Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

HGSS-on Yanmega/Magnezone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon Strife

Okay, so I have had my Yanmega/Magnezone built and I have been testing with it, and it feels like it needs some definite help. All comments and suggestions are welcome (V)(;,,;)(V)

Deck List:

4-3 Yanmega
4-2-3 Magnezone
1 Cleffa
1 Pachirisu

4 J'Arm
4 Candy
4 P.Comm.
3 Catcher
2 Switch
4 Collector
3 Copycat
4 Judge
2 Pluspower

2 Rescue
10 :lightning:

Basic Strategy of the deck is to get Yanmega and Magnezone set up ASAP. Use Judge and Copycat to make your hand size the same as your opponent's and attack with Yanmega early. Magnezone is good for both draw power and hitting big pokemon(Reshi, Zekrom, etc.). Kingdra is a tech against mostly the mirror but can be good as basically an automatic pluspower every turn.

So, comment, and gimme your thoughts you guys ^.^

Thanks,
~N.

Last edited:
Max out collector and Max out Yanma's and magnemites. You don't really need 4 rainbow energy at all, you're rarely going to attack with kingdra so cut 4 rainbows add a yanma, magnemite, lightning energy and a collector.

consistency is king.

i wouldnt use pachi & kingdra in the sme build since mess's with energy lines.

i would:
-1-1-1 kingdra
-4 rainbow

+1 magnemite
+1 yanma
+2 lightning
+2 pp (replaces kingdra)
+1 collector

reaosns are:
kingdra is becomming more clunky now that catcher is out and makes it a vunerable target in cases, either play 2-1-2 or drop it entirely.
PP replaces kingdra, less room taken up and you will only need that 10 extra damage in some cases.
4 collector = consistancy
4 magnemite and 4 yanma = ideal starters and having enough basics incase some are k'od early on.

12 energy is more than enough for magnezone, some decks run 10 but 12 is also suitable.

if you want to keep kingdra i would possibly do this:
-1 pachi
-2 rainbow
-2 lightning
-1 judge/copycat (whichever u prefer to be replaced)
-1 catcher

+1-0-1 kingdra
+1 yanma
+1 magnemite
+1 collector
+2 twins

reasons: with 2 stage 2's in the deck, it can be slower than other decks so twins been added allowing you to search any cards you need to get yourself out tight spots. Magnemite/yanma/collector have already been explained.

2-1-2 kingdra, is due to one of the 1-1-1 pieces have a higher chance of being prized. e.g. the horsea could be prized = dead kingdra and seadra in hand/deck. whilst if you run 2-1-2 then you will have a higher chance of being able to play a kingdra even if pieces are prized (unless 2 kingdra/2 horsea prized but thats a lower chance of happening than just 1)

anyways hope any of this helps

Last edited:
i wouldnt use pachi & kingdra in the sme build since mess's with energy lines.

i would:
-1-1-1 kingdra
-4 rainbow

+1 magnemite
+1 yanma
+2 lightning
+2 pp (replaces kingdra)
+1 collector

reaosns are:
kingdra is becomming more clunky now that catcher is out and makes it a vunerable target in cases, either play 2-1-2 or drop it entirely.
PP replaces kingdra, less room taken up and you will only need that 10 extra damage in some cases.
4 collector = consistancy
4 magnemite and 4 yanma = ideal starters and having enough basics incase some are k'od early on.

12 energy is more than enough for magnezone, some decks run 10 but 12 is also suitable.

if you want to keep kingdra i would possibly do this:
-1 pachi
-2 rainbow
-2 lightning
-1 judge/copycat (whichever u prefer to be replaced)
-1 catcher

+1-0-1 kingdra
+1 yanma
+1 magnemite
+1 collector
+2 twins

reasons: with 2 stage 2's in the deck, it can be slower than other decks so twins been added allowing you to search any cards you need to get yourself out tight spots. Magnemite/yanma/collector have already been explained.

2-1-2 kingdra, is due to one of the 1-1-1 pieces have a higher chance of being prized. e.g. the horsea could be prized = dead kingdra and seadra in hand/deck. whilst if you run 2-1-2 then you will have a higher chance of being able to play a kingdra even if pieces are prized (unless 2 kingdra/2 horsea prized but thats a lower chance of happening than just 1)

anyways hope any of this helps

All of your points here are really good. I did find that Kingdra was just a little hassle to try to get out, and if I didn't get it out then its evolution line was just used for p.comm. fodder. I don't always use 4 collector, but when I do, it's because of 2 responses saying to use 4. So, anyways, I will definitely be trying your suggestions today when I am playtesting. (V)(;,,;)(V)

I never liked 4 collector, i always insisted on 3. but then i found alot of lone basic starters without any positive way of getting more without using up resources. 4 collector to me is the safest and most consistant option for this deck. If you find yourself drawing multiple copies then they can become easy junk arm fodder.

