me because I don't get to go a lot. Yes, my premier rating isn't that high but once again it's not about the prizes. After all, if you are a really good player then you should be able to get in the top at nats and get an invite anyway, no problem. ;)

I own a league, and everyone gets a lot of things for free. I don't charge players to join my league and everyone gets POP packs and badges and it's a blast. We have so much fun and we like to plan trips together for tournaments (six of us are going to nats, wee!). I also drive nearly 2 hours almost every Saturday to host the league. It's worth it. =)

I would love to work for POP or Pokemon USA when I graduate from collge. ;)

~Rachael

WotC era I think simply had more fun cards to play with. Personally I loved the annoying babies and the insane draw power w/o all the supporters and that annoying Slowking and Gatr.

BUT overall POP/PUI has done a much better job in the tourney scene, and they deserve some props after SO MANY complaints this year. I mean now we have free tourneys and although the prize support isn't as great, it still is pretty good. AND BOY do they know how to run and maintain tourneys.

I think POP > wotc. By a lot. Besides, why would you be in a tourny just for the prizes? Of course everyone loves prizes (especially when it comes to winning a trip to Hawaii ;D ), but it's about having fun. Yes, that sounds cheesy but it's true. I can come in dead last at a tourny and have a blast getting to meet new players, trade cards, and play the game.

Same for being far away from tournaments. I live in the middle of nowhere trust me, I'm surrounded on all four sides by farms. Like my boyfriend says, to get there you need to drive to the edge of nowhere then go to the middle of it. I only have the opportunity to make it to some premier events, but it makes those events seem even more fun and worthwhile to me because I don't get to go a lot. Yes, my premier rating isn't that high but once again it's not about the prizes. After all, if you are a really good player then you should be able to get in the top at nats and get an invite anyway, no problem. ;)

I own a league, and everyone gets a lot of things for free. I don't charge players to join my league and everyone gets POP packs and badges and it's a blast. We have so much fun and we like to plan trips together for tournaments (six of us are going to nats, wee!). I also drive nearly 2 hours almost every Saturday to host the league. It's worth it. =)

I would love to work for POP or Pokemon USA when I graduate from collge. ;)

~Rachael

I enjoyed reading your post and thank you for your efforts. I know others who do the same. This is why I really like this game. Other than the rating system this year (I think mostly because points can be lost), that I have yet to show up to a Pokemon event (league, tournament, pre-release) that hasn't had nice and friendly people that welcome with a friendly smile whoever show up. I don't know how much this was possible under WotC.

Does anyone miss WOTC? Everything seems to have gotten so much edgier since they stopped running things, and the game has lost a lot of fun, although I think the DP series might remedy this.

What is it about DP that would remedy this? DP has nothing to do with WOTC vs. Nintendo, so why bring it up at all?

Prize support, for example, seems awful. When I went to a WOTC tourney, I entered and ended up not playing-very last place-and won a full box of cards. Now at a huge event like Nationals, you still have to be pretty far up there to even win a couple of packs. I'm going to spend a ton of money coming up this year, and I might walk away with nothing. This will also surely happen to plenty of others as well.

Please tell us which tournament this was. It must have been the fan appreciation tournament.

The ratings system too seems flawed, because not everyone can go off to every tournament around them. I think each premier event should only be counted once. (Actually I'd prefer regioned tournament be open only to citizens of that area.) But that's not going to happen, so at least they could only count one tournament score for each event. It's not fair to others who can't afford it.

I think everyone is open to ideas on the rating system, but how do you compare it to the DCI? Seems pretty similar to me.

Back in my WOTC league, it cost nothing to play, and you got free cards and such every month.

Still costs nothing to play, and you get cards in POP packs.

Hmm. But what do you guys think? Were things better under WOTC? Thanks for reading anyway.

I can't post what I think about your post because I'll get banned.

Hmmm...yeah, I can think of ONE tournament I didn't even go to where WotC showed more love than Nintendo.

The fact of the matter is...WotC could afford to stiff its fan in OP: Pokemon was insanely popular!

Everyone seems to think The Supes is wrong and I agree.

I think each premier event should only be counted once. (Actually I'd prefer regioned tournament be open only to citizens of that area.) But that's not going to happen, so at least they could only count one tournament score for each event.
Could you explain? It's not really clear what you're saying here.

Prize support, for example, seems awful.
The Premiere tournaments are all free.

League is still free. And I always have an overabundance of POP packs to hand out to my members.

And I don't see where prizes are getting smaller. Professor Championships are handing out a Wii and a DS to what....top 4? That's $400 prizes each. Plus there's still huge scholarships.

True enough, prereleases aren't as fruitful as they used to be, but it seems like a turn for the better to me. You still wind up with more packs then what you paid for. And TOs are still known to divide extra packs up to the top handful of players.

League isn't free where I go.also where i go the atmosphere is really stiff. Maybe i was just lucky with my old league but it was better then

Hmm....sounds kinda fishy that your league isn't free. Does your league leader give out more than what Nintendo provides? Or does he travel far to get to your league store?

Otherwise, it sounds to me like he's making a profit from league...

wotc tried to kill the game. we're happy with the way things worked out overall.

why would they give "a box" to last place? good players get cards!

i wish pokegym had the votekick system.

Last edited:
One thign Ill give Nintendo, at least the metagame is diverse. The only thing I saw played before was a Scizor Furret Muk thing.

I can't post what I think about your post because I'll get banned.
I'm surprised nothing happened to you when you showed us a sneak peak of the Professor Cup "trophy" for this year :rolleyes: . So bad :lol:

The Supes, like others have said, WotC tried to kill the game and herd us all into MtG. Maybe you don't remember that they dissolved the 15+ division? There was no "15+ champion" at the first Worlds Championship. Also, The Gamekeeper (WotC) charged $1 each week for their leagues where I attended, so I don't know why you're saying they were free. Was your "WotC league" actually held at a WotC / The Gamekeeper store, or was it at a different store? POP has no governing power in telling people what they can or can't charge, so you can't pin that on them. Like I said, WotC's own store charged a league fee.

Is your current LL an employee of the store? Either way, stores aren't running a charity by hosting league. If you want to continue playing in the store, they need to see that some sort of money is coming in. Usually, that is from product sales, but if that's slow, the store needs a way to pay for the employees who are there watching you. Even if one of those employees isn't the LL, those are employees who need to watch the area anyway in the event of theft, injury, and other general awareness of what is going on in the store.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back