Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Would they ever........

Status
Not open for further replies.

canderson

Make fairy a card?
Like use a pink background and maybe have special energy for it?
Actually have a resistance to dragon cards and dragon cards start to have a weakness to fairy cards?

Me and a couple friends were talking about it and we doubt they would, but i just wanted everyone else's opinion about it

I was hoping they'd do that but I'm leaning towards another idea in which they get the same colour scheme as Dragons. That way they could still keep the dragon symbol as the weakness and be weak to both types.

I actually think we will see Fairy type in the TCG, simply because I don't know where else you would put them. Colorless, I guess? That just seems to make Colorless too crowded. I'd like to see a new type, but not a new energy type, just like Dragon.

I actually think we will see Fairy type in the TCG, simply because I don't know where else you would put them. Colorless, I guess? That just seems to make Colorless too crowded. I'd like to see a new type, but not a new energy type, just like Dragon.

If they did I'd want them to have their own energy, the same with Dragon. The stupid energy requirement for Dragon types is the reason most of them are barely used and the ones that are are typically used for a single attack that only needs one type of energy.

I like the dragon energy requirements, except the attacks don't justify the cost.

A dragon type attack should be more powerful than an attack that requires a single type of energy, in which that would be more powerful than a colorless pokemon attack.

Here is how I think should happen.

The most in a set should be colorless pokemon, followed by one that uses one energy type for their attack, followed by the dragon type.

As for fairy, this is what I hoping for, that it doesn't become its own type with its own energy. Same with the Dragons. I don't mind if they use the existing 8 energy for the attacks, so long as it has some other requirement that colorless or dragons don't have. It is obvious that dragons were created to be played less, and played with only one or two dragon cards per deck.

What will probably happen is that there may be a 95% chance that fairies won't get its own energy and 60% chance it won't get its own type.

The easiest solution would be to lump fairy with dragon, and give them a metal weakness, so they don't have to balance the game, but the problem is, there would be more "dragons", since fairies are now dragons, which would defeat the purpose of having less dragons than the 8 types that use their own energies.

The one thing I would like is for a way to put more representation to fire, lightning, darkness, and metal pokemon in every set, before the start adding any more types that use their own energy.

A cool gameplay mechanic I would like to see is you know how dragons have their own type, but not their own energy? Fairies could have their own energy, but not their own type.

A Fairy could be colorless, but have more powerful attacks if special fairy energy was used. The card frame would be light pink near the top, and fade to white near the bottom, like colorless pokemon. The fairy energy, would be used to power up the colorless energy cost. If a fairy is part grass part fairy, the card would be a grass card, with a bit of pink on top, and would have the designation of both grass and fairy. I think that would be a cool way to do it, without adding unwanted repetitiveness.

So, a fairy card would be characterized by the pink color only on the title bar, but the rest of the card is their respective color. The symbol denoting its type is, uh, I dunno, the leaf, fire, water, lightning, eye, fist, etc. symbol, but with a pink background. Fairy weakness wouldn't exist.

Last edited:
Maybe Dragons will have also their own energy. Blend will be rotated out soon or later...

That saying, it would make sense to add a fairy type.

Hmm, maybe they could just introduce a "Special Fairy Energy" and Pokemon like Jigglypuff remain colourless but have attacks that say something along the lines of "If this Pokemon has a Special Fairy Energy attached, this attack does 2x damage to Dragon type Pokemon".

I don't know :p.

Hmm, maybe they could just introduce a "Special Fairy Energy" and Pokemon like Jigglypuff remain colourless but have attacks that say something along the lines of "If this Pokemon has a Special Fairy Energy attached, this attack does 2x damage to Dragon type Pokemon".

I don't know :p.

yeah, that is what I was thinking the should do, but they probably won't and would take the easy route and make them pure colorless as if nothing has changed. My way has every type has a chance of being a fairy, and if they are pure fairies in the game, then in the TCG, they'd be fairy colorless cards.

The requirement for a fairy card is that they have to have a colorless symbol for their attack, so it can be something like :colorless::colorless::colorless: or :grass::colorless::colorless: or :grass::fire::colorless: but not :grass::grass::grass: or :grass::fire::fire:.

This method would bring in something new, without reiterating the old, and without lessening the existing types just so the fairies can fit in.

Just think about the delta species cards, but rather than having the second type being metal, it would be fairy.

Why do that if the could just reprint blend energy?

I think it is going to be like when dark and metal came out. at first there was only special energies. Then the basic dark and metal came out.

Also new base set means new mechanics... So what about a new type and new basic energies ?

I fully expect a Fairy type in the X and Y sets. I think the fact that a lot of old Pokemon will be reclassified as Fairy will help make it more balanced. I don't know if it will become a Baisc Energy yet, but perhaps with time like Metal and Darkness. I'm also kinda expecting Dragon to get its own Energy in X and Y as well. I feel like X and Y will introduce a fair amount of new Dragons since there is now a new counter for them that is more versatile than Ice or Dragon.

So my official prediction is Dragon and Fairy becoming new Special Energy Types, with Dragon Type cards now having Dragon Energy attack costs.

I think it is going to be like when dark and metal came out. at first there was only special energies. Then the basic dark and metal came out.

Also new base set means new mechanics... So what about a new type and new basic energies ?

So long as fairies bring something new to the game. You may not notice, but each single type with its own basic energy has its own underlying strategy. Colorless's gimmick is that it can use any energy, and Dragon's gimmick is that it has to use specific energy.

