Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Yet another LudiCargo

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenuredprof

I know that there have been a number of LudiCargo threads -- and there will probably be many more -- but this is a somewhat different variant. I am not a player but am interested in the theory of Pokemon, and I would be grateful for the advice of experienced players.

As I see it, the biggest problems with LudiCargo are (1) potentially slow set-ups, (2) an inability to hit the bench, (3) deadly electric weakness, and (4) susceptibility to special conditions. I think that I can handle (2)-(4); the question is whether one has sacrificed too much of (1) in the process. Here is my current lineup:

4 Lotad (2 Surprise, 2 CG)
2 Lombre (CG)
4 Ludicolo (1 Happy, 2 Swing, 1 CG)
2 Slugma (DX)
2 Magcargo (DX)
2 Gulpin (CG)
2 Swalot (CG)
1 Smoochum (UF)
2 Jynx (UF)
1 Shining Latias (DX)

2 DRE
1 Scramble
3 Holon Magneton/Electrode
2 Holon FF
2 Holon WP
3 Water
3 Fire

4 Battle Frontier

2 Rare Candy
2 Reversal
1 Switch

4 Celio's Network
2 Holon Mentor or Lanette (not sure which)
1 Holon Farmer
1 Scott
5 Draw cards of choice (Copycat will be nice when it comes back)

The rationale for Jynx is that it works well as a disruptive starter, can buy time in a desperate pinch, and can reach the bench when that proves crucial. Unless Jynx is evolved, it can take time to build up the three energies, but if the Poke Powers are up and running, it should be possible to get the cards. The rationale for Swalot is that it can also buy time if things are looking grim and takes advantage of grass weakness, which I suspect is becoming increasing important. (The alternative to Swalot, if psychic weakness seems more prevalent, is the Extra Ball Grumpig, but Swalot has the benefit of having a serious attack for only colorless energy.)

The energies are a tough mix. Holon WP can handle special conditions, while Holon FF can deal with weakness. Given the power of the LudiCargo search engine, why not take advantage of both, especially with Magnetons and Electrodes to spread things around?

Of course, once one has put in 22 pokemon, 16 energies, and 4 stadiums (I would dearly love to add another stadium, such as Low Pressure System, but I do not see room), that does not leave a lot of space for trainers. I have only two Rare Candies, which may be a serious mistake. The two reversals are perhaps questionable, but if one is up against something like Shiftry Ex or Politoed Ex, a reversal plus a Shining Latias seems like a nice combination to have available. There are no Windstorms. Is there any deck that will make serious use of Cessation Crystal that LudiCargo cannot simply overpower, even without the Poke Powers? The supporter set is also very thin, especially since the pokemon do not include any basic-searching cards such as Plusle, Tauros, or Luvdisc.

Sixty cards forces trade-offs. One possible solution is to dump a Smoochum and a Jynx and go with only one Jynx as a potential bench-hitting threat. Another alternative is to go 3-2-3 on Ludicolo, but the Happy Dance Ludicolo is so useful that it hurts to part with it. However, if one takes either of these moves, what would be the best use of the available slots?

Thank you all in advance.

What the hell is this?
Adding random stage 1s into Ludi, while taking away starters and the holon engine doesn't solve anything, it only creates more problems.

way too heavily teched.

focus your line on ludi/cargo with one tech if you really need it.

you need a starter to HELP you start up your ludicargo, not stall (like your rationale for jynx).

I agree with garsh0p. Also, I don't see Swalot CG fitting in this deck, there's no strategy with it (tell me if i'm wrong)

Why Jynx? Why Swalot?

One of the main virtues of LudiCargo is the flexibility that the search machine provides. One way to take advantage of that flexibility is through various tools, but that has increasing disadvantages. Another way is to utilize a wider variety of Pokemon and energies than one can get away with in most decks. Jynx is there to provide some means for reaching the bench, which strikes me as vital and is lacking in the generic LudiCargo. If you are forced to start with it, worse things could happen, but its main objective is to do clean-up work when something retreats 20 or 30 short of a knockout. I originally had Grumpig in the spot now occupied by Swalot, but switched after reflecting on what cards (other than the obvious electrics) are likely to cause the most trouble -- Politoed Ex and Shiftry Ex came immediately to mind, and they are both weak to grass. Also Swalot is very versatile; there is almost no situation in which it cannot be useful.

