Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Would You Prefer The Same Sets as Japan, and Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonphanAtoZ

Um, hat the title says. Please give a reason so this won't be locked. I want the sets to be the same as Japan's, so we know what to expect. On top of that, it would make it easier to have identical formats, and possibly cut down the amount of time it takes to translate a set into English, decide what cards will be in, etc.

In general, yes, I would prefer to have the exact same sets as the Japanese sets, and I'd prefer it if they'd release our sets closer to the same time as Japan (translating really doesn't that THAT long. Just look at how fast fan translations show up).

HOWEVER, there is one huge exception, that being Lost World, and Lost Remover. I don't want those to be in the US sets. Why? Well, they are too good. Beyond just being good, they hurt our format far too much as well (Lost Remover would make Sabelock and Dialgachomp unplayable, and would make Luxchomp even more amazing). Some would prefer them to still be released but then banned, but I'd dislike that, as banning cards is just confusing to younger players. It's better to just not have them exist here than to ban them, for simplicities sake.

Major question: Does Japan have 4 major releases per year that mirrors the way major card games are distributed here, on a regular schedule, or do they release their cards in a more variable manner?

Honestly, I'm disappointed Lost World may not be released. Gengar is not that good. I have a friend who went to Japan and played in 6 or so Battle Roads. He only faced Gengar once and beat it with Sablelock.

---------- Post added 10/21/2010 at 05:01 PM ----------

Major question: Does Japan have 4 major releases per year that mirrors the way major card games are distributed here, on a regular schedule, or do they release their cards in a more variable manner?

Well, they have half decks, etc, but honestly I would be ok with getting those here in the U.S.

Pokemon card are translated into other languages besides English y'know.

Japan gets a lot of cards in promos and mini sets. There isn't the market for that here so we would end up with different sets anyway just by including the promos and stuff.

What I'm saying is, we could get mini sets, I wouldn't mind at all. As for promos, we have plenty of options for those to be distributed, such as league.

I would estimate that a substantial majority of the consumers are completely happy and satisfied that we don't get identical sets to those of japan. This is based of the observation that pokemon cards have been #1 in terms of sales for a tcg in America for the last year or so (may need some fact checking) :psychic:

I am also one of those satisfied consumers.

On top of that, it would make it easier to have identical formats, and possibly cut down the amount of time it takes to translate a set into English, decide what cards will be in, etc.

What I'm saying is, we could get mini sets, I wouldn't mind at all. As for promos, we have plenty of options for those to be distributed, such as league.

So, you want to make it easier for Pokemon by totally changing their distribution methods and the distribution methods that their major distributors want and expect them to use?

Can't do both of these things at the same time.

It's either easy for them and they do what they do, or it's a major change in how they do things to mirror Japan.

We COULD get mini sets but would it make sense to release cards like that here? Would it be profitable enough?

We have a different tournament structure and business model from JPN.

In Korea they release a new mini set every month!
Different markets, different needs

Woah really? That sounds... weird.

Mini-sets must make it quite easy to get completed sets of everthing then?

EDIT: I think they only get 5 cards per booster. Wow that's annoying. Kinda glad they ain't doing that here!

Last edited:
maybe

well it depends if we would get the same starter decks as them Their starters are amazing compared to ours i mean Pokemon Usa had to put a pack in em just so more people would buy em

If I recall correctly, in Japan there were four gym sets (combined to two in the US) and five e-reader sets (versus three here, not counting the first few generation 3 sets). To be really honest, I don't see what the benefit would be. Besides, isn't the list of legal sets on the deck registration sheets long enough as it is? :wink:

In general, yes, I would prefer to have the exact same sets as the Japanese sets, and I'd prefer it if they'd release our sets closer to the same time as Japan (translating really doesn't that THAT long. Just look at how fast fan translations show up).

Sure it doesn't take that long to translate it.

But it does take that long to advertise the set for TV spots, online marketing, advertisements like the one on Pokegym etc, print the cards/package them/box them/seal them, and then get it shipped all over the USA and every other country has to do this for their own Pokemon TCG as well.

If I recall correctly, in Japan there were four gym sets (combined to two in the US) and five e-reader sets (versus three here, not counting the first few generation 3 sets). To be really honest, I don't see what the benefit would be. Besides, isn't the list of legal sets on the deck registration sheets long enough as it is? :wink:

the bemefiet is that wed know what would be in a set before it comes out instead of guessing also it would be possible to get a few new promo cards

I wish we did it just like Japan for the primary reason that the sets are designed as a whole. When they get broken up uninteded things happen that can have a huge impact on the metagame.

Further the way Japan packages stuff is amazing ... and would lead to both increased sales and OP if done that way here in the US. Their "theme decks" have shiny cards like level X and those are a huge draw to "random target kids", collectors, and serious players. Their packs are generally MUCH better designed in terms of avoiding spamming useless trash cards. Their paper quality is better. Overall it's superior in just about every way you can think of for every consumer. On top of all that they actually have cool toys, deck boxes, and such that would sell 10000x times better than the cruddy stuff we get here most of the time.

Frankly I don't care about standard release schedules. Japan is mostly standardized and when they break from their usual release cycle it usually isn't an issue there. Also isn't it the job of the distro folks to MEET THE CONSUEMERS DEMAND? Back in the day we didn't know how Japan did it and the international stuff got set up because it worked for the guys printing the cards. Now we know ... we live in a global information age. ... and anyone on the consumer side who really looks into this comes away thinking that the non-Japanese distro folks look terrible by comparison.

Actually Japan only had 2 Gym sets, Gym1 and Gym 2. However Gym 1 was only Brock, Misty, Surge and Erika, and Gym 2 was only Koga, Sabrina, Blaine and Giovanni, whereas over here we mixed.
Later they released the VS set(Gen 1 and 2 leaders), but Wizards chose not to release that since all the Pokemon were basic even if they were evolved and they figured that they would too overpowered and bad for the game (sound familiar anyone? =P)

The reason the e-reader sets were combined was because Wizards knew they were losing the license and tried to get as much released as they could before they lost it.

Please keep in mind I'm a new PokeDad who used to play Magic competitively...

How is there a Pokemon World Championship if each country has different cards, different sets, and different rotations of cards for Modified Constructed? That makes absolutely no sense when you consider the game play aspects of the cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back