Grass heal themselves and poison others
Fire have big attacks at the cost of discarding energy, and also they burn
Water has the ability to move energy around and switch opponent's pokemon
Lightning can recycle energy and paralyze
Psychic has the most status condition attacks
Fighting has coin flip type attacks
Darkness makes opponents discard cards
Metal have damage prevention
Dragon has powerful attacks at the cost of 2 different energy (although I wish the attacks were more powerful)
Colorless can use any energy

This is according to the official Pokemon TCG rulebook that you can download from the site.

I don't want to see dragon with its own energy, because it would kill the dragon gimmick. The dragons should indeed have more powerful attack. Something that would cost :colorless::colorless::colorless: or :grass::colorless::colorless: should only cost :grass::fire: or any combination for the same effect.

Fairy should not be a new type unless it bring something totally new. Something that isn't listed as part of the other 10 types. I also wish that each type is more strict with its strategy, that is, only fighting pokemon have coin flip combo risky attacks, and only metal pokemon have damage prevention, or only grass pokemon can heal themselves. So far, what I see is the types and their corresponding strategies put in a blender, so that every type seems to have every strategy. I want the game to make people have a reason to play a certain type based on gameplay mechanics and strategy, rather than it's because the pokemon art looks cool.

I have also heard another theory from someone that Fairies should be Psychic, and Ghosts are moved to Darkness.

Rock can also become metal too, since rock is supposedly hard, and have damage prevention type of attacks, so I'd rather see a shuffle than an addition of a new type.

Update:

I just had a realization. If they did the fairy type my way, then they could also do the remaining types that never got represented in the TCG.

Take Ice for example. It's energy will power up any :water: attack, but will give bonuses to cards that say if ice energy was attached, it gets whatever benefit, or would give bonuses against certain type of pokemon than if you don't have it attached. Ice cards would have a lighter blue on it's name portion of the card, while the rest of the card remains that same water blue color.

From this idea, I changed my mind about fairies being a sub type of every type, but now would be a sub type of colorless, or maybe psychic, if ghost moves to darkness. There would be still 8 energy types, but within each type would be special energy that gives bugs, or ice types, or perhaps ground types a boost, but such energy would give :grass:, :water:, :fighting: energy respectively. You can use bug energy to power up a grass type pokemon, but it won't do you any good.

Last edited:
I cannot fathom fairy pokemon ever falling under anything besides colorless, but not all predictions can be perfect!

For now it is unclear how fairy type works in the game so any prediction how fairy may work is waste of time.

They only thing I see is that Pokémon wants to sell us the new fairy type. I can see them putting a new type on cards or at least do something about fairy type as they did for crystal pokemon for example...

Anyone think perhaps Fairy will become a new subtype of card like "Plasma"? It would keep card types down(and allow Fairys that are water EG Marill to stay water) and could add a mechanic like "Fairy" Pokemon do +30 damage to Dragon types or something to that effect. Could be a horrible idea, but I just thought id throw that out there.

Let us examine the history of the TCG.

When a new type has been added to the Pokémon video games in the past, that Type has been added to the TCG (see Darkness and Metal). Contrast this with the overall addition of "Types" to game; in the TCG's 14+ year history there were no new Types added between Neo Genesis and BW: Dragons Exalted (in those sets, but not between them) a time spanning about 11 and a half years and 46 sets, if I am counting correctly.

Adding a new Type is difficult (even picking a distinct color is a challenge), but it is an excellent way to generate interest (including renew interest from former players/collectors), and as this would tie into the release of new video games and introduction of said Type there...

tl;dr: Offhand I'd say odds are even, given the history of the franchise.

Let us examine the history of the TCG.

When a new type has been added to the Pokémon video games in the past, that Type has been added to the TCG (see Darkness and Metal). Contrast this with the overall addition of "Types" to game; in the TCG's 14+ year history there were no new Types added between Neo Genesis and BW: Dragons Exalted (in those sets, but not between them) a time spanning about 11 and a half years and 46 sets, if I am counting correctly.

Adding a new Type is difficult (even picking a distinct color is a challenge), but it is an excellent way to generate interest (including renew interest from former players/collectors), and as this would tie into the release of new video games and introduction of said Type there...

tl;dr: Offhand I'd say odds are even, given the history of the franchise.

I'd rather not see a type that has a new name and paintjob to an existing type.

My subtype idea is good, because it adds more types, without, you know, adding more types.

I think the odds of adding a fairy type is 50%, and the odds of adding a fairy energy is 5%.

Last edited:
I'd rather not see a type that has a new name and paintjob to an existing type.

My subtype idea is good, because it adds more types, without, you know, adding more types.

I think the odds of adding a fairy type is 50%, and the odds of adding a fairy energy is 5%.

Generally if you have to say your own idea is good... you probably should leave it unsaid. :wink:

Your view/suggestions aren't too far off of what I've said in the past; when I said that I thought the odds of introducing a Fairy-Type were "even", I did mean just "Pokémon". I thought it was clear in context, but re-reading it I should have been more explicity; sorry. I can see a Fairy-Type being handled similar to the Dragon-Type. I would prefer this, because I do not think it is good having more than two video-game Types compose a TCG-Type, due to the significant decrease in accurate "Type-matching" (that is, Weakness and Resistance interactions) that having more than two causes.

My main concern comes from the perception that a TCG set needs to contain Pokémon of each Type, coupled with the game designers not recognizing that their artificial world probably should skew towards a more even distribution of types instead of being "realistically" uneven. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back