If you think that this list is a mess, then you probably do not want to hear about the version that I toyed with that used a 2-2 Medicham Ex instead of Swalot and Jynx.

tenuredprof said:
One of the main virtues of LudiCargo is the flexibility that the search machine provides. One way to take advantage of that flexibility is through various tools, but that has increasing disadvantages. Another way is to utilize a wider variety of Pokemon and energies than one can get away with in most decks. Jynx is there to provide some means for reaching the bench, which strikes me as vital and is lacking in the generic LudiCargo. If you are forced to start with it, worse things could happen, but its main objective is to do clean-up work when something retreats 20 or 30 short of a knockout. I originally had Grumpig in the spot now occupied by Swalot, but switched after reflecting on what cards (other than the obvious electrics) are likely to cause the most trouble -- Politoed Ex and Shiftry Ex came immediately to mind, and they are both weak to grass. Also Swalot is very versatile; there is almost no situation in which it cannot be useful.

If you think that this list is a mess, then you probably do not want to hear about the version that I toyed with that used a 2-2 Medicham Ex instead of Swalot and Jynx.

its true that the search engine allows more techs than normal, but your deck is COMPLETELY overteched. you won't be able to pull out a ludicargo pair to be ABLE to search. jynx is too slow for this deck.

and there is a serious situation where swalot is not useful: when it has no energy. swalot is also very slow.

you also definitely need a starter. plusle, tauros, luvdisc, or jirachi + holon engine. whatever floats your boat. you need to get set up, and fast. you can't play this deck hoping to use various pokemon to "stall" your opponent and buy you time. you will simply get overrun that way.

entirely remove the swalot line and replace them with more 3smoochum and 1jynx to allow you to get smoochums as your starter. take out all of the fire ,holon FF and 2 electrode. add in 2 H castform, 1H magnemite, 1DRE and 2 water. with four of the same gym and only one copy of scott, it seems unnecessary. with the two remaining places add two trancievers.

-2swallot
-2gulpin
-3 fire
-2 holon FF
-2 H trode
-1 scott
+2 H castform
+1DRE
+2 water
+2 H transcievers
+1 jynx
+3 smoochum

Thanks -- and a more traditional re-build.

Thank you all for your comments. They have indeed led me back to a more traditional LudiCargo, which should not be surprising. I am, however, still obsessed with the idea of being able to attack the bench, so what do experienced folks think about Marowak? In addition to reaching the bench, it can take advantage of fighting weakness, and the 90-to-metal attack has a lot of uses (it certainly helps against my wife's MetaNite).

3 Lotad (CG)
2 Lombre (CG)
4 Ludicolo (2 Swing, 1 Happy, 1 CG)
2 Slugma (UF)
2 Magcargo (DX Smooth Over)
2 Cubone (DS)
2 Marowak (DS)
3 Tauros
1 Shining Latias

1 Scramble
2 DRE
3 Holon Magneton/Electrode
1 Warp
1 Delta Rainbow
2 Holon WP
6 Water

4 Battle Frontier

3 Rare Candy
2 Reversal

4 Celio
3 Lanette
1 Holon Farmer
1 Briney
4 Bill's Maintenance
1 Professor Birch

The energy mix has caused me a lot of problems, but without any Switches, the Warp seems necessary (and can be reclaimed and reused with Holons or Briney). I am also going with Lanette rather than the Holon engine, partly to avoid the effect of Disconnect, Sever, or Radar Jam, but also because space is very tight in this deck and Lanette is leaner. The drawing cards are mainly place-holders until Copycat comes back. There are no Windstorms, because I think that this deck can stand without the PokePowers if it must.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back