Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Xeno's TX State Championship Report

Xeno

This year, States was finally held on my home turf, the city of Houston. I've been play testing my deck for a small while now, tweaking it till the day of the tournament. I ran a speed Zappy deck with Crystal Shards and they were extremely useful too. The day started early, with me missing my early Saturday morning cartoons. ;_; But it was well worth it, I met up with a whole bunch of familiar faces.

Pokemaster1110 has two Snorlax dolls(diff sizes) and two small Snorlax on his neckless. He was defeated by a Snorlax in the GBA tournament. Ironic and painful, neh? I didn't pay much attention to the GBA tournament other than that though.

Warning, my memory is worst then someone with holes in their brain so forgive me if I mix some things up.

Round 1 vs. Paul K playing a Flygon/Clefable ex deck
We both get an ok set up with only one basic. He starts with a Trapinch and me with a electrike. I threw Zapdos out a turn early to avoid getting my two energys knocked off the board. He did 60 to me with Flygon. Crystal Shard throws the game in my favor.
1 - 0

Round 2 vs. Robert?/Jose? E with Salamence ex/Magcargo/Walrein (Sorry, forgots your first name)
He starts with Dunsparce so my recharger was relatively sfae even though he was going first. I get Zapdos ex out as planned and reversal to knock out his Bagon. Hmm, he only had one Bagon even though the goal of the deck seemed to be about using Salamence ex. Anyways, the game went my way from theere, I knocked out some other basics and like 1 or 2 Magcargo. He did get a Salamence out to knock out my Zappy but I knocked it out Electrode ex + Crystal Shard.
2 - 0

Round 3 vs Ant playing a Dark Dragonite/Dark Electrode deck
He got a bad start and I got a good one. Mt Moon works awesome against this type of deck and I soon emerge victorious.
3 - 0

Lunch Break, Taco Bell! Yum!

Round 4 vs Susan? playing Dark T-tar/Pidgeot
I don't know if the name is right, I remember she had a cool Ninja Turtle shirt though! :thumb: I think this deck was made with ZAppy in mind. I start out fast but she doesn't. She brings out basics to stall until Dark T-Tar eats my Zappy. Nothing else I had could have stood up to Dark T-Tar and she won the match.

3 - 1

Round 5 vs Robert?/Jose? E playing Gardevoir ex/Metagross (it's the other E-person)
He starts off by knocking out my recharger with Metagross second turn, Link Blast hurts meh! It went downhill from there, I manage to get two Zappys out but his Metagross and Gardevoir ex made short work of them.
3 - 2

Round 6 vs (I forgot your name, sorry!) playing Gardevoir/Wobuffet
I started off fast this round and knock out his Ralts, he brings out a Wynaut and evolved it to Wobuffet. My Manectric takes it out.
4 - 2

The finals I played people I already played throughout the tournament already and the results were no different.

Top 16 vs Jose?/Robert? with Salamence ex/Magcargo/Walrein
Both games, I get Zappy out fast and Reversal to knock out his Bagon. He starts with Dunsparce first turn both times, I'm surprised he never Strike and Run for more than one Bagon. I won both games against his army of Walrein and Magcargo. During the second game, I had to blow an Electrode ex to power up my Manectric + Shard to knock out his Salamence ex.

Top 8 vs Susan? with Dark T-Tar/Pidgeot
She wins both games as she disrupts my starting strategy by quickly knocking out my first Pokémon. And when I do get Zappy out, Dark T-Tar eats it.

So I get 4 packs for top 8. Congrats to everyone else that won. It was Tracy C, Patriarch, and someone in 10- that I don't know. Sorry, I'm usually hanging out with the 15+ people and most of the 11-14 people I already know from around my area.

PROs:
- I get to see everyone from out of Houston again!
- Great tournament, I must give a hand to ALL the judges!
- I got a Mudkip doll from a friend! ^_^

CONs:
- My bad memory for not remembering people's name and not being able to remember everything that happend!

Xeno said:
This year, States was finally held on my home turf, the city of Houston. I've been play testing my deck for a small while now, tweaking it till the day of the tournament. I ran a speed Zappy deck with Crystal Shards and they were extremely useful too. The day started early, with me missing my early Saturday morning cartoons. ;_; But it was well worth it, I met up with a whole bunch of familiar faces.

Pokemaster1110 has two Snorlax dolls(diff sizes) and two small Snorlax on his neckless. He was defeated by a Snorlax in the GBA tournament. Ironic and painful, neh? I didn't pay much attention to the GBA tournament other than that though.

Warning, my memory is worst then someone with holes in their brain so forgive me if I mix some things up.

Round 1 vs. Paul K playing a Flygon/Clefable ex deck
We both get an ok set up with only one basic. He starts with a Trapinch and me with a electrike. I threw Zapdos out a turn early to avoid getting my two energys knocked off the board. He did 60 to me with Flygon. Crystal Shard throws the game in my favor.
1 - 0

Round 2 vs. Robert?/Jose? E with Salamence ex/Magcargo/Walrein (Sorry, forgots your first name)
He starts with Dunsparce so my recharger was relatively sfae even though he was going first. I get Zapdos ex out as planned and reversal to knock out his Bagon. Hmm, he only had one Bagon even though the goal of the deck seemed to be about using Salamence ex. Anyways, the game went my way from theere, I knocked out some other basics and like 1 or 2 Magcargo. He did get a Salamence out to knock out my Zappy but I knocked it out Electrode ex + Crystal Shard.
2 - 0

Round 3 vs Ant playing a Dark Dragonite/Dark Electrode deck
He got a bad start and I got a good one. Mt Moon works awesome against this type of deck and I soon emerge victorious.
3 - 0

Lunch Break, Taco Bell! Yum!