Kingdra is just personnel pref, im testing it myself atm and debtating 2-1-2 kingdra & 1 rare cnady or 2 pp, 2 pachi & 2 lightning to see what i prefer. This and the fact i hate gothitelle and the extra energy accel could put me in a better position vs the trainer lock. Oh and the donk capibilities =)

Good luck with testing (Y)

4-3 yanmega
3-2-3 Zone
1-0-1 kingdra
1 pachi
1 jirachi
1 cleffa

4 collector
4 judge
3 copycat
1 seeker
4 communication
4 candy
3 catcher
2 switch
3 junk arm

2 rainbow
2 psy
8 Lightning

This is what I am running card-for-card

4-3 yanmega
3-2-3 Zone
1-0-1 kingdra
1 pachi
1 jirachi
1 cleffa

4 collector
4 judge
3 copycat
1 seeker
4 communication
4 candy
3 catcher
2 switch
3 junk arm

2 rainbow
2 psy
8 Lightning

This is what I am running card-for-card

Right before I saw your list I was playtesting with the suggestions given to me and saying to myself, "I think I should run Seeker or Scoop up in this deck" so I found it funny that you posted a deck list with seeker in it after I thought that xD. Anywho, your list looks good, and I think I may take a few ideas off of it. ^.^

4-4 Yanmega
3-2-3 Magnezone
1-0-1 Kingdra
1 Cleffa

4 J'Arm
4 Candy
4 P.Comm.
3 Catcher
2 Switch
4 Collector
4 Copycat
4 Judge

4 Rainbow
2 Rescue
6 Electric

Ever so slight changes, make consistancy that much easier. Collector is amazing for Yanmega, you can grab 3, 2,1 or even make it fail, in order to match hands, incredibly useful, I've seen it used almost as often as copycat/judge. Dropping rainbows entirely, or simply dropping electric down 2, Your goal is never to attack with Kingdra if you can help it, but to bench. I'd stick 4-4 Yanmega, those are your bread and butter here, assuming you lose 1, and 1 is prized, at 3-3 you're in some deep trouble. I've also found this deck adores Tropical Beach (If you find one).

Really though, can't stress enough the need for 4-4-4 CopyCat/Judge/Collector for matching.

kingdra slows this deck down.
*take out kingdra for:
a) psychic energy and jirachi
b) more yanma and magnemite
c) 1 more pachi and more electric

Well, I ran my alternative version of this at Battle Roads. Some ridiculously stiff competition, saw several PokeGym members there.

4-4 Yanmega
3-2-3 Magnezone
2-1-2 Kingdra

3 J'Arm
4 Candy
4 P.Comm.
2 Catcher
2 Switch
4 Collector
2 Copycat
3 Judge
1 Lost Remover
1 Cheren
1 Tropical Beach

3 Rainbow
2 Rescue
7 Electric

Went 3-3.

Findings:

Kingdra was very useful, but I definitely think I should have subbed those rainbows out for something else. The 1 Rainbow put Kingdra into range of Reshirams attack, as well as in range of Donphan 2 shots.

I regret not following my own stupid advice and not running 4 Judge, would have been far more helpful I think. Copycat, I think 2, maybe 3 may actually be enough, taking into account magnezones ability, it's easier than I anticipated to match when low, copycat only helps really when I'm locked, or they're above the 6 card size.

Tropical Beach...I borrowed this from a friend, wasn't sure if it would be a worthwhile addition, and still can't say for sure. It's useful for when I run across ZPS, and need to rely on Magnezone more than Yanmega, but really, my goal is to be attacking every turn with Yanmega.

Pokemon Lines: I think that in the future I'll swap the lines up a bit more, I like the 2 kingdra a lot, later on in the match, if by some chance I have 2 Kingdra up, I can actually double plus power +1 lost burn to knock out pretty much any basic, and several stage 1s. Plus, if Magnezone is up front, and they take 2+ turns to drop it, Kingdra has already done enough damage that Yanmega can do plenty. I think I plan on tossing in a Pachi or two for energy acceleration, I didn't expect as much ZPST as I saw, I mean I knew it was coming, but out of 6 matches, 2 TyRam, 3 ZPST and 1 Stage 1 means I need to prepare for more ZPST slugmatches with Magnezone. Also think 3 Magnemite/zone isn't enough, going to tweak it to 4-2-4 when I find out how.

Overall, fun deck to play, and think it did well, I misplayed several times, so I likely could have done better. I'm going to tweak this a bit more before Nationals, and if the new Deck I'm working on doesn't work out nicely, I can definitely fall back on this for a decent outcome.

Hey guys so I kind've want to try out Xtransceiver in this deck because it can get out judges and copycats when I need them, but i dont know what to take out/ even try them in this deck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back