Round 4 vs Susan? playing Dark T-tar/Pidgeot
I don't know if the name is right, I remember she had a cool Ninja Turtle shirt though! :thumb: I think this deck was made with ZAppy in mind. I start out fast but she doesn't. She brings out basics to stall until Dark T-Tar eats my Zappy. Nothing else I had could have stood up to Dark T-Tar and she won the match.

3 - 1

Round 5 vs Robert?/Jose? E playing Gardevoir ex/Metagross (it's the other E-person)
He starts off by knocking out my recharger with Metagross second turn, Link Blast hurts meh! It went downhill from there, I manage to get two Zappys out but his Metagross and Gardevoir ex made short work of them.
3 - 2

Round 6 vs (I forgot your name, sorry!) playing Gardevoir/Wobuffet
I started off fast this round and knock out his Ralts, he brings out a Wynaut and evolved it to Wobuffet. My Manectric takes it out.
4 - 2

The finals I played people I already played throughout the tournament already and the results were no different.

Top 16 vs Jose?/Robert? with Salamence ex/Magcargo/Walrein
Both games, I get Zappy out fast and Reversal to knock out his Bagon. He starts with Dunsparce first turn both times, I'm surprised he never Strike and Run for more than one Bagon. I won both games against his army of Walrein and Magcargo. During the second game, I had to blow an Electrode ex to power up my Manectric + Shard to knock out his Salamence ex.

Top 8 vs Susan? with Dark T-Tar/Pidgeot
She wins both games as she disrupts my starting strategy by quickly knocking out my first Pokémon. And when I do get Zappy out, Dark T-Tar eats it.

So I get 4 packs for top 8. Congrats to everyone else that won. It was Tracy C, Patriarch, and someone in 10- that I don't know. Sorry, I'm usually hanging out with the 15+ people and most of the 11-14 people I already know from around my area.

PROs:
- I get to see everyone from out of Houston again!
- Great tournament, I must give a hand to ALL the judges!
- I got a Mudkip doll from a friend! ^_^

CONs:
- My bad memory for not remembering people's name and not being able to remember everything that happend!

Hey Phil!!!

Good job and congratulations on a job well done. You will have your day of fame, Phil.

Gj man. You have a very consistent record in the T8, whether it's north texas or south! ^_^

Ah, so Patriarch DID win, good. That makes me feel better about loosing to him in top eight :redface:

And I realize my mistakes. Out of the games I played, I always lost when I forgot to roll the :biggrin: DannyDie :biggrin:

So Lee lost in the finals. Sorry buddy, but I warned you of the Crobat EX karma :wink:

We shall never speak of the Snorlax GBA again, Xeno, you hear me? I mean, I can handle a loss, but like that? Oh, it still stings. I forgot to rub Paul's Trainer Deck B on my GBA. I should know better :wink:

Phil, we have to create some team name for us. It will bring us undeserved respect and make us look all cool and professional. Yeah! How about Team Pokemasteristhebest and friends! :thumb:

I think that, in retrospect, Muk EX would have been killer at the tournament. So much Dark T-Tar/Dark Ampharos, Blaziken, Dark Dragonite. It could have done really well. I think I might start bringing back one of Danny's old decks. It was so wicked...

Be afraid, greater Houston area, "Shrifty" is coming back!

Last edited:
Hey, Danny! I gotta remember to PM you or something.

Johnny, you won again, eh? I'm not surprise. =P

Remember, Brian, don't use Danny dice against me. Why? The dice will be confused on who's side it will want to be one. =P Anyways, aren't we all in Team Texas as we all live in Texas? o.o; How does this team thingy work?

Last edited:
lol, the Danny die is confusing! When Brian rolled it against me, it got tails! Then, when I rolled it against him, it got tails! Dear lord, it's obvious the only one who can get heads with it is Mauricio! @_@

Patriarch said:
lol, the Danny die is confusing! When Brian rolled it against me, it got tails! Then, when I rolled it against him, it got tails! Dear lord, it's obvious the only one who can get heads with it is Mauricio! @_@

LMAO

I have no clue what die you guys are talking about, you have to know how to use it. Put it with 20 facing up, and let it charge. Then after a few turns, blow on itt, say "A Bula bala Bula" and roll. If you are destined to win, the die will help you. If not, you will be doomed. Nevertheless, the die rolls with destiny.

The die we speak of is a blue D-20 with the number painted in white. Brian said you gave it to him on the last day of Pokémon League in Houston you went to. I just say "Danny, Bill's Maintenance needs your help!" and the die goes my way most of the time...

Xeno said:
The die we speak of is a blue D-20 with the number painted in white. Brian said you gave it to him on the last day of Pokémon League in Houston you went to. I just say "Danny, Bill's Maintenance needs your help!" and the die goes my way most of the time...

No, no, no, that's all wrong. He forgot it, and I ran after him when I realized, but it was too late. He was gone, like the wind. Was it a coincedence? Nay, it was fate! I knew then that I needed to charish the die, keep it safe and use it's power only for good, justice, freedom, or a win for me. Clutching the die, I realized that the die was a symbol, I WILL see Danny again...

*Brian clutches the die, and looks up at the sunset as the wind whips softly, all cool and mystic-anime-like* :cool:

The die does tend to get a bit confused, but I played against someone the other day and got 13 heads in a row. :thumb:

Last edited:
Pokemaster1110 said:
*Brian clutches the die, and looks up at the sunset as the wind whips softly, all cool and mystic-anime-like* :cool:

*Phillip looks downward and sighs (w/ mushroom cloud) while in front of a black and blue background*
Overdramatic a bit, aren't you?

*Patriarch does an anime-like fall 'cause everyone's acting like this is anime :confused:*

Back